Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

4 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Because they are hesitant to seize private property?  That seems like a good thing to avoid if possible.  They can condemn it through eminent domain if they can prove blight (the state has tried to crack down on condemnations for purely development reasons), but even then, they have to pay a fair market price.  If the owner is already refusing their purchase offers, it is unlikely he will agree their condemnation price is fair, and the whole thing will wind up in court.

I am referring to action of a broad range of options, primarily cleaning up the property and/or making investments that bring it up to standards, in the extreme a move to acquire the property.  As I stated above, presumably (I was not involved in the details) the city, or even state, could have bought the property for $1 (or whatever low price) as this man did.  To my point about a lack of foresight.  To have bought the property then would have been a lot cheaper than eminent domain.  I did not see the local news segment, but if Metro is saying that it wants this property now, then that is simply a lack of foresight.  If they are simply wanting the place to be cleaned up, then back to my point above.  I really was not referring to seizing the property.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grilled_cheese said:

Alas, what often took place in those buildings was more important than its architectural worth. The demolition of the original National Life & Accident building, which held the original WSM Studios and all the history made there (which stood on the southeast corner of the Snodgrass Tower property) was a travesty. Is a building like this one in the article really worth saving ? I'm not so sure.

• Like 2

Reading an article today about 3rd and Lindsley turning 25 and found this:

"With that kind of luck, it’s no wonder he’s taking on a new venture with partner Richard King, who builds studios and has created locations for Jack White and The Black Keys.

The two have plans to create an artisan community in east Nashville. They own 35 acres with an 800-foot peak above the city and plan to develop the bottom 14 acres into 98 lots for housing.

At the top, an indoor/outdoor 200-capacity event space will be developed with room to expand and feature plug-and-play entertainment with fire pits and plenty of greenway to walk. It’s the highest elevation point in Davidson County and only four miles from the city’s center."

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=825706

Edited by grilled_cheese
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Reading an article today about 3rd and Lindsley turning 25 and found this:

"With that kind of luck, it’s no wonder he’s taking on a new venture with partner Richard King, who builds studios and has created locations for Jack White and The Black Keys.

The two have plans to create an artisan community in east Nashville. They own 35 acres with an 800-foot peak above the city and plan to develop the bottom 14 acres into 98 lots for housing.

At the top, an indoor/outdoor 200-capacity event space will be developed with room to expand and feature plug-and-play entertainment with fire pits and plenty of greenway to walk. It’s the highest elevation point in Davidson County and only four miles from the city’s center."

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=825706

I imagine this will go in the Hart Lane/Ben Allen Road area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I imagine this will go in the Hart Lane/Ben Allen Road area. 

Yeah, the only two places that fit that description are the undeveloped land between Hart and Ben Allen and the area new the tower between Hutson and Ben Allen.  I think the former is more likely.

And good on them.  That area is perfect for development.  How it went undeveloped for so long blows my mind.

• Like 1

My son-in-law was robbed at gunpoint last night in the five points district at about midnight. He was forced to lie down with a pistol pressed against his temple as his wallet and phone were taken. He was with a friend who was surprised by a second gunman watching from a distance.  It looks like even the crowded, popular places are not safe.

9 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

My son-in-law was robbed at gunpoint last night in the five points district at about midnight. He was forced to lie down with a pistol pressed against his temple as his wallet and phone were taken. He was with a friend who was surprised by a second gunman watching from a distance.  It looks like even the crowded, popular places are not safe.

Wow. Good lord almighty. There's so much legit work available in this town....why why why...does it have to be this way.....? 

Edited by Flatrock
Spelling
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

Thats terrible....glad he is safe.  one of the many reasons the city must continue densifying and encouraging pedestrian friendly neighborhoods.  That might sound an odd thing to say given the post I'm responding to, but it has been shown time and time again that in this country with more foot traffic comes a decrease in petty crime like this, mainly because the more people that are watching, the harder it is to get away with something like that.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Thats terrible....glad he is safe.  one of the many reasons the city must continue densifying and encouraging pedestrian friendly neighborhoods.  That might sound an odd thing to say given the post I'm responding to, but it has been shown time and time again that in this country with more foot traffic comes a decrease in petty crime like this, mainly because the more people that are watching, the harder it is to get away with something like that.

BnaBreaker, I agree with some of your post. Yet a gun to the head (armed, aggravated, violent robbery ) is a far cry from petty crime. In fact, I'm in 5 Points regularly - probably tonight,  in fact, to hear friends playing at the 5 Spot - and I see pedestrians all over the place. Better lighting? More police presence? Fewer criminals? Change in our legal system? There's something deeper here, I think. Rant over. Sorry to sidetrack. :-)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Flatrock said:

BnaBreaker, I agree with some of your post. Yet a gun to the head (armed, aggravated, violent robbery ) is a far cry from petty crime. In fact, I'm in 5 Points regularly - probably tonight,  in fact, to hear friends playing at the 5 Spot - and I see pedestrians all over the place. Better lighting? More police presence? Fewer criminals? Change in our legal system? There's something deeper here, I think. Rant over. Sorry to sidetrack. :-)

Oh no doubt, pedestrian activity is merely one element of many, so great points on your part.  More eyes on the street would help matters though no doubt.  

Also, just to clarify, I meant "petty crime" in a legal sense only and I was in no way trying to downplay the personal trauma that PH's son in law, or any victim of armed robbery, likely go through.  Apologies if it came across that way.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Would you care to be more specific with the exact location?  I only ask because I frequent 5 Points pretty regularly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Sorry to hear that. There are far too many idle hands in this community. Do you know the specific area?

• Like 1

Sorry I have taken this long to respond. After I called my daughter to see how they were doing, I went to a social event involving one of my other daughters and couldn't respond.

G-C and W-T, he and his friend were just across from the Red Door Saloon, when it happened. I don't know the area. 

Edited by PHofKS

4 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Sorry I have taken this long to respond. After I called my daughter to see how they were doing, I went to a social event involving one of my other daughters and couldn't respond.

G-C and W-T, he and his friend were just across from the Red Door Saloon, when it happened. I don't know the area. 

I don't go there often, but I've been in that spot. I haven't had any issues, but thanks for the heads-up. That's not an area I would expect trouble. But you never know...

Hope everything is alright with your son-in-law and friend....that must've been quite a traumatic experience!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh I sure wish they would just leave those tracks alone.  It is so infuriating to know that a lot of people who were paid a lot of money to make important decisions thought it was a good idea to just pave over those tracks and replace streetcars with buses.  UGH.  What I wouldn't give to see streetcars running up and down Gallatin Road!

Yes, yes, yes...a thousand times yes. 

• Like 1