The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This study says TN should remove one of your major freeways downtown.  (the 2 on the NC list are likely to NEVER be removed nor should they as that is the view from NC DOT)

But I thought I share this even though I don't agree with it.   

https://southernurbanism.org/blog/southern-freeway-removal-phil-veasley

This all being said I will say it again there needs to be bypass from north of Nashville around the east side to connect with existing I-840 to get that through truck traffic out of the center city.   (and don't tell me it can't be done because of rock etc)  Make it toll to pay it off.  

I disagree. IMO one of the things that the 240 loop I think was key to Nashville's boom is the fact that it DEFINED and CONTAINED a finite area for expansion for decades.  Same with 440 which effectively limits the linear growth of West End and Charlotte,  Nashville never needed satilite city developments like in Atlantas.   I feel that a more effective solution is to extend 840 to I24 around Joelton distance.  Improving Briley Parkway to major interstate width.  A diversion off I65 weoul have to be much further North, say Portland and Gallatin distance.. I don' think a looping of 840 completely around the north side would ever work.  Disruption of the lakeside communities spread out would ne loudly protested.  The problem  really is the presence of two very large lakes.  As for making them toll, the only toll would be the bell of the death of use on them.  Tennesseans will not pay tols like our Yankee friends.  One of the really OLD ideas from the 50s and far cheaper would be to build a semi only road with a narrow right of way and only one or two exits into business arterials for trucks to serve nashville destinations.  We do not need to create morebusy car  interchanges where a bunch of fast food and motels spring up .  This principle worked fairly well  for the Turner McDonald Parkway in Atlanta getting commuters from northern counties downtown faster.  OUR problem is not so much commuters (especially with WFH these days)  but through city trucking.  A dedicated truck highway need not ne as expensive to build as a 10 lane expessway.  It doesen't work well even in California, certainly not here.

• Like 2

Here is what I can see happening in Nashville metro area.  If traffic continues to get worse going into central Nashville (Downtown Midtown etc) more businesses and new office users will continue to be attracted to the suburbs most notably Williamson County but other surrounding counties.  (as it will be easier to reverse commute)  Of course this could be changed with a meaningful transit corridors.    Something has to be done with the fact that all your interstates with their heavy truck traffic converge on downtown.  Okay upgrade Briley Parkway to an interstate with nice safe ramps onto 40 west not those cloverleaf out of date ramps.   I still believe the best solution is completing I-840 at least from east of Nashville at I-40 to I-65 north then it would connect to I-24 southeast and I-65 south.    And yes tolls will work.  People said the same thing about NC no one will pay a toll.  Well time is money for truckers, people getting to appointments and jobs so yes they will pay a toll.  People will always be against new freeways tollways etc.  Always.  But that does not mean they should not be built.  How good is it for your air quality to have multiple hours every day of trucks idling and inching along in your downtown area along with 1000s upon 1000s of cars?   That is not healthy for your air quality.  Nashville is smack down in the middle of major truck routes from the upper midwest Chicago to points south to Atlanta and Florida.  Sometime has to give or people and companies will look at your transportation system and look elsewhere.  Traffic congestion does affect people's quality of lives and yes all cities and urban areas have congestion but most have alternatives. 

I personally hate toll roads but the fact of the matter I will use them to save time here in NC, in Atlanta area and in Florida especially in the big cities.  FL and Texas have no income tax but extensive toll roads in all their urban areas.  

From Charlotte and 77 express lanes that are tolled:  https://www.wfae.org/charlotte-area/2023-04-09/interstate-77-toll-revenue-jumped-nearly-70-in-last-year

I will be in Nashville in about a week and a half and I will see if the traffic has gotten better since my last visit last Fall.  I am not hopeful.  

and yes @MLBrumby I would rank TN and SC the worst in the southeast in terms of highways and upkeep.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I agree that conversation and actions need to happen. Don’t agree fully that the inner loop goes away, and in your plan above where does I-40 reroute to? The inner loop would be a completely different animal , if as our friend KJHBurg mentioned a interstate connection from the East ( Lebanon) up across the North with connections to  major arteries and both I-65 and I-24 back to I-40 on the west ( Dickson) a northern completion of I-840 if you want to call it that. Traffic though Downtown on the inner loop is horrible, due to the large volume of unnecessary commercial truck traffic and folks just passing through. Yes I-840’s southern route is a good alternative for south and East/West travel, but does nothing for those going to the north. And if trucks are ever forced to use I-840 as Georgia does with I-285 around Atlanta, then just the southern route will not be enough to handle the volume or address those needing to head north. If the issue with just the pass though traffic is addressed, the difference for local traffic on the inner loop will surprise you all. The loop being in Downtown isn’t the problem, but I’m surely aware that in the current political climate those in the State House care nothing bout Nashville’s traffic woes. Every major city has interstates running though them, it’s basically the reason they became major cities. It’s the ones with the will to do something to help eliminate the vehicles that don’t really need to be passing through the inner city , that people will remember as a good place to move around in. 

