Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I'm getting the feeling that several "caps" or just bridges to reconnect many of those streets would do more for that area than a park. 

But there is still a ton of risk of major gentrification after better connectivity which needs to be looked at. 

Perhaps a more punitive tax for new homebuyers when buying from an individual or family who has lived in an area for generations. 

I think that would end up hurting the existing owners more than anything. I think gentrification is a real tough battle and there's not much intervention that can be made that isn't going to filter down to having negative impacts on incumbent property owners. There really aren't many immediate "bad guys" to go after, the problem stems from decades of racism and official neglect and the existing low levels wealth and political power of the long term residents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

That was all that was needed to push an interstate through it without any thought about how it would impact the overall community. 

There was plenty of thought on how it would affect the community.  The interstate was intentionally used to destroy it.  This was  a racist policy done in almost every city in the U.S. with a black community.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, think365 said:

There was plenty of thought on how it would affect the community.  The interstate was intentionally used to destroy it.  This was  a racist policy done in almost every city in the U.S. with a black community.   

Absolutely. The puzzle to me is, it seems like one would want to put the interstate through your own neighborhood, so you have easy access to it! So why stick it off away from where you need it most? And full circle back to quote above...

5 minutes ago, think365 said:

Trust me I know this fact.  I should have been a more direct in that statement.  I-40 destroyed several Black neighborhoods along its path.  As did so many other interstates, highway, bypasses, etc. throughout this country.  This cap that is being discussed only addresses the disruption to Jefferson Street.  But, lets not forget that Blacks homes and additional businesses were destroyed as I-40 pushed through the westside of downtown and the southside side.  I-65 and Ellington Pkwy did the same on the eastside.  My father's family lived on Main Street in what I think might be the last home remaining on the north side of Main Street.  It's now owned by First Baptist Church East Nashville.  As a kid, he had friends that lived in the area east of I-65 up to where Ellington Pkwy. comes through.  He said the area had a mix of homes and light industrial type businesses.  Because of segregation, kids in that area had to catch a city bus or walk to Pearl High School.  They couldn't go to East High School.  So,  yeah, I know the impact of the interstates was intentional and reached beyond Jefferson Street.

28 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

Absolutely. The puzzle to me is, it seems like one would want to put the interstate through your own neighborhood, so you have easy access to it! So why stick it off away from where you need it most? And full circle back to quote above...

Interstates were driven by commerce more so than convenience for moving about within a city.  The side benefit to interstates was it made leisure travel easier as well.  Development followed interstates.  Except in predominantly Black neighborhoods.  Interstates also contributed to the growth of the suburbs.

On 4/21/2021 at 5:55 PM, Nashvillain said:

To set an example...?

One wears a mask to protect reduce spread.   He's in no danger while having his photo taken.  
It's a political reason he's wearing it. Not a medical reason.  It just looks ridiculous and yet another reason people that gesture this way are taken less seriously.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, MLBrumby said:

Because the construction workers have to keep backing up and stepping aside to let the other workers pass by.  Just slows things down. 

The city recently wrapped up some major stormwater work on Molloy / Almond / KVB in that area(complete with extended road closures), so that probably set them back a bit.