The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I just don’t get the lack of a Louisville link in their plans. Makes me wonder if there’s not some grandfathered prohibition by the old L&N (now CSX), as that’s a well traveled freight route. 

Agreed---especially because that would create the final link between Chicago and Atlanta (and on down to FLA).  Seems like a no-brainer. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I just don’t get the lack of a Louisville link in their plans. Makes me wonder if there’s not some grandfathered prohibition by the old L&N (now CSX), as that’s a well traveled freight route. 

Same here.  It's a really bizarre omission to me, not even because of Nashville necessarily, but because it would be the direct link between The Great Lakes cities and Atlanta/Florida that has been sorely lacking this whole time.  

EDIT: Just seeing Mark made the same point above.   Let me rephrase that then.... ^What he said!  😛

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

There's no ban or prohibition on it. But it's not a priority for Amtrak's shorter routes (which include Nashville-to-Atlanta and Nashville-to-Memphis).

Amtrak's long-distance studies are looking at those bigger routes that will require Nashville-to-Louisville connections.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/fra-releases-long-distance-study-interim-report-invites-comments/

• Like 2

The youtuber CityNerd did a video about rail suitability for city pairs a few months ago. His methodology was a little bare, he only used the populations of the metro areas at each end and then divided by the travel time between them. So any extra factors like economic or cultural connections between cities wouldn't show up. Anyway, here's the map he made of the 56 highest weighted city pairs for rail connections in North America.

image.thumb.png.59051bbcbbcfac185516212d1bd77bfe.png

Here's an example of the calculation he did for each city pair:

image.thumb.png.05ff8c8b3466a5eea397ce4d59879b0c.png

Long story short, I think Nashville has a ton of great rail pairing opportunities with nearby cities (Atlanta, Chattanooga, Memphis, Louisville, Knoxville, Huntsville, etc.) but there's just so many great potential routes elsewhere in the country for Amtrak/Brightline/whoever to focus on right now.

• Like 4

If you haven't seen it, good recap of a recent vist to Nashville was left on the Bits and Pieces string by Nashmoney.  The recap mentions how coworkers making their first visit to town were very pleased overall, yet commented on the lack of mass transit.

I keep reading debates about BRT lines and dedicated lanes.  How are either of those realistically EVER going to work in Nashville????  To me, both those options are like shuffling chairs on the Titanic.  I don't care which chair you pick, you're going down.    I was there in March and the traffic was horrible period.  Rush hour or not, just horrible.  I distinctly remember driving ftom downtown to get to I-24 south and thinking, these lanes and interchanges look exactly the same from when I left Nashville THIRTY YEARS AGO.   That is just incredible to me.  And the state of disrepair with potholes and gravel and litter about was sad.  How can we ever be ready for our closeup with Mr. DeMille like this???

Nashville needs REAL mass transit...yesterday.

• Like 3

This is an opinion article in the Tennessean and not being a Davidson County resident it is not my place to respond to this fool, but maybe one of you good people should. This guy is so off base and ill-informed it is laughable. I wonder if he has even read the plan.  He talks about the busses in Bellevue being empty. Well, if the good folks in Bellevue had higher ridership they would be included in a plan. It also does not help that the TN editorializes his piece further with their cheesy sub headlines. This guy needs to realize that the majority of the traffic coming onto Nashville on the interstate s is from out of County. That is up to the State to fix and not Metro.

Electric busses are a huge investment and would add a lot of cost to the plan. A fleet of Electric busses to replace the current fleet would at least 200 million not to mention the infrastructure involved.

This is just for starters. I am sure you guys could go in and shred him a new one.

He also thinks that the downtown resident are the only ones that will benefit from the transit plan. What planet does this guy live on. I am going to copy and paste the entire letter as it should not be a copyright issue as it is a letter to the editor.

Nashville transit: $3.1 billion plan needs tweaks before I vote for it (tennessean.com)

Steve Jones
Letter to the editor

Mayor Freddie O'Connell is attempting to fix a problem that has plagued Nashville for years: traffic and congestion.

Adding sidewalks and using technology for upgrading traffic lights is a step in the right direction. Updating and adding buses in theory should help tremendously.

Where I am confused is the mayor’s vision centers riding the bus.

How is this going to help the car traffic on the side roads and interstates? Will not taking away lanes for dedicated bus routes not add to the problem?

The white elephant in the room is the downtown area. All interstates go through downtown. We keep promoting an area that is overbuilt. Oracle is building a 70-acre campus, we are building a multibillion-dollar football stadium and even new shops and housing.

