5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

Fortunately, you won't have to wait long for more info!

I'm sure some will find fault, but I think most everyone will be happy with the way it has evolved.

NCH, I borrowed your other post from the Paramount thread so I could post a reply here.   Just wanted to say I've had a peek at the NCC site plan, also, and I totally agree with you.    This should turn out to be a great project for downtown.     

• Like 4

The comparisons to other cities is a no win argument. It's like politics or college football. No-one wins.  

I consider Austin and Charlotte two peer cities, but Nashville has a brand name. There are very few cities that have a brand name. Austin has Austin City Limits on PBS which is a fledgeling network begging for contributions to stay on the air. Nashville is on ABC which is a nationwide network watched by millions and has billions in assets. Tell me which city has more national cache'.

Austin has the University Of Texas, and is the state capital of a state with 26.96 million people, so both cities are strong. 

Yes, there is only jealousy of Austin by some members on this board. I don't waste my time on jealousy. It is wasted energy. If I had unlimited income, I would be living in NYC, London, Toronto, Paris, Edinburgh, Montreal, San Francisco, etc... Austin and Charlotte are not even on my radar. Both of those cities have taller buildings and that is it. They cannot offer me anything else that Nashville cannot except light rail, which is actually very weak.

Now getting back to the discussion at hand, the Convention Center site will be redeveloped by someone if it's not Pat Emery. Just be patient. It may be 2020 before all is said and done.

• Like 4

I'll just say this and end.

You are right with regards to many of the Nashville posters on U.P. as well as other forums.

It's not healthy psychologically:

The emotional negativity, the low self-esteem, the idiotic fake hierarchies because of a building's height or design. Posters of other cities do not seem to have this affliction. 

For all of you youngsters, do not let the height or design cause you to become an negative emotional wreck.

With all of the above being said, I will say there is competition between Nashville and other peer cities such as Austin and Charlotte. The cities are competing for jobs. Also there is competition for the tourist dollar in some respects witch Austin and Memphis, and a few others out there.

I do think there is a bit of jealousy with folks from different cities, be it on this board or others. When I visit another city, I try to keep my negative opinions off the board, however some of you know I will express myself at the meets. I enjoy visiting other cities and I do compare as far as what we have and the other city does not and vice versa. City leaders from Nashville and other cities also visit other cities to see the right way or maybe even the wrong way to door not to do things.

I am fine with the way things have been on this board, however we do not want to bash another city on the forum as it is against the rules. You folks are great about not doing that and it has not happened in a long while. I just do not want anything to get out of hand.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Both buildings look to be around 35 stories. The residential looks to be maybe 410' and the office looks to be around 450+. Just basing this from the height of the Renasence that is 385'.

GREAT find.

It was posted by one of the Austin posters on SSP. I just shared it since we've all been waiting to see the updated renderings. I'm very impressed with the changes. 

• Like 1

Now that's what I'm talking about. Big improvement in the design of the towers. Usually we talk about how renderings have taken a step back....this is a big step forward. Love the office tower design. This not only has some real height to it now, but I'm very happy with the retail component as well.

If this had been the original rendering from the 4-5 we looked at, this would've been my first choice.

• Like 3

That is the federal courthouse (or another building where the courthouse is to be built) behind the left tower in this picture.... no Renaissance to be found... or they made the hotel shorter and placed it a block North of where is actually stands. My condo is on the same block and I am between Church and Commerce and 8th and 9th...

In the rendering you can see Commerce as it passes 'behind' the Renaissance ... 

screen-shot-2014-11-04-at-84143-am*900xx

Bumped for comparison to the updated render.

• Like 2

"Fifth + Broadway" will be the name of the mixed-use development planned for the Nashville Convention Center site downtown. Can now rename this thread.  : )

Developers Oliver-McMillan and Spectrum-Emery also have hired veteran mixed-use developer Burgin Dossett to oversee the 
$400 million redevelopment project.  Full details here:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/11/10/name-project-manager-revealed-old-convention-hall-makeover/75507746/

Edited by markhollin

• dmillsphoto changed the title to Former Convention Center Site Development | 5th & Broadway