Station District Towers (two 31 story residential, two 34 story residential/hotel, and 5 other future phases), Sept, 2019 start

markhollin

This area could be a prime spot for a development somewhat similar to Nashville Yards across the street. There are so many possibilities.

As others have mentioned, I'd like to see a developer take a huge risk in the next few years, and propose a supertall on a portion of that development, in the range of 950-1150 feet. 

This is a random thought I just had--is there space that could be created here somehow, to allow an MLB stadium to be built? Would be a FANTASTIC location! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

This is a random thought I just had--is there space that could be created here somehow, to allow an MLB stadium to be built? Would be a FANTASTIC location! 

Footprint is too narrow for something like an MLB stadium, unless Cummins Station was torn down, and that would not be desired nor advisable. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

As others have mentioned, I'd like to see a developer take a huge risk in the next few years, and propose a supertall on a portion of that development, in the range of 950-1150 feet. 

100% , one super tall with a few 600-750 ish towers connected to Cummins Station via a plaza and build that long overdue pedestrian bridge to the Gulch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

100% , one super tall with a few 600-750 ish towers connected to Cummins Station via a plaza and build that long overdue pedestrian bridge to the Gulch. 

You and I are definitely on the same 'love-me-some-height' cruise ship!  As I inject a dose of reality for myself, I'd be super happy if a 700' tower and two or three 300-500' towers materialized in that area.  Even that thought is a bit pie in the sky given the current climate.  Yet, it's so fun to dream!

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Footprint is too narrow for something like an MLB stadium, unless Cummins Station was torn down, and that would not be desired nor advisable. 

Yeah, I suppose this is absolutely true.  Pretty narrow lot overall.

For it to work, like you mentioned, the Cummins Station would either have to be torn down partially, or all of it, or a stadium could be cantilevered over the building. Sounds nuts and may look hideous, but if done correctly, it could be an idea. 

10 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

We need not be harsh, we’re all just throwing out some ideas. We all have dreams and ideas, most likely none of them which have be mentioned will actually happen. Just fun to discuss the possibilities, and think about the what if’s 

I have seen nothing terribly harsh here at all Luvemtall.  Comments  on this site are mostly useful analysis of potential useage and accesss and require discussion only to the extent required to determine whether projects may be viable or not.  i admit my halfa**ed comment was not elegant, but no more so than one I would have made professionally in a office discussion in an architectural firm concerning proposals for development.  From my view point, Urban Planet is relatively a serious discussion forum of architecture in our city and does not need more than occasional lighthearted  posts for our members rather than throwing out a plethera of ideas like this was a fantasy football site.  Other than serious posts do have the avenue of the Coffehouse available  to throw out "might have been" or "wouldn't it be cool" posts.    We are fortunate to have in our members a wealth of knowledge and experience in architecture, planning, information,  zoning and goverment among which we have many levels of experience.  We are certainally qualified as a group to recognize and to discuss,  however shortly, concepts which would not be in the best interest of Nashville's growth.   Certainly, the subject of the MLB expansion here has produced some rather far fetched , even all the way through preposterous, concepts.  We do have our joke threads, for instance, the Blue Parrot, but zeal  for wishful proposals  going beyond known practical constraints like "supertalls" against FAA advisbilty, massive theme parks which lack adequate land or funding , and projects of dubious financial likelyhood should need no more than reasonable discussion when there is so much else physically happening all over the city.  I am sure, if I wished to indulge in fantasy speculation, I could whip up a new stadium design,  say to flatten Fort Negley hill or bulldoze the Parthenon in favor of a new stadium because the site presents adequate land.  I apologize if any of my comments may have been taken as personal insult.  However, it is well known that even in our group, we have encountered in the past, members who wish to make other than constructive or useful posts and criticisms; that is rightfully the right of our administrators to monitor as needed.   My two cents.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 10:16 PM, Rick Dalton said:

MLB stadium on this lot potentially the worst idea I’ve ever heard

Hey, I get it, lol.

It was just a "thinking out loud" idea and I realize that property is too narrow for a stadium.  

I think a supertall, with several 300-600 foot adjoining towers, would be the best usage for this property.

The stadium could be put across the river on the metal scrapyard, in my opinion, but not sure where that owner stands on selling.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 10/26/2023 at 9:43 PM, Luvemtall said:

IMG_8921.thumb.png.f0ed05dfe1e162b79af009b25abb34ef.png

It was close, but just not close enough 

That tower was going to be 1,070 feet high, back in 2008/2009.

So why today is there such a hesitancy of any developer to exceed roughly 500-550 feet in downtown Nashville?

I realize tall buildings are expensive, but during Nashville's last few year building boom, so many developers have been reluctant to go above 550 feet, it seems. With the exception of course, of the under construction YMCA tower. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

That tower was going to be 1,070 feet high, back in 2008/2009.

So why today is there such a hesitancy of any developer to exceed roughly 500-550 feet in downtown Nashville?

From everything that's been discussed regarding the height of the building back in 2008 it sounds like the FAA would not have approved a building that tall and it hadn't actually been approved.  750 feet is the maximum allowed height and that's exactly how tall 1010 Church St. is going to be. 

• Like 1