Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Yes, the tomb was relocated when the mansion was demolished. The frustrating point here is that President Polk explicitly had himself (and later, Mrs. Polk) interred on the grounds of the mansion in order that it be preserved for posterity. And yet, he was unceremoniously dug up (and the wife) and planted on the grounds of the capitol. Absolutely appalling and disrespectful.

I could understand if he were a truly unpopular figure, a place wanting to "forget them" (like Andrew Johnson was here, Governor when Nashville was the most heavily fortified occupied city in the nation, yet even in Republican East TN, where he ended up not being well-regarded either, his home is still preserved in Greeneville). It is worth noting at the time of Polk's election, Nashville (and Tennessee) were Whig strongholds, so Democrat Polk failed to carry either in 1844 (it went to Kentuckian Henry Clay), but Nashville was strongly Dem after Reconstruction, so whatever "dislikes" the city might've held for him decades earlier would've been forgotten and forgiven, and his mansion a centerpiece for visitors paying their respects.

As far as I know, I believe the mansion's demolition is without equal where Presidential residences are concerned. I think it only right and fitting for the city to acquire as much of the land the mansion sat on and reconstruct it (I believe the mansion plans still exist) and reassemble the Polk heirlooms, which probably got sent off or sold off, and re-inter him and Mrs. Polk back on the grounds where he wished to spend his eternity. The city owes him that much.

"...re-inter him and Mrs. Polk back on the grounds..."

...before that currently occupying 1960 structure yet again gets transferred and imminently redeveloped, since from henceforth until that time ─ and indeed it will eventually become candidate for redevelopment ─ stands the only window of opportunity for such "repatriating" the relocated, if not (in effect) "desecrated" tomb.  As prohibitive as such a cost might seem now, it would become many more times that amount, to reclaim the property if something were to be erected, on the lines of the same height of the neighboring Sheraton (formerly Regency Hyatt), across 7th Ave. (and even worse, the permanent closing of Polk Ave to form an even larger parcel for an aspiring developer).

-==-

• Like 1

While we are talking history here guys, I have a question one of you may be able to answer. There is a large hewn rock wall on Gleaves street in the Gulch. Any idea what the wall was for originally?

That's one of the retaining walls that I referred to in a post in the Capitol View thread on Jan 13

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116273-capitol-view-northwestern-mutualhca-32-acres-of-mixed-use/page-11#entry1340125

The remains of that wall and others like it were constructed as part of the original joint L&N (Louisville & Nashville), NC&StL (Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis) RR gulch facility during the late 19th c.  They can be seen at Gleaves, behind Velocity (below Magazine St.), behind Eleven-North, east of the Charlotte Ave RR underpass, and on Tenth Ave across from the TSU - Avon Williams campus.

Those stones would be nice to have as landscapers, wouldn't they? (would need a fork-truck to move even just one of 'em)

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

I received a community meeting notification regarding an area-wide zone change being proposed by Metro Planning.  This would affect HVB properties between Jefferson and Scovel, and along Rosa Parks Blvd up to Monroe St.  The proposed Zoning District would be the Downtown Code (DTC) Zoning District.  Read all about it:  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/subarea8/DTC%20Zone%20Change%20Community%20Meeting%20Notice.pdf

• Like 3

I like it.... (oh forgive me!!) but shouldn't the Sobro be just a wee bit taller?  I had envisioned near the top of the last setback on Pinnacle.  And does anyone have any good idea just how tall the Bridgestone will look.  Like the others peeking around the back there.  Good job... goes a long way in helping visualize how that will look.  Thanks!

Edited by MLBrumby

I received a community meeting notification regarding an area-wide zone change being proposed by Metro Planning.  This would affect HVB properties between Jefferson and Scovel, and along Rosa Parks Blvd up to Monroe St.  The proposed Zoning District would be the Downtown Code (DTC) Zoning District.  Read all about it:  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/subarea8/DTC%20Zone%20Change%20Community%20Meeting%20Notice.pdf

At this point I'm skeptical of how this change will impact the current residents and businesses within the new area. What is the real purpose? Most of that area is already developed other than a few vacant lots. One of the few vacant lots is the site of the proposed condo development and that lot is completely carved out of the zoning. What is the reasoning behind carving that area out?

At this point I'm skeptical of how this change will impact the current residents and businesses within the new area. What is the real purpose? Most of that area is already developed other than a few vacant lots. One of the few vacant lots is the site of the proposed condo development and that lot is completely carved out of the zoning. What is the reasoning behind carving that area out?

