Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The wood complaints are valid. That wood that built old-London/Zurich/Philly - that's not the same wood that drives modern projects. There's (a dime a dozen) complaints from all over about the quality these wood structures provide for. Just look at Velocity or Pine St Flats or the new Melrose. All wood structures with paper thin walls and stick frame.

Some are for sure. There are also examples of it being done well and nicely. I think that project across from the bars on Demonbreun is really excellent. I don't hate Velocity at all. Pine Street is kind of disappointing but does have a tall concrete base. Now, Eleven North... Oh dear. Melrose... Oh boy. Yup. Bad.

Some are for sure. There are also examples of it being done well and nicely. I think that project across from the bars on Demonbreun is really excellent. I don't hate Velocity at all. Pine Street is kind of disappointing but does have a tall concrete base. Now, Eleven North... Oh dear. Melrose... Oh boy. Yup. Bad.

Concrete base is a structural/codes requirement to have retail. 

The point is - what's being built, stick frame - is generally cloaked in, well, cheap crap. They're synonymous with each other, which is why that is frequently associated.

Just let it go... people have aired their opinions. They won't always like the stuff you like, but you don't need to be so defensive.

Who's defensive again? I didn't start slinging mud at ongoing projects. I don't like folks hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet and making broad generalizations about the lack of talent of the industry. That is what I found out of line more then an opinion on an ugly building. I agree... The CHS building is disappointing.

I really do want to know what you believe is the Class B building corporate HQ going up in the core?

I'm not picking a fight on this. I really want to hear what you find as a substandard building currently under construction. (Chain hotels excluded.)

Concrete base is a structural/codes requirement to have retail.

The point is - what's being built, stick frame - is generally cloaked in, well, cheap crap. They're synonymous with each other, which is why that is frequently associated.

You can build retail in a wood base. To go six stories it has to be a concrete base or to do type 5 at five stories it has to be concrete. The concrete is not a code requirement except to achieve extra height. For example, the 12 South Flats building where Josephine's is, is all wood with an underground concrete parking deck.

I don't think they are synonymous, just in perception. That is what I was originally reacting to. I think that is unfair. Wood can be an excellent construction material even in its modern lumber yard form. The baseline structural requirements are very stringent now making the actual structure pretty stout.

The exterior materials being used are, for the most part, total crap. They will not age well. That's the real throw away nature of these buildings to me. Renovations do and can happen over time. These can be rehabilitated as well.

Nashville is a conservative market, part of the reason we didn't receive the hard collapse during the housing bubble implosion. That conservatism extends to the companies that exist here (themselves an extension of their employees and leadership) and bears out in what they believe to be financially responsible decisions about corporate real estate investments. It makes sense that Nashville would attract such companies--a relatively low cost of living, no state income taxes, a corporate friendly state- and local government generously handing out TIF and retention packages. With that in mind it I guess it shouldn't really surprise most of us that we end up with rather conservative looking, seemingly designed-by-committee buildings. A conservative company is not going to hire a Calatrava or a Gehry, they're going to hire a local arch firm that typically designs building for, well, other local conservative companies. It's right in their wheelhouse.

Taking Nashville to the next level--architecturally speaking--will happen in two ways (IMO): a massive corporate location by a company that likes to make a splash, or a slowly rising tide of competition between companies and developers that are competing for a tightening pool of talent, clients, tenants, etc. (Please excuse the water-related metaphors)

As much as it pains me to say it, I'm kind of glad that CHS went the conservative route. Healthcare costs in this country are high enough already, so I can't imagine building a billion-dollar, towering architectural masterpiece downtown would help in that department.

• Like 2

And speaking of design, the apartment project taking place of the Gossett Building isn't a unique situation to Nashville. It is happening in nearly every single city right now because it's the trend and until folks demand most aesthetics and unique buildings, this will continue. Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Charlotte, Saint Louis, and the list could go forever it seems. Millennials a want apartments and this are quick concept, execution, and delivery designs because money talks. All these cities, exception probably Saint Louis, for now, also have some high rise projects but they're far less common than these low-rise stick frame structures. The skyline picture of Buckhead, which isn't suburban at all anymore by any means, showcased several different high rise booms. 1980s office, and then the 90s-current high-rise office relocations as well as condo boom.

