5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

Just dawned on me (apparently I'm a bit slow) that this project with its two towers will dramatically alter the hackneyed skyline shot from the Siegenthaler bridge. Already I can tell when that photo is used, and whether it's dated or not (with vs. without Veridian / Suntrust / certain signs on buildings).  This will make any attempt to use those old photos really obvious. Doesn't mean they'll stop using them... despite the far better shot already that can be taken from Gateway Bridge. Would love to see one of our artists do a couple of mock ups of the shot from Siegenthaler and then from Gateway with the Bridgestone, SoBro and 222 (with of course the 5th and Broadway towers in the background).  Will really fill in that "low spot" on the skyline. 

Agreed.  Sure hope that someone has the vision to take those narrow surface lots on Commerce on either side of 5th Avenue and come up with some interesting structures. If someone can come up with a skinny design like the Buckingham for the Gulch, then it would seem feasible that these lots have similar potential.  And who knows---maybe when they add several floors to the top of the Library garage they will simultaneously tear out some spaces that face onto Commerce at street level and turn that strip into some activated retail/eateries.  

I also think the surface lot on the southwest corner of Commerce and 7th (directly behind Hume Fogg HS) is prime for a large structure. Also, another adjoining dream would be nixing the two aging parking garages on the north side of the block running on Commerce between 5th and 4th and putting a big boy there---that would be a fanstastic location for the tallest structure in CBD---right in the middle of everything. Talk about massing--within a block or two would be AT&T, One Nashville Place, L&C, Meridian, Fifth 3rd Bank, 505, Renaissance, and the new 5th & Broadway towers---and my vision of a 65 story big boy right in the midst.  

I love your ideas.

Here is something to keep in mind. Buildings can occupy almost any geometry and find a way to function. Parking ends up being the critical element. The biggest issue with these smaller sites is that the geometry doesn't support a realistic parking garage as part of them. Until a mass transit solution is implemented this will reign true. Then these small sites will see vertical structures.

• 3 weeks later...

^ ^ ^
Has there been any indication yet as to what section along Broadway will be the African American Music Hall of Fame? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it might be the first several floors of the apartment building facing the arena. 

I hope they do something with the rooftop of the main 5-story shopping area.  Some greenery would look good up there. Perhaps a space for craft fairs in the warmer months. Small skating rink a la Rockefeller Center in NYC during the winter? 

I think the scale model shows the general massing of the project.   The model doesn't have the fine detail that you see in the Oliver McMillan renderings a few pages back on this thread.    The renderings, for example, show more activity, and some green, on the roof of the shopping portion.     The model also shows some steps or some kind of tiered seating directly across from the Ryman, whereas the renderings show a two story brick retail building in that spot.    I expect the renderings won't be the final word either, although I hope they are.     By that, I mean I would be thrilled if everything in the renderings came to be.   

• Like 2

So how will that 5-story shopping area work?  Is it similar to a mall, with interior walkways? 

There isn't a five story shopping area in the project. It is urban retail. All street fronting. The renderings are more current then the model.