markhollin

21 hours ago, downtownresident said:

I avoid the underside of the Pedestrian bridge because it’s essentially a homeless camp. No way that will remain status quo once this building opens. 

Actually, I think there is a near 100% chance that nothing will change with the homeless situation because of this tower.  The residents will just deal with it and/or ignore it.  They will accept it as just another gritty aspect of downtown living.  Anyone who isn't willing to accept that type of grit will look for a mansion in Williamson county, preferably with their lot backing up to a golf course.

23 hours ago, downtownresident said:

I avoid the underside of the Pedestrian bridge because it’s essentially a homeless camp. No way that will remain status quo once this building opens. 

I agree with the line of thinking. The Four Seasons as well as the Centric will drive more and more folks down Second, past this spot,  and it will cease being quiet "oasis" it has been. Tourists will complain, single women will feel "threatened" and the city will get pushed to clean up the area.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I agree with the line of thinking. The Four Seasons as well as the Centric will drive more and more folks down Second, past this spot,  and it will cease being quiet "oasis" it has been. Tourists will complain, single women will feel "threatened" and the city will get pushed to clean up the area.

I just don't see how that can happen (as nice as it would be).  Surely complaints have already been lodged about the current situation.  Look at church street.  What, are there not enough scared residents or threatened pedestrians or concerned mothers in the vicinity of the church street park to precipitate the type of crackdown you imagine?  The sad truth is that the political will to do what you are describing does not exist currently, and will not materialize with the addition of two new towers.

Edited by Armacing

I get your points and you may be right. I just think as the downtown population grows the homeless encampments will be less tolerated. 1000s of Amazon employees, Alliance B. folks, the new courthouse staff will complain, where we’ve grown used to shrugging and moving on. 

We will never be rid of homeless individuals. It’s the encampments that I think will get pushed out or at least relocated. Just my opinion and I admit I may be wrong....

On 7/31/2019 at 6:00 PM, chris holman said:

Yeah it's bad guys the homeless are in numbers not just on Church st park but all the green spaces in the core, riverfront, accend, and in front of the Hilton and under the bridges even on gay street. More needs  to be done overall 

The police are instructed to let them be. I've seen insane conferentations with them and the cops regularly, and the cops have to just walk away. Ordinary citizens would be tazed and in cuffs under any other circumstance. Sad.

• Like 1

Advocates for the homeless (nothing wrong with that) pressure political officeholders to be kind to the street people.  This translates into policy and filters down to the police department.  Also, most cops would rather focus on real crime than spend hours mediating life under the bridge.  If the next mayor (whoever it is) wants to better police SoBro he will beef up the Central Precint with more walking patrols.  Without taking that step it will all be empty rhetoric.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Native said:

Advocates for the homeless (nothing wrong with that) pressure political officeholders to be kind to the street people.  This translates into policy and filters down to the police department.  Also, most cops would rather focus on real crime than spend hours mediating life under the bridge.  If the next mayor (whoever it is) wants to better police SoBro he will beef up the Central Precint with more walking patrols.  Without taking that step it will all be empty rhetoric.  

I think it's less about kindness (although we should all be kind to homeless people and I certainly hope that homeless advocates, and political officeholders apply whatever pressure they can to make sure police do the same) and more about practicality.  Arresting everyone that the police caught sleeping in public, or loitering, or violating any other similar law aimed at the homeless would be a lot more expensive than just providing housing and food for the homeless population in the first place.  

• Like 4

On 8/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, Bark At The Sun said:

4seasons5.jpg

Over the past few weeks, I've run by here on the pedestrian bridge many times.  The size of each pier is massive.  It will be interesting to see how they transition to smaller columns as the floors go up.  Can't imagine having a pier that size in the middle of my Four Seasons condo.

1 hour ago, Mr_Bond said:

Over the past few weeks, I've run by here on the pedestrian bridge many times.  The size of each pier is massive.  It will be interesting to see how they transition to smaller columns as the floors go up.  Can't imagine having a pier that size in the middle of my Four Seasons condo.

foundation piers are larger than the base building, so that makes sense from what you are seeing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Native said:

These things go down to bedrock, right?

I'm 100% positive they do. Bedrock is not very far down in most of Nashville. If you look at some of the pics of the sheeting & shoring for Asurion or the Amazon towers you can see that the bedrock is most likely no more than 20-30ft down. The bedrock (as well as flooding risk) is the main reason why almost any mass transit that involves tunneling in Nashville would be prohibitively expensive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, NashWellington11 said:

I'm 100% positive they do. Bedrock is not very far down in most of Nashville.

I think the rock is further down right next to the river than other areas of Nashville, but I bet they are still hitting bedrock.  I remember someone said on the Centric Hotel thread that the drill bits were breaking on rock, and that's practically right next door.

1 hour ago, Armacing said:

I think the rock is further down right next to the river than other areas of Nashville, but I bet they are still hitting bedrock.  I remember someone said on the Centric Hotel thread that the drill bits were breaking on rock, and that's practically right next door.

Welcome to karst terrain. You can have some ridiculous chunks of bedrock close to the surface and just feet away you have to go a long ways down.

• Like 3