5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

Notice how the naming rights on the tower go to "Global Industry"? Just wondering - has anyone heard anything more about the proposed Fortune 50 or whatever it was that was considering Nashville? This location and development would be a great spot for a high profile corp relocation ...

This would be a 5-7 year build out much like The Gulch or One City. This would be a game changer for Nashville, so let's se what happens. Could be  great thing if it happens. Remember how we all were with the Medical Mart? I won't get my hopes up.

5-7 years? I'm guessing you're including demo of the old CC instead of just pure construction of the new project. 

• Like 1

That could be the tallest parking garage in town at approximately 14 stories. Didn't notice at first, but from the southeast angle, just the left-hand building alone blocks the view of the Renaissance. I like the changes. 

It's quite likely the Emery will be in a hurry to get the residential tower going, as that sector is so hot right now.  Office should not be too far behind as it's such an iconic, high profile spot.  

Getahn Ward has more on this in the Tennessean.  Burgin Dossett is the PM, and he does not waste time.  This leads me to believe this one is going forward sooner than later. Fair to say he's no Alex Palmer. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/11/10/name-project-manager-revealed-old-convention-hall-makeover/75507746/

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Yes, Nash, Including demolition and further excavation if needed for parking. The demolition is gonna move a lot of concrete and steel from that old beast!

No. It will not be 5-7 years like One City. This is an integrated urban project. There is no way to phase it.

What the?

image.thumb.jpg.2d816da17c9b840bacb8bed4

That billboard makes it look like a car is driving down from the sky and the homeless guy is the only one noticing.

The biggest difference in the new render besides its remarkably high quality (as a piece of graphic art-they apparently made fairly detailed digital models of all the buildings around the development?) is the decision to move the parking above ground.  The older idea seems to anticipate underground parking.  I'm all for this as it makes for less scary parking and makes the towers that much taller, plus we don't have to wait 2 years before the thing starts to climb out of the hole.  The parking all seems clad in attractive finishes.

BTW, the coding for this site is jacked up, they must've just rolled out a new version.  It's acting funny, at least for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having the same problem Neigeville... when I page forward or back, I get the top of the new page but nothing below the advertising banner and the "loading" message. Clicking on reload will make it stop.

What the?

image.thumb.jpg.2d816da17c9b840bacb8bed4

A lost tourist perhaps? 

When I saw this post, I went back to the rendering out of curiosity to see where it was.  I saw that in the other rendering "above Commerce Street".  I realized I had been assuming that the lobby shot was in a different building from what I first thought.  So question to the architects among you: Is it a common practice for architects/drafters to use visual cues like this one to help in deciphering the frames of reference in renderings? 

Didn't realize that was a billboard.    ok.    Thought maybe it was an architect sense of humor thing - the old floating car joke.   

Having the same problem Neigeville... when I page forward or back, I get the top of the new page but nothing below the advertising banner and the "loading" message. Clicking on reload will make it stop.

This has happened to me several times in the last few days.    Not sure what's up.  

Having the same problem Neigeville... when I page forward or back, I get the top of the new page but nothing below the advertising banner and the "loading" message. Clicking on reload will make it stop.A lost tourist perhaps? 

When I saw this post, I went back to the rendering out of curiosity to see where it was.  I saw that in the other rendering "above Commerce Street".  I realized I had been assuming that the lobby shot was in a different building from what I first thought.  So question to the architects among you: Is it a common practice for architects/drafters to use visual cues like this one to help in deciphering the frames of reference in renderings? 

An answer... but not the one you are looking for. No, something this distracting should have been removed. It is far too literal.

These are professional renderings - meaning a company did these only does imagery. Architecture offices don't do images of this quality in house. Rendering houses tend to be painfully literal. If they have the environment modeled or in photos they will build it exactly as it exists. Warts and all.

The issue we have here is that Commerce Street in its current incarnation sucks. Surface lots and on-building billboards front a street that doesn't go anywhere, but is also too large. Everyone is amped about what it does to Broadway. I'm excited about how it is the first move to make Commerce into a legitimate urban streetscape.

The issue we have here is that Commerce Street in its current incarnation sucks. Surface lots and on-building billboards front a street that doesn't go anywhere, but is also too large. Everyone is amped about what it does to Broadway. I'm excited about how it is the first move to make Commerce into a legitimate urban streetscape.

Agreed.  Sure hope that someone has the vision to take those narrow surface lots on Commerce on either side of 5th Avenue and come up with some interesting structures. If someone can come up with a skinny design like the Buckingham for the Gulch, then it would seem feasible that these lots have similar potential.  And who knows---maybe when they add several floors to the top of the Library garage they will simultaneously tear out some spaces that face onto Commerce at street level and turn that strip into some activated retail/eateries.  

I also think the surface lot on the southwest corner of Commerce and 7th (directly behind Hume Fogg HS) is prime for a large structure. Also, another adjoining dream would be nixing the two aging parking garages on the north side of the block running on Commerce between 5th and 4th and putting a big boy there---that would be a fanstastic location for the tallest structure in CBD---right in the middle of 
everything. Talk about massing--within a block or two would be AT&T, One Nashville Place, L&C, Meridian, Fifth 3rd Bank, 505, Renaissance, and the new 5th & Broadway towers---and my vision of a 65 story big boy right in the midst.  

• Like 1

• dmillsphoto changed the title to Former Convention Center Site Development | 5th & Broadway