Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

On 3/19/2016 at 9:35 AM, nashvillwill said:

Has anyone told you that's a really bad picture?

Thanks for the pic.  At least it gives those of us who almost never go to E.N. an idea of what's going on. I do recall the last time I drove up Gallatin Avenue that it was not far from downtown when the road began to look seedy with those sorts of convenience stores, tire and pawn shops and fast food buildings.  That was probably 8-10 years ago, and apparently a lot has been built through there. And then there are the ubiquitous "pine tree" power lines that come to within inches of motorized traffic lanes.  My question:  What are the overall changes along Gallatin these days? Are those old gas station/convenience stores being replaced with more attractive establishments; or  is the new development mostly/all behind those old stores as the photo above shows?  

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks for the pic.  At least it gives those of us who almost never go to E.N. an idea of what's going on. I do recall the last time I drove up Gallatin Avenue that it was not far from downtown when the road began to look seedy with those sorts of convenience stores, tire and pawn shops and fast food buildings.  That was probably 8-10 years ago, and apparently a lot has been built through there. And then there are the ubiquitous "pine tree" power lines that come to within inches of motorized traffic lanes.  My question:  What are the overall changes along Gallatin these days? Are those old gas station/convenience stores being replaced with more attractive establishments; or  is the new development mostly/all behind those old stores as the photo above shows?  

Little by little it is changing for the better. You still have your hair worlds and sketchy convenience stores, but, you also have new/great restaurants moving in, higher end bars, and many small independent shops.

It isnt what many want it to be just yet, but, it is leaps and bounds better than it was 10 years ago.

and....now there is a Cook Out! right where this photo was taken and that automatically makes it so much better IMO

• Like 2

The PSC Metals issues continue to mutate.  Who knows…maybe these legal actions will start to open the door for the property to get developed in a much more beneficial way for the development of the East Bank.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/28/dispute-between-psc-metals-landlords-heads-back-mediation/82348082/

PSC Metals.jpg

• Like 3

I know a man who is in the scrap business, although not for PSC or Steiner Liff... and he says their scrap yard on the East Bank is highly inefficient because they are using rail, instead of barge.  I can't say that has any bearing, but he has long experience in that industry and has made millions and knows what he's talking about. He said he cannot understand why they aren't "downstream" (i.e. Ashland City) to yield access to yards along the Mississippi.  He is from New Orleans; so thus has no axe to grind with PSC remaining on the river. FWIW!!

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

He said he cannot understand why they aren't "downstream" (i.e. Ashland City) to yield access to yards along the Mississippi.

I'm pretty sure they run barges from their current location, but I can't speak to what proportion of their product enters and leaves by the river, or where exactly it goes.

If PSC is dependent on rail, they don't have many options downstream. The Cheatham County Industrial Park only has access through the Nashville and Western short line. In Clarksville, it would be RJ Corman (though they wouldn't have to go through the lock at Cheatham Dam there). And this is all notwithstanding the fact that the further they get away from the city center, the harder it is for them to convince people to bring them scrap metal.

It sounds like what Nashville needs is a dedicated port district with rail and highway access. Right now, the only areas easily accessible by road, rail, and river are along the downtown riverfront.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I know a man who is in the scrap business, although not for PSC or Steiner Liff... and he says their scrap yard on the East Bank is highly inefficient because they are using rail, instead of barge.  I can't say that has any bearing, but he has long experience in that industry and has made millions and knows what he's talking about. He said he cannot understand why they aren't "downstream" (i.e. Ashland City) to yield access to yards along the Mississippi.  He is from New Orleans; so thus has no axe to grind with PSC remaining on the river. FWIW!!

Makes sense...I mean, they aren't even on a spur that's easy to access. I'm rather certain that trains coming and going from the site are under restrictions on when they can move since they have to use the single line that goes in front of the stadium, and the single spur that goes into the main part of the plant looks like it'd be rather tricky to navigate, not to mention limited in how many cars can be pulled in at once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

The 3.27 acre mixed-use Eastwood Village development that will include repurposing the 165-year-old Hobson Chapel and it's adjoining 92-year-old building is moving forward:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20493489/fall-start-eyed-for-east-nashville-mixeduse-project

Eastwood_Village_art.570e86f3d2efd.jpg

The site is at the SE corner of Chapel and Greenwood in the center of this satellite map:

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 2.48.39 PM.png

Hobson UMC 01.jpg

Hobson is one of Cliff's (and also one of my) crown jewels.  I'm relieved that it's preserved for adaptive reuse.

• Like 4

I just stumbled across the East Nashville Community Plan in a post on my neighborhood Facebook page with a couple interesting tidbits within. Not that a county "project" means instant progress or anything (this document is now a year old, after all), but these caught my eye and made me really hopeful that these have at least been identified as high-priority needs:

wMh5Er.jpg

YGWqci.jpg

• Like 3