Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Shoulda filled that stadium up Nashville!  47,000 is respectable, but a sellout would have put you up there with Sacramento and Indy for crowd support for soccer. I am rooting for you or Charlotte so soccer can have more of a presence in the Southeast. 
Orlando City fan, and Atlanta has done it right. I hope we get another Southeast team in the next round!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, titanhog said:

If we had a downtown location ready to go, fully funded, I'd say we'd definitely get a team.  I just wonder what the commissioner thought about the fairgrounds location.  

Exactly.  I hope they DIDN'T take him to the fairgrounds.  Place is not nice to look at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

If we had a downtown location ready to go, fully funded, I'd say we'd definitely get a team.

We have a downtown location already built, it had over 47,000 soccer fans in it on Saturday. Garber sounds pretty high on Nashville. Is he really interested in the market, or just the potential to pick up subsidies for a new stadium? Titans management or not, at some point the demand has to flip from finding cities who are willing to shell out money to placing teams in markets that make sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

We definitely do... I'm just still not convinced it will be determined that we "deserve" one more than markets like Detroit, Tampa, Phoenix etc.

32 minutes ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Besides Detroit (assuming the county agrees to give Gilbert / Gores the jail site), Nashville appears to be the only other city that has a plan to pay for its stadium and a billionaire backer. The MLS has said this would be a deal breaker when selecting cities for expansion.

Between that and its geography (there aren't any other teams nearby), I actually think Nashville's odds are pretty good at landing franchises either in 2020 or 2022.

Excellent point!  I was thinking mainly in terms of market size, but you're right... the factors you mentioned are as important if not moreso!

10 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Excellent point!  I was thinking mainly in terms of market size, but you're right... the factors you mentioned are as important if not moreso!

MLS Commissioner Garber stated that Nashville's market size is growing and would not be viewed as a deterrent (paraphrasing).  Deep pocket ownership with control of the stadium matter most.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Yesterday's US-Martinique Gold Cup soccer game in Tampa drew a crowd of 23,368.

The US-Serbia game in San Diego drew 20,079, and the US-Venezuela game in Salt Lake City--already an MLS city--drew 17,315.

I say Nashville is looking mighty impressive by comparison.

That holds well for our bid, especially if we draw 50k plus just a few weeks later for another match! Please Nashville get everything worked out!!!

• Like 2