The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Yeah I can't imagine any large-scale eminent domain happening for highways (or anything else) today. It would be a huge fight.

Just now, MLBrumby said:

Does anyone know if the very expensive SMART project on I-24 to M'boro has made any difference?  I have been skeptical of it since I first heard about it. So wondering how it's working.

I'm also curious. I'm not a regular 24 commuter but I've never seen anything displayed on the new signs and was never clear on what they were supposed to do  anyway.

37 minutes ago, GregH said:

Yeah I can't imagine any large-scale eminent domain happening for highways (or anything else) today. It would be a huge fight.

I'm also curious. I'm not a regular 24 commuter but I've never seen anything displayed on the new signs and was never clear on what they were supposed to do  anyway.

The I-24 Smart Corridor project will be fully operational in the Spring of 2023.

There will be significant benefits relative to the costs. The costs of adding lanes to I-24 would have been many times more expensive, but with similar benefits.

OK, I'm out'a here. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Just updating this stretch of Briley Parkway (and some exit upgrades on the north side) would create an excellent bypass for lots of through traffic headed from I-24 to points north and northwest via I-65 and I-24. Much easier than trying to extend 440.

F76C830F-FDB5-4A3A-A268-90DA7E362A4C.jpeg

Not sure this is necessary. We already have an interstate within a mile of this stretch of road. Similar to the sentiments MidTenn1 mentioned above, why would we want to have two quite complex interstate interchanges within this close proximity to one another. 

• Like 1

109 isn’t going to be a route that truckers will take, or people on a time crunch. To many traffic lights and slow intercity speed zones. Just in the section from I-840 though Lebanon to the bridge into Gallatin they have already installed 3-4 new traffic signals and I know of at lest 3 more coming 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

In the last fifteen years I have traveled to and from Houston, often driving U.S. 59 from Texarkana to Houston. That is a heavily traveled route down through East Texas and is being developed to evolve into Interstate 69. It goes through lots of small town right now, with travelers subject to slower speed limits and traffic lights. It also has many wide and long stretches that have 75 mph limits. Lots of truck traffic! I much prefer this route to Houston over going through Birmingham, then over through Mississippi to hit I-10 and across into Texas. And going through Birmingham all of the roads are interstate highways.

Edited by donNdonelson2
Spelling
  • Like 2

As discussed occasionally, perhaps TNDOT should consider a toll roads authority. People in Orange County never imagined that they’d use a toll road, but in the late 90’s they built 4 and they’ve made life much more bearable for commuters from South OC to the Irvine/Newport Beach business centers and for going over the Santa Ana Mountains to the Inland Empire and the 91 Freeway which also has toll lanes out to Riverside.

https://www.thetollroads.com

Edited by chc3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chc3 said:

As discussed occasionally, perhaps TNDOT should consider a toll roads authority. People in Orange County never imagined that they’d use a toll road, but in the late 90’s they built 4 and they’ve made life much more bearable for commuters from South OC to the Irvine/Newport Beach business centers and for going over the Santa Ana Mountains to the Inland Empire and the 91 Freeway which also has toll lanes out to Riverside.

https://www.thetollroads.com

Interesting, as I've wondered how the risk-return on a completely new road would work.  I know new toll roads have been built, such as GA400 through Buckhead back in the early 1990s and the GHWB tollway in DFW, but those roadways had been laid out for decades before that and were state funded through (new in GA at the time) a tollway authority.

I wonder how TN setting up a tollway authority would complement or compete with a private road company. And does the new law specify ONLY lanes allowed to be built? I can see where a state authority would be necessary for any new routes laid out. I have thought a "tri county" tollway between Smyrna through Antioch to Brentwood would help that fast growing area. I've been on Bell Road/OHB at various times of day and it's always clogged.  Plus, it's very tough to get from I-24 over to Cool Springs at peak traffic times during a weekday.  There is a possible route that could follow roughly Sam Ridley to Burkitt Road to Liberty Pike, but it's likely not going to be available much longer with all the development going on there. I doubt the people in that area would tolerate a full-on expressway, but a parkway with "choice flyovers" at the worst intersections could help E-W traffic. I am aware that TDOT has a plan to widen TN96 from Franklin to M'boro, but that seems too far south to help the really nasty traffic around Smyrna and Antioch. 