In reality I don't think the I-40 Inner Loop will ever go away. I think a cap of the interstate is a much more realistic solution that would tie the city together.  As for re-routing traffic outside of the core, I would say We already have a northern loop in Briley Parkway. from I-40 up to I-65 it is very wide and could handle capacity, I think it is more the interchanges that would need improvement. Below is my idea for interstates around Nashville that I posted back in February of 2021. It would utilize Briley and I-440 as the bypasses and maintain I-24/I-65 through downtown. Whether I-40 is eliminated, or as I mentioned more realistically covered, is up to the growth of the city.   

On 2/3/2021 at 1:55 PM, Bos2Nash said:

I saw CityLab's post on instagram about this and considered posting about it. My mind also thought about which portion of highway could downtown remove effectively while maintaining certain vital connections. From an idealistic standpoint it would be great if we could remove the innerloop altogether and have 440 be the closest highway to the downtown core. That is unrealistic though. 

Here is my proposal based on the goal of dismantling our urban highways:

RED = Re-align and improve the 24/65 corridor that divides East Nashville from the East Bank. This was my first thought for a teardown, but if this stretch of freeway was to be removed, there isn't a ton of connections that can be re-created. Plus with developments such as River North, the redevelopment of the Truck Stop, Nissan Stadium Redevelopment and the future for PSC Metals, those will all be big money developments that will turn their back on the low income folks anyways.

Magenta = 440 and 40 become the same road and circulate around downtown to provie East/West connection. This would require a massive re-configuration of the 24/440/40 interchange along with Murfreesboro Road, but moving the East/West traffic out of downtown would be great.

BLUE = Removal of Interstate 65 extension. This provide the best chance to reconnect a decimated part of the city. North Nashville needs to have the street grid re-connected and those historic neighborhoods need to be woven back into the every day life of the city. The preferred route for drivers coming from the west and heading north would be to take Briley Parkway (see blue in second image).

GREEN = Removal of Interstate 65 from 440 to the Inner Loop. Redirect traffic east on 440/40 to connect to points north or east on 440/40 for points west. This will sow WeHo back together with the likes of Melrose and Edgehill.

CYAN = Removal of the inner loop entirely! There has been talk about the capping of this section, but that is unrealistic because the amount of ventilation and infrastructure that be needed (think Big Dig)

image.thumb.png.5648803330a022b287e8ce5da6bc970d.png

Obviously this would be a massive overhaul of our interstate system and would take someone an unfathomable amount of political power, but the benefits for our city - I think - would be tenfold. Sewing neighborhoods back together, expanding the plauisble footprint of our core and also remove alot of vehicle traffic out of the core. Not to mention the amount of land that could become available for actual taxable land that I'm sure the state would be able to solicit some big money for!

Here would would be an idea of what the core could look like with the inner loops whited out. Unrealistic in the grand scheme, but really not so far-fetched that it seems impossible.

image.thumb.png.1597c285cd40c7063345485228584c63.png

• Like 3

Connect downtown is a new initiative that seeks to improve mobility in the downtown core.  It is in its 3rd and final community engagement phase: 

• Like 3

I really do not know why Metro bothers with these meetings as they will end up doing absolutely nothing in the long run. We have an outgoing mayor and not a clue as to who will be the incoming mayor and with no vision from a mayor that really gives a crap other than a bus system that does not work efficiently and can't get people to ride even if it is free, these meetings are a joke.

How many times have they had these types of meetings????

Until we have a mayor that is going to do something, then let's just save out energy and wait till we have someone with the vision because until we have a new mayor nothing is going to happen, and the next mayor is going to start the entire process over again.

Downtown is a mess and the only things you can really do is to eliminate on street parking, eliminate bike lanes on just a few streets, and a few other things, like sync the red lights for better traffic flow, enhanced pedestrian crosswalks in other areas, etc. They do not need input from the public to figure this out because the alternatives are limited as far as what they can do. The majority of pedestrians that are walking downtown are tourist and not locals!

• Like 3