The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

On 4/29/2023 at 1:20 PM, Luvemtall said:

It makes no sense but when most of your people in power come mostly from rural farming areas , roads and infrastructure are not a priority. 

I get the frustration, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  TDOT falls under the governor within the executive branch in Tennessee; the governor sets his budget priorities.  The last three governors, two terms each, have been from non-rural, non-farming areas (Bredesen and Lee from Nashville and Haslam from Knoxville).  Legislators do not create fiscal year budgets, they approve or don't approve budget proposals.  Legislators add admendments to the governor's proposed budget, and many times their district benefits from added admendments involving roads.  But, the governor's administration sets the tone for spending.  Also, decades of policy and practice have been handed down from TDOT Commissioner and Senior Staff to the next; I wouldn't know if they've ever presented indebtedness plans for spending on roads at the governor's budget hearings, but I would speculate perhaps not.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 2

A federal appeals court on Wednesday ruled against Nashville in a lawsuit over the city’s sidewalk construction requirements for new development, but it's still unclear exactly what practical implications the ruling will have.

The ordinance, last updated in 2019, requires that property owners on or near busy roads either build a sidewalk on their property for public use or pay a fee into a sidewalk construction fund to receive a building permit.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2023/05/11/nashville-sidewalk-ordinance-federal-appeals-court-rules-against-city/70207360007/

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Time to raise taxes to pay for sidewalks then. I'm sure the libertarian think tank will just love that. 

"Knight and Mayes, represented by Nashville libertarian think tank Beacon Center, appealed the ruling."

Solution, no more building permits on any street until you can connect the entire street with sidewalks. That should please all parties right, right? (sarcasm)

I can't even find either Knight or Mayes on the parcel viewer, I wonder where they did/were building.

• Thanks 1

Single family residential is typically more straight forward although remember it is not just the sidewalk. What you have to remember speaking in terms of commercial development is it not simply adding the sidewalk. They have stretched it to include the curb, gutter, sidewalk, stormwater infrastructure (including tie ins to the existing system) and right of way dedication. So they make you do a "sidewalk" but really it is more than that, the forced ROW dedication in itself is huge. This can be substantial along the major corridors and the government is getting that for free. Where we know from history the government is required to pay fair market value for land they take from eminent domain, they have not been doing this in Nashville. I am not aware of any other cities that have put the burden on the private sector to build infrastructure in the way Nashville has.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

One positive from this: no more zigzagging sidewalks or sidewalks to no where. There are several new homes along Riverside Dr with sidewalks that don’t connect on either side. It does not make any sense. 

I’m ok with those though, they give pedestrians a little refuge on streets that have nothing. 

I would hope it has the benefit of neighborhoods banding together to get them connected. But I might be thinking of a whole neighborhood of Urban Planet posters, haha. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I’m not understanding why it’s such a big deal for developers, anyone for that matter, to install sidewalks. I recently had 145 feet of 4 foot wide sidewalk installed for 6500.00 dollars. It’s not a big dealbreaker, just do it and move on stop whining about it.

I'd be curious to know the circumstances around that price. Much of the problem in Metro is that MWS or other departments are making the developers install closed-system drainage, curb and gutter, etc. to go with the sidewalks. $11/sf is a reasonable price for just the concrete paving but when you add in the incidentals it can easily be five or ten times that amount. That's why NDOT is paying such a high price to install sidewalks themselves (and putting the money in a general fund instead of leaving it to developers to build them isn't going to change that).

Points taken, but even at $55/sf a 100 foot section equates to 22,000 dollars. Yeah that’s high for smaller projects, but in the scope of a Multi Million Dollar project such as these going up say along Division it’s not that expensive in the overall cost. I mean I understand what some of you are trying to say, but I still strongly believe that that burden should fall onto the developers, not on the taxpayers from the city budgets 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sambo said:

Is it possible to just make a light rail line from the airport to the Music City Star Donelson station? It's only 1.9 miles from airport

That's an interesting idea that I haven't heard mentioned before and it seems like a good idea because it's so close.  I'd be interested in hearing some informed opinions about this idea.

