Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

MLS Commissioner mentions Nashville among 4 cities gaining momentum.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/08/03/nashville-one-four-cities-energized-major-league-soccer-expansion-commissioner-says/536075001/

Reading up on the Detroit situation, it looks like the city could still decide to not grant the land for MLS and continue building the jail. There is still work to be done- the city just moved forward on negotiations and did not reject the MLS proposal.

In my opinion our best chance would be to get the stadium financing approved before December. Praying!!!

Nah, the deal is happening (BTW, Wayne County owns the site, not the City of Detroit). Warren Evans is basically posturing with his comments at this point to bolster his negotiation leverage and also keep the contractor warm in the highly unlikely event that they can't etch something in stone with Gilbert / Gores.

In reality, the only "roadblock" is determining any potential penalties the IRS will impose on Wayne County, as tax credits were awarded for the jail project that won't be completed. 

Edited by urbanplanet17

Vanderbilt fans don’t want to share a new off-campus football stadium with a potential Major League Soccer expansion franchise.

That sentiment was repeated loudly by any Commodore fan willing to speak on the hot topic at Saturday’s Dore Jam, the annual Vanderbilt football fan event.

"College football is meant to be played on campus,” said fan Chris Gleason. “And you can’t tell me that it would be the same off campus. No one here actually believes that.”

Two hours of casual conversations at Dore Jam did not yield a single Vanderbilt fan in favor of moving home games off campus, even if it meant playing in a new state-of-the-art stadium costing between $175 million and $250 million.

I can't say that I blame them.  Here's the rest of the article:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2017/08/05/vanderbilt-football-fans-say-no-off-campus-stadium-mls/530874001/

I know it wouldn't be possible but what would be pretty cool would be if Vanderbilt and the potential soccer team could build the soccer/football stadium where Vandy's current stadium is. Maybe the soccer team foots most of the bill but gets like a 30 year lease to use the stadium on Vandy land, with the 'Dores using the stadium during football season. I think midtown would be a nice area for a pro franchise. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Two hours of casual conversations at Dore Jam did not yield the single Vanderbilt fan in favor of moving home games off campus, even if it meant playing in a new state-of-the-art stadium costing between $175 million and $250 million.

Fixed

4 hours ago, Titans10 said:

Wilf family, owners of the Minnesota Vikings, joins Nashville's MLS ownership group

Ok, that's pretty huge. I love making our bid with seasoned pro-sports savvy ownership. Many advantages there....though I don't know much about the Wilf family.

Edited by Flatrock
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

What page on SSC is this on? I cant seem to find it.

It's in the Main page - Stadiums - Soccer Stadiums of US & Canada  forum. Or something like that.

I cropped the original picture which included a rendering of the Raleigh proposal, so it is fairly recent.

Edited by PHofKS