Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

Smeags, its ok to disagree on things. Debate is an important of a civilized society. Yourself and the other two people I quoted in my post are among the smartest people on this forum that I respect the most. I was just pointing out that I feel the reactionary name-calling was a little beneath the valid argument you may want to make. 

Woo!  I'm smart and respected!

What I don't like is the, what seems to me, the recent knee-jerk reaction people have that makes them want to instantly resort to legal means to change whatever their perceived problems are.  See:  other recent noise issues involving the greater EN area.  I wish people would first attempt to talk with the other parties and see if there was a non-legal resolution to their problem and also one that does not require money.  Does anyone know if someone has reached out to CSX to see if the problem can be resolved another way?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Woo!  I'm smart and respected!

What I don't like is the, what seems to me, the recent knee-jerk reaction people have that makes them want to instantly resort to legal means to change whatever their perceived problems are.  See:  other recent noise issues involving the greater EN area.  I wish people would first attempt to talk with the other parties and see if there was a non-legal resolution to their problem and also one that does not require money.  Does anyone know if someone has reached out to CSX to see if the problem can be resolved another way?

I have no knowledge of any attempt of dialog with CSX, but the plain truth is that the reaction to the noise almost has to be related to horn-sounding from trains approaching a crossing, both on the main (e.g. at Foster, Douglas, Delmas...) and on the Radnor Cutoff (e.g. Scott, Porter, Rosebank...).  I am certain that 97% of railroad horn-blowing is necessitated by trains approaching these crossings, and their succession along the railroad RoW and proximity to each other, would render it very, very costly to establish Quiet Zones for each of them (sorry, no Groupon discounts here).  It's a necessary evil over which CSX has absolutely no control, so the short answer is "No", as they cannot just stop blowing the horns at those approaches.  Greater East Nashville as a whole (all "flavors") has the distinct "honor" (as it were) of having the biggest concentration of level-crossings than does any other general sector of town (even more than North or South), all of which were established historically nearly 100 years ago.

The only alternative to Quiet Zones is either to separate the crossings at grade (under- or overpasses) or to close off the crossings altogether, and we both know that neither of those is going to happen. -==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

I am also irritated by people, and I have encountered numbers, who move from suburbs into denser areas and are horrified to discover it isn't perfectly quiet all the time.  They bring with them the homeowner's association ethos of "my neighbor's business is my business" and "my environment must be completely controlled", not to mention "my home value is the most important thing in the world."  If you want your environment spic and span and quiet, move to the burbs.  I want a little noise and chaos.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Neigeville2 said:

;[blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ...]

If you want your environment spic and span and quiet, move to the burbs.  I want a little noise and chaos.  

Hell yeah!.  I want me some good ol' proven "UrbaniX"

I even know of a relatively recent and formally documented case of neighbors in another sector, who complained of the city bus weaving through their immediate residential district, because the sound of the air-brake and relief-valve exhaust would disturb them in the pre-dawn hours.  They said they needed quieter brakes.  (i think I even told the driver to pump the brakes a few times in succession at those "problem" zones)

Edited by rookzie

12 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

Smeags, its ok to disagree on things. Debate is an important of a civilized society. Yourself and the other two people I quoted in my post are among the smartest people on this forum that I respect the most. I was just pointing out that I feel the reactionary name-calling was a little beneath the valid argument you may want to make. 

I understand and you are correct. I will say we have so many narcissistic people in the world, and also too much PC in our society. There are also a lot of thin skinned people that get mad when things do not go their way. That is the point I am trying to make.

Fair enough. I'll agree about people being thin skinned. Perhaps I was being one of them today. I may just be a little on edgy lately about issue pertaining to my neighborhood. We have a lot of problems over here that go along with many successes, so I can be a little reactionary sometimes when talking about it. Sorry if it came off that way. 

13 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Kind of a bummer, I was hoping Cult Fiction would open up.  Retail would be awesome.

Major bummer if you ask me. Cult Fiction gets shafted in this because they would have called this building home had it not been for the owners holding out for something like this to come along.

• 2 weeks later...

Shoney's and Limelight on Main Street sold to Chicago developer Don Allen, who continues to buy up lots on the "North End" of Cumberland's East Bank to add to his portfolio for the massive concept.  Last summer he bought Service King on that same strip, and already has 60 acres in the Cowan Street corridor.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/01/shoneys-limelight-sites-near-stadium-sold/81183348/

As a reminder, here is the background on Allen's longterm vision:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/02/exclusive-massive-project-envisioned-for.html

Limelight.JPG

Shoney's.JPG

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Shoney's and Limelight on Main Street sold to Chicago developer Don Allen, who continues to buy up lots on the "North End" of Cumberland's East Bank to add to his portfolio for the massive concept.  Last summer he bought Service King on that same strip, and already has 60 acres in the Cowan Street corridor.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/01/shoneys-limelight-sites-near-stadium-sold/81183348/

As a reminder, here is the background on Allen's longterm vision:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/02/exclusive-massive-project-envisioned-for.html

Limelight.JPG

Shoney's.JPG

They did core drilling on this site back last summer. I expected construction to have started months ago. 

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

Does this include Thai Phooket? Its right between Limelight and Shoney's, so I assume so.

I love Thai Phoo Ket, but i bet they have to move. I would love to see them near 5 Points.

This infill project has started....   The_Edison_1.56e33d33946fe.jpgThe_Edison_3.56e33d7948eb3.jpg

Located at the NW corner of E. Trinity and Gallatin.  The Edison will have 16 townhomes; 20 apartments and 8,000 s.f. of retail space. Should be a really good addition to that growing area.  From William Williams at NP:  http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20491553/work-starts-on-east-nashville-mixeduse-project

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Located at the NW corner of E. Trinity and Gallatin.  The Edison will have 16 townhomes; 20 apartments and 8,000 s.f. of retail space. Should be a really good addition to that growing area.  From William Williams at NP:  http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20491553/work-starts-on-east-nashville-mixeduse-project

This location information is slightly off. There is a Checkers fast food restaurant at the NW corner of Trinity and Gallatin. I believe the site in question is at the corner of Trinity and Casper, just west of Gallatin.

Edited by Rockatansky
grammar
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2016 at 5:31 PM, grilled_cheese said:

I  There are three very large (for Inglewood) developments...

Some of the developments in question (inc. the one @ Gallatin & Casper) are located in East Hill, which is part of East Nashville, not Inglewood. Developments on the East side of Gallatin are located in the South Inglewood neighborhood.

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

Some of the developments in question (inc. the one @ Gallatin & Casper) are located in East Hill, which is part of East Nashville, not Inglewood. Developments on the East side of Gallatin are located in the South Inglewood neighborhood.

As someone who grew up in both Inglewood and East Nashville I always found this distinction to be annoying.
But, I also hate separating Donelson and Hermitage