You can’t even drive in this area as it is now. Parking is a nightmare and unaffordable. Nashville needs to expand where they build and not have everything downtown. Nashville has and continues to ignore all commonsense approaches to addressing the problem with congestion and traffic. Now we as a city are being asked to spend billions of dollars to force a round peg in a square hole.

Many people have suggested smaller buses and I agree. In the Bellevue area the larger buses only have a handful of riders. With the price of fuel continuing to rise this should be addressed.

Are the new buses going to be electric and if so has a long term cost analyst been run for maintenance? New mechanics, equipment and buildings for upkeep will be needed. The traffic coming into Nashville on the highways is not being addressed, neighborhoods where you can't drive card down streets because of being overbuilt is being ignored. I just don't see how this will solve the Nashville traffic chaos.

I cannot support a $3 billion dollar investment as it is presently written.

More time and input needs to be given to make such a lasting decision. I do believe Mayor O'Connell is heading the right direction but we must not be rushed by the upcoming election.

Solve all of Nashville residents traffic problems not just downtown residents and employees.

Steve Jones, Nashville 37221

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I wrote a letter to the mayor about 3 months ago containing the points I've listed here at least a couple times before: Nashville has approximately a dozen disconnected streets between downtown and outer areas that (IMHO) are the best candidates for dedicated lanes for transit by connecting them. I won't repeat myself here, but suffice it to say these new transit lanes would not use existing arteries into the core (they would add to the mix) and avoid state highways, which I've learned from this board and elsewhere are off-limits for and robust future transit infrastructure. Anyway, as a non-resident who's watching things there with a great deal of interest, I put in my $.02. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I always say that we should strive to “think out of the box” in design and development, but it’s becoming apparent to me that a lot of folks around here , like Steve Jones in Smeags post above simply can’t. And it’s surprising how many are misinformed and/or uneducated about what an urban environment actually is, like Mr Jones talking about the core being “overbuilt “ when we still have upteen surface parking lots . He suggests that they spread out the development 😂that called suburbs MrJones. Mayor Barry’s Transit plan was just to “outside the box” and forward thinking for people to grasp, Mayor O’Connell’s Transit Plan has buses at it core which is something familiar to people that they can relate too. Nashville is growing up fast and is getting more Urbanized, but oh so many can’t understand what that entails. They seem to want just a bigger version of Franklin.

• Like 4

two takeaways from above post, I’m not at all surprised that Hartford (although not Gold, and still could improve) is high on the list . I posted about my recent trip to Connecticut, and how I found that even in cities with only 50,000 +/- had impressive transit options with buses leading the way. Second , this is proof that infrastructure ( not necessarily for automobiles) is the most valuable asset for any municipalities to have. You can have all the shiny buildings and fancy things possible, but without proper infrastructure it’s all mute.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

The big shocker to me is we should be looking toward our neighbors to the south (rather than Europe) for successful bus systems.  While the best BRT system was classified in Pakistan, Clearly Central and South America have figured this whole "bus" thing out.

This is a great point. Many Americans fawn over European transit, but our urban development patterns are much closer to cities in the Global South. What I wouldn't give to have a BRT and gondola(!) system like Bogota.

Edited by go_outside
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/14/2024 at 1:08 PM, markhollin said:

Nashville transit plan supporters launch campaigns.

I am concerned that it is very difficult to find information about the transit plan (for the layperson, I know there's plenty that has been posted in these forums - just googling for regular search terms like Nashville transit plan comes up with a few news articles and a bunch of websites about the 2018 plan, not the actual 2024 plan details or that PDF). Also hard to find ways to support the plan. Nothing about yard signs, which council members are supporting it, etc. Hope things ramp up soon before the opposition does...

• Like 2

My 34 year old son, is considering a new position within his corporate portfolio. He lives here in the ‘Boro , and had an interview Downtown at the location his new position will be located. So he decided that he would take the 84 bus and feel it out as he would be interested to use it on a daily basis to commute ( he feels that we all need to do our part, and I agree) . He said it was very comfortable , being that it’s a coach style bus instead of an intercity bus. But he did mention that he believes that increasing the number and frequency would be a big factor in his decision. If he can plan his day to coincide with the timing of the route, he will definitely use this opportunity. I have mentioned many times, that a regional transit system is a must have to make any kind of impact to improve the overall traffic conditions that currently exist , and  we know are just going to get worse with the influx of people moving into the area. Rail is just to far fetched for most to even remotely understand, so buses seem to be the logical solution for the time being. And also from a cost perspective, buses seem to be able to fit within the budget constraints. The State , including TDOT needs to get their priorities straight and start a plan to improve the infrastructure and transit needs of the Region. It’s not just building Choice Lanes and Smart Corridors that are needed, it’s reliable , affordable , frequent access to public transportation. 

• Like 1