The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

On 7/12/2023 at 6:29 PM, tragenvol said:

Right.  May as well be DOA.  Tennessee missed the deadline to apply for the "once in a lifetime" funding from the recent infrastructure bill awaiting a "report" from TACIR...did we not?  "Nah, bruh...we're good....give me some of that grant funding from the $5.8 million pot rather than that $1.8 billion one."  We have a plan to start planning.  Please someone correct me; why is this story getting so much positive traction?  I'd love to be wrong on this one. 

The deadline was not missed because of the timing of the report.  And, fwiw, the feds say there will be another wave of route ID applications. And it's not entirely clear that the routes that the group of cities submitted missed the deadline or not. Amtrak testimony to congress suggests that they consider that application to have met the deadline.

• Like 3

As we all know, “premium mass transit” cannot be done without dedicated lanes! That can't be done without a change to the state law because of Deans stupid attempt with the failed AMP project and the push back by Beaman and is cronies. I do say Deans stupid attempt because he popped that out like Rosemarys Baby without warning! So, I am still at a loss as to how a system will be built along Murfreesboro Road that will not be stuck in traffic like everything else. Maybe the newly appointed state board at BNA will be a blessing in disguise when they ask for it and are told no for the same reasons and they resign in protest to the stupid state law and embarrass the governor and the legislature on a national level....again. Seems as if those jokers should get used to being embarrassed by now after all of the crap they do, with the entire world laughing at them.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

The deadline was not missed because of the timing of the report.  And, fwiw, the feds say there will be another wave of route ID applications. And it's not entirely clear that the routes that the group of cities submitted missed the deadline or not. Amtrak testimony to congress suggests that they consider that application to have met the deadline.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

While we are all salivating at the possibility of regional rail. Unfortunately some folks in Washington don’t want it (ie big oil/auto industry)

IMG_7599.thumb.jpeg.4cfc299132ad78c9abdd36903299406d.jpeg

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2023/07/17/gop-seeks-massive-cuts-to-amtrak?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-streetsblog&utm_content=later-36550589&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 9

The proposed House budget shows a 34% reduction for the southeast and a 92% for the northeast corridor. An overall appropriation from $2.4 billion to $875 million. As the post says, lots of time left and plenty of changes I’m sure are coming, but if this were to pass I think we could kiss any regional trains with Amtrak goodbye.

IMG_7600.thumb.png.5a94c0e07a944cd623f85b8152fddf76.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 7:28 AM, Nashville Cliff said:

Mostly accurate synopsis. The one application submitted in Tennessee was by Chattanooga, endorsed by the state and by the cities of Memphis, Nashville, and Atlanta; it was for a route from Memphis to Nashville and then on to Chattanooga and Atlanta. So, the tier 1 route we identified in our study and one of the tier 2 routes.

Thanks, Cliff for the clarification.  If there's any one someone who would be well informed of such granular details, then it would just HAVE to be you.

I ain't trying to be patronizing and whatnot ─  that is, unless I was about to be pushed over a "Cliff", but I have to say you're one of the primary Liaison Kingpins who make this forum such an authoritative resource "reference" (my former academic librarianship oozing out).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rookzie said:

Thanks, Cliff for the clarification.  If there's any one someone who would be well informed of such granular details, then it would just HAVE to be you.

I ain't trying to be patronizing and whatnot ─  that is, unless I was about to be pushed over a "Cliff", but I have to say you're one of the primary Liaison Kingpins who make this forum such an authoritative resource "reference" (my former academic librarianship oozing out).

That's kind of you to say. Thank you.

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Yep, up to 125 is HS Rail and over 150 mph is Very HS Rail. The bullet train in Japan goes as high as 200 mph.

Back in 2010 I had the opportunity to ride the Maglev Train in Shanghai which can reach top speeds of 268 mph and connects central Shanghai to the main airport about twenty miles away.  The entire trip took less than seven minutes.   Beyond the sheer speed of it (though I'm not sure how long we were at top speed, if ever) and the bizarre sight of seeing the cars going the same direction on the expressway built right next to it just get passed by in a blur, what I was really struck most by was just how incredibly smooth the ride was.  I mean even at HIGH speeds you could just walk around normally without holding onto anything.  I mean on it's face it's just another form of transportation, but it was really an incredible experience unto itself and it oddly turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip.  I highly doubt we'll ever see it in the states though because of the high cost relative to standard rail.  Sure would be nice though. 

Supposedly in 2021 China began development on a new 620 mile long Maglev line between Shanghai and Beijing that can reach speeds of up to 372 mph (!!!) And make the journey in only 2.5 hours.  That'd basically be like travelling from Nashville to Washington DC in the same time frame.  I mean that is what you call a REAL practical long distance alternative to air travel!  

• Like 4