Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

LYN Gallatin has released an image for its Gallatin Avenue project that will include the updating of a building to eventually accommodate Hardaway Construction. With an address of 1001 Gallatin Ave., the building was last home to Holt Brothers Inc. carpet store.

Of note, Hardaway Construction is overseeing the interior upgrades to the building via a recently issued Metro permit valued at $900,000. The investor group that created LYN Gallatin is led by developer Adam Leibowitz, who has undertaken various developments and building renovations on Nashville’s east and north sides. Nashville-based Quirk Designs is the architect. LYN Gallatin in December 2015 paid $1.74 million for the multi-parcel, multi-building 0.80-acre property.   -Nashville Post

1001.57505aed707da.jpg

• Like 2

The one-time Nashville Memorial Hospital complex has been purchased for $6 million and will be redeveloped as a mixed-use complex called Due West Towers. Property is 53 acres, has five buildings, 560,000 sq. ft. of space, 1,450 parking spaces, a 500 seat dining hall, and more. The developer, Charles Jones, has had his hand in redeveloping Werthen Factory in Germantown and the St. Bernard Convent Building in Hillsboro Village over the years.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/06/08/madisons-nashville-memorial-complex-sold-6-million/85594398/

Due West Towers, Madison, June, 2016.jpg

• Like 2

"Metro will soon begin full-scale on-site work on The Paddock at Grandview on Trinity Lane, an affordable housing apartment building to offer 240 units. Mayor Megan Barry and officials with the Metro Development and Housing Agency will join LDG Development for a groundbreaking ceremony at 10:30 a.m., on Tuesday, June 14, at 216 West Trinity Lane."  --Nashville Post today

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 11.00.59 AM.png

• Like 1

On May 10, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Chris Lee said:

I drive by it twice a day to/from work and I haven't seen evidence of any work being done in the weeks/months since it was boarded up and fenced off. It just looks abandoned.

It looks like they recently withdrew a permit to add on to the original market. Not sure of the status now but it's definitely an eyesore. 

Also, I'm Thomas, everyone! Happy to have stumbled across this forum. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Thomas. Always great to have another set of eyes and ears out there. Make sure you come to the forum meet. Would be great to put a face to a name.

The first Saturday of the month at Provence in the downtown library. 10 am. Details are always opted on the forum meet page.

• Like 2

Well, it's a slow day at work so I'll post a few observations from around the neighborhood. Please feel free to delete if this has been discussed before. 

- Smallscale site work (tree removal) has begun on the Hobson Church redevelopment site. A storage trailer was dropped off at the site this morning. The house that is currently on the property appears to have been gutted. Really excited about this development. 

- According to google maps, Howe Gardens will now be call Eastwood Greene. I imagine that will help with lease up and give the property a fresh start. All the buildings have been painted except for the office and the house on-site. I am curious to see what becomes of the house, any ideas?

- I noticed on Friday that renovation has begun on the new botique burger bar located at 914 Gallatin Avenue. I could not find information on when they expect to open, but it's good to see they are moving forward. 

- This is not really an observation, but does anyone know what's planned for the roughly 9.65 acres owned by Upside, LLC on Davidson Street right before you enter Shelby Park? I know it is currently a large homeless camp. A site plan was submitted in April of 2015 but I cannot find any recent information. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Well, it's a slow day at work so I'll post a few observations from around the neighborhood. Please feel free to delete if this has been discussed before. 

- Smallscale site work (tree removal) has begun on the Hobson Church redevelopment site. A storage trailer was dropped off at the site this morning. The house that is currently on the property appears to have been gutted. Really excited about this development. 

- According to google maps, Howe Gardens will now be call Eastwood Greene. I imagine that will help with lease up and give the property a fresh start. All the buildings have been painted except for the office and the house on-site. I am curious to see what becomes of the house, any ideas?

- I noticed on Friday that renovation has begun on the new botique burger bar located at 914 Gallatin Avenue. I could not find information on when they expect to open, but it's good to see they are moving forward. 

- This is not really an observation, but does anyone know what's planned for the roughly 9.65 acres owned by Upside, LLC on Davidson Street right before you enter Shelby Park? I know it is currently a large homeless camp. A site plan was submitted in April of 2015 but I cannot find any recent information. 

Thomas: 

Thanks for posting these updates. 

The future use of the Cora Howe's former house on Greenwood is uncertain.  The structure has local zoning historic protection through the Eastwood Neighborhood Conservation Zoning Overlay, so there is no demolition threat.  For a time I believe that the building was used as an office or community center for the apartment complex.   Other commercial uses could be considered for that structure by way of a Neighborhood Landmark Overlay application if the property owner wants to work with Cliff and the Eastwood Neighbors group to set up community meetings to explore those options.

The information that you are seeing for 14th/Division (also Village Court to the north) from the Spring 2015 hearings before the Planning Commission and Metro Council is most likely the most up-to-date information presently available for that site.  I am not certain of Mr. Egerton's timeline for development that property.  He owns several pieces of property in East Nashville and often takes a long view toward development. 

• Like 3

http://southernathena.com/east-nashville-gallatin-walmart-sale/

Journal entry from the broker leasing the old firehouse on Gallatin. I'm sure there will be a more formal release soon, if true.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/06/17/former-east-nashville-wal-mart-property-sold.html

And here's the confirmation. 15,000 square feet of office space will be added to the site. 

Edited by WebberThomas4
  • Like 3

The 39,000 sq. ft. former Walmart store at 1216 Gallatin Avenue has been sold to SpaceMax Self Storage. Walmart had stipulated that whoever was buying could not be a competitor (grocery store or department store), hence, this is what ends up there.  SpaceMax says they will convert 15,000 sq. ft. of the space to some sort of retail.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/06/17/former-east-nashville-wal-mart-property-sold.html

1216gallatin-750xx800-450-0-43.jpg

8 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

im admittedly stupid about this, but, how the hell could someone who left a property dictate what type of business moves into said property after they close up shop?

I think it just means that Walmart wasn't going to sell to a grocery or department store, which they didn't. I doubt there's anything preventing SpaceMax from doing what they want at this point.

14 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

I believe that is an old picture from when the store first opened.

As to what happened, I can only pass along what I've heard through the grapevine: that the store had a significant shrinkage issue.

Wal-Mart shut down all of their Neighborhood Market Stores 

• Like 2

From Nashville Post this afternoon:

Brentwood-based real estate company Avenue Construction is pondering options for an east side property.

Tony Harris, Avenue Construction president, said he is in the early stages of gauging what might be best for the site, which is located at the northeast corner of the T-intersection of Main Street and Neill Avenue (see Google Map below, with building home to Swapmeet Stores to the immediate right).

“We are exploring some type of mixed-used building that would combine retail and residential,” Harris said.

“We are very early in the process,” he added. “But it is a prominent spot and we want to see what our options are.”

The 0.25-acre rectangular site is zoned to accommodate the type infill Harris seeks, he said.

Harris is part of an investor group that is looking to develop 17 townhomes on a property located at the southeast corner of the intersection of 31st and Delaware avenues in North Nashville's McKissack Park neighborhood and near oneC1TY.

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 2.46.12 PM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Wal-Mart shut down all of their Neighborhood Market Stores 

Wow they didn't last long in the area. We still have quite a few here in Virginia Beach and I even noticed quite a few when I was in Clarksville over the holidays. I actually prefer them over a super center.  I'm very surprised they didn't last in Nashville.