The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

6 hours ago, bnacincy said:

Tennessee is always playing catch up to its neighbors wrt road construction but the State seems to think it is worth it to keep its credit rating high.

It's a pain though-for a while now its been embarassing as a native Tennessean to drive from Cincinnati to Nashville and get to the TN state line and have to go back to 4 lanes.

By the way (from one Queen City resident to another Queen City resident) you should really take a trip up 65 north (if you haven't already) and check out some of Louisville's great urban neighborhoods.

To me, what's the point of maintaining a high credit rating if you're never going to take advantage of it?  And yes, I agree... Louisville has some very impressive, and very Midwestern, urban neighborhoods.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Broadway bollards progress between 4th Ave. and 5th Ave. on south side.  An  extra curb barrier has been set here because of the new Broadway Police Precinct that will be imbedded in the Garth Brooks Friends in Low Places entertainment bar.

Broadway Bollards, April 23, 2023, 2.jpeg

Wonder how many overserved bachelorettes will stumble over those curbs 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Wonder how many overserved bachelorettes will stumble over those curbs 

I know!  Seems ill-advised. I am too old to change, but I'm not an injury lawyer. I suppose someone in Metro government has asked the usual basic questions. 

I get that pedestrians shouldn't be stepping off the sidewalk between the corners,  but there will be passenger drop-offs there, right?  Is it not enough to have the bollards?  If not,  why have them?  Additionally, is the sidewalk sloped toward the curb? Where's the drainage?  It would seem that someone was "overthinking" security. 

I thought that higher curb was put in because the sidewalk on that side of Broadway dipped a bit so if they extended it would actually go below the street level-or maybe it was Broadway that had a slope to it-whichever way, I guess that is why they did the 'step up'.

Could be wrong though-but in any case after you've spent a night of drinking it could be an issue for the 'Woo Girls' and others.

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Broadway bollards progress between 4th Ave. and 5th Ave. on south side.  An  extra curb barrier has been set here because of the new Broadway Police Precinct that will be imbedded in the Garth Brooks Friends in Low Places entertainment bar.

Broadway Bollards, April 23, 2023, 1.jpeg

Broadway Bollards, April 23, 2023, 2.jpeg

I took a walk down there last week and am so disheartened by the durability of these bollards. They are certainly better than nothing, but they are pretty bad. I saw a recently installed one in front of Margaritaville that looks like it had been hit in just the right way that the whole steel sleeve had broken away from the base plate and was loosely sitting on the post. These bollards may look decent, but they have very little strength it seems. The curb was installed here because with the slope of the roadway and the slope of the sidewalk there was a conflict for protecting the pedestrians and drainage. So rather than rebuilding the whole sidewalk (which is a much larger endeavor in this area of town), the curb was built with drainage to protect the pedestrians without a major overhaul of the road/sidewalk.

Also, this may be semantics at this point, but from what I have heard on the MNPD space in the Garth bar, it is purely an ops and traffic management center. It will not be a full blown precinct.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I took a walk down there last week and am so disheartened by the durability of these bollards. They are certainly better than nothing, but they are pretty bad. I saw a recently installed one in front of Margaritaville that looks like it had been hit in just the right way that the whole steel sleeve had broken away from the base plate and was loosely sitting on the post. These bollards may look decent, but they have very little strength it seems. The curb was installed here because with the slope of the roadway and the slope of the sidewalk there was a conflict for protecting the pedestrians and drainage. So rather than rebuilding the whole sidewalk (which is a much larger endeavor in this area of town), the curb was built with drainage to protect the pedestrians without a major overhaul of the road/sidewalk.

Also, this may be semantics at this point, but from what I have heard on the MNPD space in the Garth bar, it is purely an ops and traffic management center. It will not be a full blown precinct.

I saw that when they put the first ones in.  "On the cheap is the Metro way" That is the new Metro slogan, and it applies to almost every facet of work that they do. Just don't even bother getting me started. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

This is a topic that is either yes or no. If you allow 1 you have to allow all, just like any other business. There’s no limits on how many restaurants or bars , so that’s a hard pill to swallow. I will have to disagree with the pro crowd on this however. These sort of things don’t belong on the streets whatsoever. As I said before, our streets are not a circus! Keep that $@!! In the Honky Tonks , some of us don’t want to deal with the nonsense.

They could have a token (medallion) system like taxis in NYC; where the limited access determines the price for a given term. 

• Like 1

I don’t really blame the traffic on them, as you said , it’s a easy out. And I have no issues with the concept of the Honky Tonks, they are a vital part of the Nashville Vibe. If it’s not your cup of tea, that’s fine you don’t have to go in them. But the entertainment Vehicles, that’s different. There’s no way to get around the nonsense, even if you want to . They are everywhere right in our faces. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

I don’t really blame the traffic on them, as you said , it’s a easy out. And I have no issues with the concept of the Honky Tonks, they are a vital part of the Nashville Vibe. If it’s not your cup of tea, that’s fine you don’t have to go in them. But the entertainment Vehicles, that’s different. There’s no way to get around the nonsense, even if you want to . They are everywhere right in our faces. 

I really don't get what it is that upsets you so much about this activity.  The overwhelming majority of the riders on these vehicles are women based on what I've seen.  They're often with groups of their friends and it seems to me that they're just out there having fun.  Now if you want to talk about the activities that the men often engage in when they get a little wild on their trip to Nashville I think it's obvious that the more they drink the worse they behave and I'll bet that the police reports will back that up!  I've read quite a few derogatory remarks on this forum about bachelorette parties and that sort of thing and I wonder what that's all about.  I don't mean this against you, I enjoy reading many of your posts and you've made interesting and informative comments.  It's just this particular topic that confuses me.

Edited by MontanaGuy
  • Like 1

I definitely understand your thoughts. Without getting to personal or on a righteous rant , which I really don’t want to do. For me it comes down to public intoxication and having to openly witness it, I’ve had a few close good friends killed because of different alcohol related issues. And a family member who died at 28 from alcoholism, which I totally understand really isn’t connected to these party bus people but it’s IMO not something that should be showcased on our public streets. As I’ve mentioned before, I have no issues with anyone enjoying themselves and having a good time . But for me I believe it shouldn’t be openly and publicly displayed. I thank you for your kind words regarding my posts, I too enjoy your comments and definitely enjoy the pictures of projects around Downtown. 

2 hours ago, MontanaGuy said:

I really don't get what it is that upsets you so much about this activity.  The overwhelming majority of the riders on these vehicles are women based on what I've seen.  They're often with groups of their friends and it seems to me that they're just out there having fun.  Now if you want to talk about the activities that the men often engage in when they get a little wild on their trip to Nashville I think it's obvious that the more they drink the worse they behave and I'll bet that the police reports will back that up!  I've read quite a few derogatory remarks on this forum about bachelorette parties and that sort of thing and I wonder what that's all about.  I don't mean this against you, I enjoy reading many of your posts and you've made interesting and informative comments.  It's just this particular topic that confuses me.

• Like 2