The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

58 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Admittedly, I know nothing about rail travel, but I'd likely use it if it were speedy and reliable. My current threshold for air-vs-driving is to fly for anything over 6 hours (especially when the 2 hours precheck is accounted for). 

I find it interesting that Tennessee is actually more central to the predominant traffic directions (i.e. it's more of a crossroads than Atlanta) to many routes today, but the state's lack of leadership on this matter probably will (again) cede being a potential hub to Atlanta. I realize the state has virtually nothing in passenger rail infrastructure.  Granted the mountains made railroad networks more difficult to build in the 1800s and Tennessee lacked significant E-W routes, but the NE/SW orientation of the Appalachians would accommodate new lines to connect to Virginia, which is the southern terminus of the Acela corridor.  I'd even guess that NY-TX routes would be just as commerically viable as the NY-NO and possibly NY-FL too. I think a route from Nashville to Dallas (as a hub to Houston, Austin/SA and OKC) would be a key link. Last I checked on those Amtrak maps, there seems to be a preponderance of N-S routes, but limited E-W routes. 

TL:DR.... Nashville is more centrally located than Atlanta for many routes, but I expect TN leaders will let the opportunity pass.

The mountains make this far more expensive than would ever be feasible with Tennessee's relative auto dependency, but "higher speed" rail (like the ~110mph that Amtrak runs in Illinois now) would be the killer ingredient for Nashville as a train destination to Louisville, Indy, Cincy to the north, Memphis & St. Louis to the West, Birmingham & Atlanta to the South, and Chattanooga and Knoxville to the East.

• Like 1

As far as the mayoral candidates go, I have not really seen anyone with anything solid as far as proposals and how to pay for anything. I read the TN article yesterday and it seemed like a lot of Blah blah blah! None of the candidates are coming out with any bold plans on anything and there does not seem to be a genius in the mix. Sorry if I offend any of them reading this, but I would like to see some bold statements on how to fix something and how to pay for something. It more or less looks like politics as usual with every candidate saying what the voters want to hear. Oh, I heard the State and Federal Funds option, but those have to be applied for, approved, and granted and as we all know that can be a long shot at best sometimes and is never guaranteed. It also never covers the full bill!

I think Metro can be run better and much more efficiently and it starts with department heads that are not a match for the department they are running. There are probably overlap in services from different departments such as grass cutting crews working for Parks, Schools and NDOT. Why have three separate groups when you can more efficiently have one. The job is not getting done as it is now when you see some of the crap I see driving and walking the streets. That is probably just one example, but they would counter about cost tracking. It all comes out of the same pot and that is for the bean counters. I am sure there are multiple examples of crossover services of this nature all across Metro that would save millions in the long term. Building maintenance, fleet maintenance is two more right off the bat. You just track parts and hours. But Metro police, fire, schools and transit all have their own fleet maintenance. Diesel is diesel and gas combustion is that. These vehicles are built by the same manufacturers and there are only cosmetic differences except on the ladders and pumpers on the fire trucks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jkc2j said:

I wonder what the feasibility is for Nashville to build something similar to Vancouver's skytrain. It's an above grade system that doesn't require acrquiring ROW on the main roads to my understanding. I believe a skytrain line from the airport to downtown could be very successful.

Not sure what the cost would be but apparently the Vancouver system startup cost was $854 million. Not sure how that would translate into today's dollars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_(Vancouver)

That's exactly what I was thinking of, much easier to put pillars down then all of the rail.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

The ROW of the historical Tennessee Central Railway (which closed in 1968) is largely still intact between Monterrey (the terminus of the Nashville and Eastern Railroad) and Crab Orchard (private spur to Norfolk Southern). This railway was operational as late as 1992 and likely still has much of the railbed intact.

Similarly to what some folks have asked for in regards to Metro owned property, is there a database of some sorts of Road/Rail/Public ROW? 

I know this would be a very outlandish idea, but what if we were to lay rail along the high voltage utility line easements? With some creative thinking could those monstrous utility poles be "redesigned" to move them to one side or the other and have rail follow those easements? I feel like we would still run into grade issues and possibly a crap ton more bridges, but the Land and ROW is technically already there, no?

• Like 4

On 7/10/2023 at 1:14 PM, smeagolsfree said:

As always as the story states TN is starting from scratch and has no money in place unlike surrounding states. Why is it that Tn is always lagging behind other states? I think the main reason is leadership or lack thereof and any forward thinking on the part of the state legislature.  This is far from reality, and it is interesting that Cliff stated bus routes and not train routes between other cities. The way you connect your train routes with other cities is with more train routes and I know he was being careful there. As we all saw on the proposed map there is no rail connection to Middle Tn from Knoxville and that leaves a gaping hole in the transportation system if you want it to be comprehensive.  I commend Cliff for doing a great job explaining this and wish we had more people getting the message out.

My percent in seeing this done is about 10%. My outlook on the future of rail in this state is dim at best when the state cannot even build roads to keep up with the demands of the growing population needs and to spend billions of dollars on rail would end up being a waste of money to most of those legislators. I am driving back and forwards between here and Huntsville and it seems that there is always a 15 mile back up due to volume at the Saturn Parkway entrance now on I-65 that continues till the 8 lane at Goose Creek. The state cannot get a handle on the growth. Till then I think the money will continue to go into roads and not rail.

Right.  May as well be DOA.  Tennessee missed the deadline to apply for the "once in a lifetime" funding from the recent infrastructure bill awaiting a "report" from TACIR...did we not?  "Nah, bruh...we're good....give me some of that grant funding from the $5.8 million pot rather than that $1.8 billion one."  We have a plan to start planning.  Please someone correct me; why is this story getting so much positive traction?  I'd love to be wrong on this one. 

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1