The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

On 6/16/2023 at 8:09 AM, Nathan_in_DC said:

Fascinating article on the impacts of the temporary closure of I-95 in Philadelphia due to the overpass collapse.  Turns out, shutting down a major interstate highway within a city doesn't have the impact on traffic many were predicting, mainly due to the reversal of the effects of induced demand. 

So Much for ‘Carmageddon’ (Philadelphia Edition) — Streetsblog USA

From the beginning, I had "what-if" reservations about the impact of that I-95 collapse.

I always supposed that relatively little of New York/NJ traffic to Philly takes that I-95 segment, unless they're headed somewhere close to I-95-proper in Pa.   I'd wager that the majority of regionals on the NJ side of the Delaware River and who commute *to* Philly generally take the NJ Turnpike or I-295 or Burlington Pike (US-130) and navigate to Philly via the Betsy Ross Bridge, although many also take the Palmyra Bridge.   So, most non-regional through traffic will bypass that segment of 95 and Philly altogether, with northbound traffic exiting I-95 proper at Wilmington and then taking I-295 over the twin spans (DE Memorial) to the interchange to join the NJ Tpk.

Of course, the local movements on the affected segment of the -95 corridor north of Betsy Ross would be affected the most.  Most drivers from the Trenton area tend to take Rt. (US) 1 at Morrisville or take the more northerly I-295 across the Delaware River, although some do take I-95 across the river.  Closure of I-95 likely added to traffic on other arterials and slowed down traffic to some extent, but the redundancy of the roadway infrastructure likely helped diffuse much of the projected impact of the closure.  With all this said, had the closure occurred south of the 95/295 split south of Wilmington, then the repercussions might have been more collateral and disruptive.

So as usual, nearly all the national media coverage had spun the incident into a melodrama of north-south gridlock.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, rookzie said:

From the beginning, I had "what-if" reservations about the impact of that I-95 collapse.

I always supposed that relatively little of New York/NJ traffic to Philly takes that I-95 segment, unless they're headed somewhere close to I-95-proper in Pa.   I'd wager that the majority of regionals on the NJ side of the Delaware River and who commute *to* Philly generally take the NJ Turnpike or I-295 or Burlington Pike (US-130) and navigate to Philly via the Betsy Ross Bridge, although many also take the Palmyra Bridge.   So, most non-regional through traffic will bypass that segment of 95 and Philly altogether, with northbound traffic exiting I-95 proper at Wilmington and then taking I-295 over the twin spans (DE Memorial) to the interchange to join the NJ Tpk.

Of course, the local movements on the affected segment of the -95 corridor north of Betsy Ross would be affected the most.  Most drivers from the Trenton area tend to take Rt. (US) 1 at Morrisville or take the more northerly I-295 across the Delaware River, although some do take I-95 across the river.  Closure of I-95 likely added to traffic on other arterials and slowed down traffic to some extent, but the redundancy of the roadway infrastructure likely helped diffuse much of the projected impact of the closure.  With all this said, had the closure occurred south of the 95/295 split south of Wilmington, then the repercussions might have been more collateral and disruptive.

So as usual, nearly all the national media coverage had spun the incident into a melodrama of north-south gridlock.

Since they finally got around to connecting 95 to the PA Turnpike a few years ago, there has definitely been an increase in traffic along 95 north of Philly. But people forgot that for most of its history 95 was gapped near Trenton and through traffic used the NJ Turnpike, connecting back in either Chester or Wilmington. I don't have numbers, but I suspect you're right in that much of the through traffic still uses that route to avoid local traffic in Philadelphia.  Frankly, I-95 in NE Philly is an anachronism of the 1950s 'tear-it-all-down' mentality that still has negative impacts on a part of the city that has it bad enough already...not to mention completely wrecked what could be an awesome waterfront.  I wouldn't be sad if they tore it all out from the Walt Whitman Bridge to the PA Turnpike, especially if they got around to building the Roosevelt Blvd. Subway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On the closure of I-95 in Philidelphia... it almost happend here.  40 years ago I was sitting in my office in Brentwood and looked out the window at the ongoing widening of the street under I-65 at Church Street East.  They had just completed removing the the sloped banks under the bridge and suddenly I realized that the concrete footings of the interstate were ONLY supported by a 12 foot tall vertical wall of exposed fill left after excavation.  NO pilings whatsoever!  They were just poured on compacted fill in the original construction.  The entire interstate was in danger of collapse at any moment.  I called TDOT  and within a couple of hours there was a line of trucks dumping gravel putting the slopes back.  Close call.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Confused 2

Sorry, I know this is random and not any kind of breaking news on transit, but it's been bothering me for years. On I-40, midway between exit 201 and 204, there is a raised clearing on both sides of the highway, shaped like exit ramps for a standard diamond interchange, except they aren't paved and don't connect to anything. These clearings seem to be maintained since the grass looks mowed and kept free of trees and brush. Was this from a planned exit that was never finished? Maintenance-related? I thought something like a truck escape ramp initially, but there's no major hill nearby and there's a barrier preventing access, plus they are symmetric and you could go up and down both sides. If anyone knows what these are, I will be eternally grateful. I think the last time something silly like this bothered me this much, it was when I realized there was a ghost station on the Boston Red Line between Central and Harvard Square; thankfully, the history of that temporary station is easily Googled.

image.thumb.png.63ebc086e483afed76e49ae47bbe6d1d.png

From above:

image.thumb.png.691b964f10d938fcaa07bff93cf138dd.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AsianintheNations said:

Sorry, I know this is random and not any kind of breaking news on transit, but it's been bothering me for years. On I-40, midway between exit 201 and 204, there is a raised clearing on both sides of the highway, shaped like exit ramps for a standard diamond interchange, except they aren't paved and don't connect to anything. These clearings seem to be maintained since the grass looks mowed and kept free of trees and brush. Was this from a planned exit that was never finished? Maintenance-related? I thought something like a truck escape ramp initially, but there's no major hill nearby and there's a barrier preventing access, plus they are symmetric and you could go up and down both sides. If anyone knows what these are, I will be eternally grateful.

Pretty sure it is just a combination of the local terrain and TDOT's efforts to keep their ROW clear of brush.

When I-40 was originally constructed they cut into the hill on both sides (the slopes being similar to that of ramps being a coincidence), and since then maintenance forces have cut the brush back to near the ROW line.

As far as an exit goes, it would be too close to the adjacent exits (Exit 201 / Charlotte Pike in particular) and there isn't a large roadway nearby that would warrant access.

• Like 1