The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

19 hours ago, MidTenn1 said:

A couple of comments;

I tried to get the ramp widened many years before they actually did this project as I was putting up a traffic light at the end of the ramp, but was told no. Engineer managers don't (understandably) like 'myzwells' meaning if we're doing this, we 'myzwell' do that, also. Don't expand the project beyond what was originally scoped out.

And my job was extremely political as I had to meet with the local politicians, Mayors, State Reps, City Managers, other officials to work out how my projects were going to be built per City specs. I was at a gathering of friends outside of my work one night and one I knew was a lobbyist for the Republican caucus in the legislature. I mentioned that the average IQ of the politicians I had to deal with was about 80 and she replied emphatically, "YES, I know!!". They are not the smartest people in the room.

I knew you were preaching to the morons Pete! TDOT is sort of caught up in the Twilight Zone of having to deal with the budget constraints of what is given to them and also the political appointments of whomever is in charge at any given time. Political appointments of departments of the state should be outright banned in this state. Oh, my buddy can run that department is always a mistake when they have a hard enough time figuring out how to flush a toilet or open a door. For that matter isn't that the way most of the politicians in most of the states and federal government operate? Here is a door or a toilet so figure out which one is which? Fifty percent may fail the test!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The exit ramp redo more or less just formalized what people were already doing in an improvised way (splitting into two files), so I'm not surprised it didn't change traffic conditions at all. I thought that was mainly just for safety purposes, to actually create the space to accommodate two lanes and prevent people from crossing over onto Cabot Dr. To improve flow, they could have added a second left-turn lane, but there isn't really space for that without shifting the on-ramp, and now there is a concrete barrier that makes doing so harder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1