I realize emotions can get away with every person here. It has happened to the best of us. If you really want to argue your point, please do it via PM’s or email.Everyone here has a lot to bring to the table.

Remember we can agree to disagree about some points, but please, the written word can be very harsh at times and taken the wrong way.

Let cool heads prevail here. I value everyone’s opinion and each of you has a wealth of knowledge.
I do not want anyone to get mad, upset, suicidal, and homicidal over the issues we discuss here. ( at least the first two, not the last two)JK. We can all act like adults.

The last thing I want to see is someone leave over a small disagreement that escalates into an all out war of words.

Thanks

• Like 3

I realize emotions can get away with every person here. It has happened to the best of us. If you really want to argue your point, please do it via PM’s or email.Everyone here has a lot to bring to the table.

Remember we can agree to disagree about some points, but please, the written word can be very harsh at times and taken the wrong way.

Let cool heads prevail here. I value everyone’s opinion and each of you has a wealth of knowledge.

I do not want anyone to get mad, upset, suicidal, and homicidal over the issues we discuss here. ( at least the first two, not the last two)JK. We can all act like adults.

The last thing I want to see is someone leave over a small disagreement that escalates into an all out war of words.

Thanks

We can take it to Maury or to Jerry.  At least then we can get paid for it there.

-==-

• Like 1

Nashville is a conservative market, part of the reason we didn't receive the hard collapse during the housing bubble implosion. That conservatism extends to the companies that exist here (themselves an extension of their employees and leadership) and bears out in what they believe to be financially responsible decisions about corporate real estate investments. It makes sense that Nashville would attract such companies--a relatively low cost of living, no state income taxes, a corporate friendly state- and local government generously handing out TIF and retention packages. With that in mind it I guess it shouldn't really surprise most of us that we end up with rather conservative looking, seemingly designed-by-committee buildings. A conservative company is not going to hire a Calatrava or a Gehry, they're going to hire a local arch firm that typically designs building for, well, other local conservative companies. It's right in their wheelhouse.

Taking Nashville to the next level--architecturally speaking--will happen in two ways (IMO): a massive corporate location by a company that likes to make a splash, or a slowly rising tide of competition between companies and developers that are competing for a tightening pool of talent, clients, tenants, etc. (Please excuse the water-related metaphors)

As much as it pains me to say it, I'm kind of glad that CHS went the conservative route. Healthcare costs in this country are high enough already, so I can't imagine building a billion-dollar, towering architectural masterpiece downtown would help in that department.

Agreed about Nashville having more conservative companies. We do not have huge financial headquarters or large oil companies. We have healthcare! Which in many ways is better for the overall Nashville economy, but not so great or building trophy towers.

Plans for Elliot School / parking lot

The plans call for two separate 3-story buildings totaling 75 residential units. The historic Elliot school building that fronts Jefferson will remain and likely be converted to residential as well. Street-level retail/commercial space and underground parking. 

Manuel Zeitlin are the architects.  

Edited by Bezoar

I guess the point being is I am over it. All of it. I am more excited about the Ballpark, The Amphitheater, and grand civic projects that people ACTUALLY notice.  In my countless hours of walking downtown I have never heard a tourist mention an office or condo tower as something about Nashville they choose to remember. They are more concerned about what Country star they happened to meet.

I met one guy who looked up at the Sobro crane because he poured concrete in New Jersey for some towers going up in Jersey City. I saw one woman take a snapshot of the ATT Tower. That's it.

Seems that the AT&T tower is getting shorter and shorter in focal noticeability, "don't it? "  Pretty soon all we'll be able to see from afar will be the Bat-ears. (oops... I might've pushed a button [or 2])

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Plans for Elliot School / parking lot

The plans call for two separate 3-story buildings totaling 75 residential units. The historic Elliot school building that fronts Jefferson will remain and likely be converted to residential as well. Street-level retail/commercial space and underground parking. 

Manuel Zeitlin are the architects.  

Link doesn't work.  Could you re-post?  Thanks.  : )