That SP zoning was likely requested by the developer of that lot, so maybe they didn't want to interfere with that since ground has not yet broken?  

There's actually quite a bit of vacant land in this area - most of which is owned by the 15th Ave Baptist Church (paradoxically located on 9th ave N).  They've actually have a little bit of a development business on the side, mainly focused on affordable housing in the area.  They're responsible for the mixed use building on the corner of Jefferson and 10th, as well as the old folks home between Scovel.

and Rev. Dr. Enoch Jones Blvd.  

Also in this area is the Vacant Church beside the O'Reiley's on Rosa Parks.  This is on the market for lease, for non-churchy uses.  There's an interesting conceptual sketch on thier website.  Would make a neat restaurant, or something.  http://www.colliers.com/en-us/p-usa1005992

As for the ultimate goal of this, I have no idea!  There's a community meeting coming up on the topic. . . . 

Edited by Bezoar

During the last few months as I saunter along 6th Ave, from Union to Church St., I have started noticing the old Capitol Blvd. Building, with its squatty twin towers adjoining 6th Ave and the parallel Capitol Blvd.  With an external renovation, that structure could be tranformed into a post-modern classic, with its characteristic acid brick finish and curved corners on its S/E and S/W facings.

capitolblvd1_zps752ced99.jpg ____ capitolblvd2_zps976827d7.jpg

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

During the last few months as I saunter along 6th Ave, from Union to Church St., I have started noticing the old Capitol Blvd. Building, with its squatty twin towers adjoining 6th Ave and the parallel Capitol Blvd.  With an external renovation, that structure cold be made into a post-modern classic, with its characteristic acid brick finish and curved corners on its S/E and S/W facings.

capitolblvd1_zps752ced99.jpg ____ capitolblvd2_zps976827d7.jpg

-==-

Would love to see them add 10 floors to this building.

• Like 1

Just noticed that the garage at the corner of Rosa Parks (8th Ave) and Church is closing at the end of the month. Any word on future plans?

No, but I saw that yesterday, too.   It didn't say temporarily closed for repairs, it said "will be closed."    The only reason to close a garage is if it's become structurally unsafe or the property is about to be redeveloped.   

Is that the garage Westover residents use for parking?    

No, but I saw that yesterday, too.   It didn't say temporarily closed for repairs, it said "will be closed."    The only reason to close a garage is if it's become structurally unsafe or the property is about to be redeveloped.   

I thought that was a property Tony G owned and once hinted he might build residential on it. You think there would have been rumors leaking out if anything were impending.

Hopefully the former, because I really hope that no one is building where a parking garage is instead of one of the big empty lots somewhere. Parking garages aren't what we need to get rid of...

That SP zoning was likely requested by the developer of that lot, so maybe they didn't want to interfere with that since ground has not yet broken?  

There's actually quite a bit of vacant land in this area - most of which is owned by the 15th Ave Baptist Church (paradoxically located on 9th ave N).  They've actually have a little bit of a development business on the side, mainly focused on affordable housing in the area.  They're responsible for the mixed use building on the corner of Jefferson and 10th, as well as the old folks home between Scovel.

and Rev. Dr. Enoch Jones Blvd.  

Also in this area is the Vacant Church beside the O'Reiley's on Rosa Parks.  This is on the market for lease, for non-churchy uses.  There's an interesting conceptual sketch on thier website.  Would make a neat restaurant, or something.  http://www.colliers.com/en-us/p-usa1005992

As for the ultimate goal of this, I have no idea!  There's a community meeting coming up on the topic. . . .

Yeah I posted the ad for that church on Rosa Parks a couple of pages ago. The vacant land next to it will not be sold to a developer. 15th Ave does own a lot of property and they are actually attempting to acquire more. Mt Zion is also planning a development on the Hope Gardens side. None of those properties will be sold to "developers". It just seems that this is more of an attempt to control the outlined area as opposed to truly provide any benefit. If you attend the meeting post back regarding what they say.

Wow. I've learned something new. I never knew such a machine existed, or that it was a widow maker!

I also can't see why they needed one of those things in a two level garage. I mean I know there were lazy parking attendants but, really, one flight of stairs?

Edit: strike that, just re read and you were saying this one didn't have a valet decapitator. Still fascinating and would make a good horror movie prop.

Edited by CenterHill