Man, I know your opinions about more lanes and car centric infrastructure. But that’s the way society as a whole sees things. I really like some of your ideas and those of others on this forum, but and I say this reluctantly, your not going to change the world and the way it’s viewed. So with a ever increasing population and growth that is rapidly moving, it’s time to make changes to meet the demands of said traffic woes. I would much rather see other forms of transit, but we all know that’s NOT going to happen anytime soon. If toll express lanes can be built, to help ease the congestion, and it can be done with minimal new R.O.W then bring it on. 

• Like 1

Yes I saw the humor in it, and yes I’ve spent a long  time traveling all over this country. I’ve said it before, I value your insight and opinions and that of everyone here . I’m a old goat, seen a bunch of life and I really don’t feel that the general population will give up their “ freedom “ of the automobile, no matter how financially hard it gets. I’ve been around to pay 50 cents for a gallon of premium gas, buy a brand new pickup for 1750.00 dollars and now I see 4.00 gallon gas and 90,000.00 pickups , but people are still buying them. It’s great to have a vision of a different world, with less cars , less smog , less cost, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Yes I saw the humor in it, and yes I’ve spent a long  time traveling all over this country. I’ve said it before, I value your insight and opinions and that of everyone here . I’m a old goat, seen a bunch of life and I really don’t feel that the general population will give up their “ freedom “ of the automobile, no matter how financially hard it gets. I’ve been around to pay 50 cents for a gallon of premium gas, buy a brand new pickup for 1750.00 dollars and now I see 4.00 gallon gas and 90,000.00 pickups , but people are still buying them. It’s great to have a vision of a different world, with less cars , less smog , less cost, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen. 

But see, that's the part that confuses me.  How does one see an expansion of transportation options as a reduction in freedom?  It makes no sense to me.  I mean I get the general notion that car ownership equals more freedom.  People like being able to explore and go where they want, when they want.  But what does that have to do with one's commute to work?  Everyone has a single destination when they're going to work.  It's not as if anyone is driving to work and then suddenly deciding to veer off course to go journey into the Mojave Desert in their Jeep.  But even if one wanted the option to do that on their commute, what does the addition of a train line, or whatever, have to do with anything?  Nobody is trying to force anyone to go without their car.  You don't want to take the train, don't take the train.  But from where I sit, anybody that claims to be a proponent of freedom of movement, shouldn't be a supporter of a system that more or less requires that everyone, regardless of age, or income, or physical ability, own and operate an automobile if they want to be a participant in society. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Yea I think it was Austin too.  heard it was going to be something like 17 lanes of pure hell through the core of Austin. We think out legislature is off the rails!

actually it is making it better.  removing the top deck lanes and sinking the whole highway adding toll express lanes and putting more caps and stitches over the new highway.   Some freeway caps and some expanded sidewalks and pedestrian bridges.  Austin has fought this for years but it has gotten so bad now even they are on board now. 

http://www.my35.org/capital-project-capital-express-central.htm

https://my35capex.com/projects/i-35-capital-express-central/

Like downtown Nashville it has lots of truck traffic coming from San Antonio and Mexico in the south to Dallas Fort Worth and beyond to the north.  

speaking of transportation locally I noticed I-65 seems to be better north of the city (well at least until it goes back to just 4 lanes) I did notice some widening up to the Kentucky state line where I-65 is 6 lanes all the way north.  I sure hope they are plans for where the current widening stops to connect to the wider path closer to the city.  The cut through the rock layers is wide enough to add another lane.   The splits still slow all the traffic down with all the lane switching.  

20230422_092206.jpg

20230422_092812.jpg

20230422_092814.jpg

• Like 4