16 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I think connecting the terminal to Donelson Station is our best move for connecting the airport to downtown. The issue with a Donelson station connection is we do not have enough frequency on the WeGo Star for it to work correctly. We could technically tie it into the bus system at Donelson Station, but then it is the same discussion as the Murfreesboro BRT line. Light Rail for this small length almost doesn't make sense. Rail is so expensive here in the country, there needs to be a larger project to get to the economies that make light rail make sense. One thing to keep in mind when referencing light rail is it's not just laying some track and procuring some trains. It is those two things, plus a layover/store yard, a maintenance facility it is investment in land for those items, etc. So for light rail to work we really need to get to a certain scale to see the economies in it.

At the encouragement of some of the CMs I forwarded the below post from last July to all the CMs in which the WeGo Star serves. It resulted in a conversation with Jeff Syracuse and Steve Bland where we chatted about the Star as a whole and where things stand with Positive Train Control (this is why WeGo cut the late trains on Friday and Titan game trains), TOD and overall system expansion. The plan below shows a tunnel that goes from Donelson Station to the Airport, but I have been told rail tunnels are running approximately $1 billion per mile (!!!). A solid modification to the idea below could convert the segment from the Airport to Donelson to shuttle busses (natural gas/electric/hydrogen powered) and then the train on 15 to 30 minute headways could pick folks up.

No matter what though, a connection to Donelson would involve a serious investment and upgrade for one of our existing systems or the other.

Agree with your assessment and the fact is that they would have to do major upgrades to the Donelson line (Positive Train Control) to allow it to run more than a few times a day. That would still be cheaper than a whole new line down Murfreesboro Rd. The problem with Metro leadership is they do not think outside the box that is placed squarely atop their heads as there are no holes for them to see outside the box. All the see is black.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Bollard installation on both sides of Broadway between 4th and 5th Avenues nearly complete:

Broadway Bollards, May 14, 2023, 1.jpeg

Broadway Bollards, May 14, 2023, 2.jpeg

IMO I think they should’ve used some of the millions they get from tourists taxes ( hotel, MCC, etc) to apply some nicer lighting and street scape to lower Broadway. Like what’s about to take place on 2nd Avenue, and definitely redo the sidewalks so as they no longer are tripping hazards. If it’s going to be the tourist magnet and center of all so many events , it should at least be presented in a fashionable manner.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I think connecting the terminal to Donelson Station is our best move for connecting the airport to downtown. The issue with a Donelson station connection is we do not have enough frequency on the WeGo Star for it to work correctly. We could technically tie it into the bus system at Donelson Station, but then it is the same discussion as the Murfreesboro BRT line. Light Rail for this small length almost doesn't make sense. Rail is so expensive here in the country, there needs to be a larger project to get to the economies that make light rail make sense. One thing to keep in mind when referencing light rail is it's not just laying some track and procuring some trains. It is those two things, plus a layover/store yard, a maintenance facility it is investment in land for those items, etc. So for light rail to work we really need to get to a certain scale to see the economies in it.

At the encouragement of some of the CMs I forwarded the below post from last July to all the CMs in which the WeGo Star serves. It resulted in a conversation with Jeff Syracuse and Steve Bland where we chatted about the Star as a whole and where things stand with Positive Train Control (this is why WeGo cut the late trains on Friday and Titan game trains), TOD and overall system expansion. The plan below shows a tunnel that goes from Donelson Station to the Airport, but I have been told rail tunnels are running approximately $1 billion per mile (!!!). A solid modification to the idea below could convert the segment from the Airport to Donelson to shuttle busses (natural gas/electric/hydrogen powered) and then the train on 15 to 30 minute headways could pick folks up.

No matter what though, a connection to Donelson would involve a serious investment and upgrade for one of our existing systems or the other.

Why not a train at grade on Donelson Pk if we are dreaming? I feel like Donelson Pk doesn't get the traffic now to warrant as many lanes as it has.