5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

I remember from my time in the hospitality industry right after I graduated college, there would be regular questions from out-of-towners asking where they might go for shopping. I hated the reply I had to give--basically beginning with "Do you have a car?"

The closest thing for years has been Green Hills, or maybe to a lesser extent Hillsboro Village. It's about time someone can go downtown to spend some money!

• Like 2

Yup, it was only a matter of time. The snowball effect is well..., well, in effect. Between this, Capitol View, and the Lifepoint campus (if those go through) will give DT a true all around feel and experience. The last thing would be a good transportation system. Other catalyst will be the Sounds' park (the development around it) and places like OneC1ty and Aerston gives even more unique retail options. We may not be getting the tall towers some of us dream about. But we are getting some nice, dense developments!!!

timmay-one-four-three, we need more dialog from you these days, even if you have turned into a gator since last year.  You do still have that moderator "inflection", in your replies, you know...

-==-

I remember from my time in the hospitality industry right after I graduated college, there would be regular questions from out-of-towners asking where they might go for shopping. I hated the reply I had to give--basically beginning with "Do you have a car?"

The closest thing for years has been Green Hills, or maybe to a lesser extent Hillsboro Village. It's about time someone can go downtown to spend some money!

And now you also have the nearby boutique options in East Nashville.  Still, it will be nice to be able to do some shopping over lunch downtown.  And, by shopping, I mean guy-style-hit-and-run shopping missions.

• Like 1

I would've been more snarky. "You need a time machine. Set it to 1965 and direct your feet to Church Street."

• 2 weeks later...
Council OKs deal to sell old Nashville Convention Center

by Joey Garrison....  http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/05/06/nashville-convention-center-sale-metro-council/26967169/

Now, it comes down to whether lead developer Spectrum {sodEmoji.|} Emery can secure private financing to make the center's conversion into an ambitious $400 million mixed-use development a reality.The clock is ticking. The agreement with the city sets an end-of-year deadline to close on the property. Developers would have four opportunities to extend it by three months, but would have to pay $250,000 each time to do so.

Some older articles related to this project... http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/27/housing-fund-get-old-convention-center-deal/70554658/

And from Getahn Ward, this piece about the 781-space garage ($32 million)...  http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/03/26/old-convention-center-deal-millions-metro-space-garage/70526476/

• Like 2

Now, it comes down to whether lead developer Spectrum {sodEmoji.|} Emery can secure private financing to make the center's conversion into an ambitious $400 million mixed-use development a reality.The clock is ticking. The agreement with the city sets an end-of-year deadline to close on the property. Developers would have four opportunities to extend it by three months, but would have to pay $250,000 each time to do so.

I love how the paper keeps quoting this like they found some gold in the agreement. This is a provision put into the contract by the city for the city's benefit to allow them a back out point so they don't end up with Lake Palmer in case we have another Great Recession. Nothing more.

This developer has capital. They have investors. They have a project. And they have worked really hard at it already.

This is great for downtown.

I love how the paper keeps quoting this like they found some gold in the agreement. This is a provision put into the contract by the city for the city's benefit to allow them a back out point so they don't end up with Lake Palmer in case we have another Great Recession. Nothing more.

This developer has capital. They have investors. They have a project. And they have worked really hard at it already.

This is great for downtown.

The major hurdles have been cleared IMO. Not that the financing isn't a hurdle, but I feel like this project has momentum now that the legal issues and sale are set in place. 

The next thing I want to see is a major tenant signed.

The major hurdles have been cleared IMO. Not that the financing isn't a hurdle, but I feel like this project has momentum now that the legal issues and sale are set in place.

The next thing I want to see is a major tenant signed.

Yup. May not even require too much pre-leasing. Retail is hot. Residential is always built on spec. Office demand is high.

• 2 weeks later...

Another self-made photoshop by yours truly. I think this view, gives a sense of how the two buildings will impact the downtown skyline. The apartments may be in the 280' range while the offices should be around 320'. I show it in gray scale to help blend in the night rendering with the daytime background. Also, I know it's not a perfect fit, but close enough.

Render%203_zps19s3pc9g.jpg

Good job. Both towers are over 300'.

Welcome to the forum. I have seen your post there and look forward to seeing them here as well.

Not to slam SSP or SSC, we have tried extremely hard to keep the forum alive when the economy went south. When things picked up we were prime to become the leading Nashville built environment forum. I have posted on all, but this was my first home as far as the built environment goes.

Thanks for making this your home as well and feel free to join us at a forum meet.

• 2 months later...