Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Just as a FYI, it looks like the MLS is going to officially award Miami their franchise on Wednesday, since the stadium situation has been straightened out.

Meanwhile, in Detroit, Wayne County has reached a tentative agreement to sell the jail site to Gilbert / Gores. They're just working out the finer details right now. If everything is etched in stone by September, construction would start in March 2018 and would be finished by November 2020.

Edited by urbanplanet17

3 minutes ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Just as a FYI, it looks like the MLS is going to officially award Miami their franchise on Wednesday, since the stadium situation has been straightened out.

Meanwhile, in Detroit, Wayne County has reached a tentative agreement to sale the jail site to Gilbert / Gores. They're just working out the finer details right now. If everything is etched in stone by September, construction would start in March 2018 and would be finished in November 2020.

Terrible news. 

So then it's Miami, Detroit, Cincinnati, and Sacramento most likely, right?  IF that's true (and I do stress IF... I know nothing definitive) We'll get em next time...and actually, it literally seems a near certainty that we will get a franchise next expansion.  It just wasn't Nashville's time just yet... no shame in that.  We've never even had a pro soccer franchise on any level thus far... can't be too disappointed that we fell just short of going from 0-100 in an instant.  

Edited by BnaBreaker

11 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

So then it's Miami, Detroit, Cincinnati, and Sacramento most likely, right?  IF that's true (and I do stress IF... I know nothing definitive) We'll get em next time...and actually, it literally seems a near certainty that we will get a franchise next expansion.  It just wasn't Nashville's time just yet... no shame in that.  We've never even had a pro soccer franchise on any level thus far... can't be too disappointed that we fell just short of going from 0-100 in an instant.  

I still think Nashville has a better shot at landing a team than Cincinnati and Sacramento. The city has a billionaire backer and it is in a perfect spot to fill the market void between Atlanta, KC, DC and Columbus.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Miami was already assumed to be included as team number 24, and then there were 4 more expansion teams to be named. 

All else being equal, I still don't see why the MLS would choose Cincinnati (just 100 miles from Columbus who has a team) if there are other candidates. I could understand if it's a major city. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Miami was already assumed to be included as team number 24, and then there were 4 more expansion teams to be named. 

All else being equal, I still don't see why the MLS would choose Cincinnati (just 100 miles from Columbus who has a team) if there are other candidates. I could understand if it's a major city. 

Thanks for the correction regarding Miami.  I didn't realize they were already in.  Definitely not as much of a closed book situation for Nashville as I had assumed.

As for Cincinnati, you make some good points, and ordinarily I'd agree with you, but I mean, if it works it works, and I've got to imagine that the smashing success of Cincy's minor league team despite the close proximity of the Columbus Crew provides a pretty good indicator to MLS leadership that it would, in fact, work.  It's not like there isn't enough people to go around with the Cincy CSA standing at 2.2 million and Columbus's CSA standing at 2.4 (both larger than Nashville.)  

Edited by BnaBreaker

I think Cincinnati would be a great MLS market. I'm just thinking from MLS' perspective- I would imagine it would be better to have the teams more spread out across the country, unless it were two major cities in close proximity (NYC/Philly). 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I think Cincinnati would be a great MLS market. I'm just thinking from MLS' perspective- I would imagine it would be better to have the teams more spread out across the country, unless it were two major cities in close proximity (NYC/Philly). 

I totally agree that in terms of the Nashville vs. Cincinnati match-up it is definitely a feather in Nashville's cap.  I just can't imagine it'd be enough to kill Cincy's chances altogether.  But we shall find out soon enough!  Fingers crossed we'll see Nashville FC in the bright lights in the not too distant future!

• Like 1

I would be okay with missing out on this expansion window.  Like someone said it basically locks us in for the next expansion slot of if someone has to relocate.  It also allows us time to get a pro team here and start building recurring support.  It would also allow more time and discussion regarding the stadium situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruraljuror said:

https://www.socceramerica.com/article/74361/mls-expansion-our-summer-attendance-meter.html

Nashville ranked #3 in a comparison of soccer attendance over the summer among the MLS expansion candidates.

Wow, I didnt realize how abismal attendance is for the minor league franchises in both Carolina markets.  That has got to give MLS leadership major pause.

• Like 2

MLS Commissioner mentions Nashville among 4 cities gaining momentum.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/08/03/nashville-one-four-cities-energized-major-league-soccer-expansion-commissioner-says/536075001/

Reading up on the Detroit situation, it looks like the city could still decide to not grant the land for MLS and continue building the jail. There is still work to be done- the city just moved forward on negotiations and did not reject the MLS proposal.

In my opinion our best chance would be to get the stadium financing approved before December. Praying!!!

• Like 3