Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

President of Historic Edgefield here.

It seems a few of you have made remarks about our neighborhood being in opposition to this, as well as other development. My impression is that this opposition is viewed as a negative thing. Although I'm not speaking for everyone in Edgefield, our neighborhood wants to maintain a livable situation and 37206 is quickly turning away from that due to smart growth being thrown away for dollars. Many of us in my neighborhood are not opposed to development. We are asking that it be done with more thought and care.

If the community doesn't force smart growth on these developers (who mainly are in it for the money, which I totally understand), what stops us from turning into an LA or an Atlanta? All of that so a handful of people can make 15% more then they would have if they gave back to the community with more thoughtful development?

These developers gravitate to this area, not because previous developers have made it appealing, but because of these historic voices that still live in the neighborhood. These voices have changed East Nashville from a more than questionable neighborhood to a place where people want to settle down.

Developers are licking their chops seeing this with almost zero respect to those who have made this place so wonderful.

Hello, I live very close by in East End.  I'm sorry if I painted a broad brush and was unfair.  I find most people are very reasonable but there are a very small number in EN who seem to vocally oppose just about everything.

I agree it is important for the community to set standards and guidelines for development.

I only want each proposal to be evaluated on it's own merits.

I am still waiting to see the design details, but is there a specific concern about this 10th/Russell proposal?

I live very close to 10th St and I am quite pleased with how nicely it is filling in. There has been some very underused space there for a long time. This is a street connecting 2 vibrant commercial clusters.  Filling in more density is appropriate in that context.

Kevin Erreger

1106 Fatherland St

• Like 1

It seems a few of you have made remarks about our neighborhood being in opposition to this, as well as other development. My impression is that this opposition is viewed as a negative thing. Although I'm not speaking for everyone in Edgefield, our neighborhood wants to maintain a livable situation and 37206 is quickly turning away from that due to smart growth being thrown away for dollars. Many of us in my neighborhood are not opposed to development. We are asking that it be done with more thought and care.

If the community doesn't force smart growth on these developers (who mainly are in it for the money, which I totally understand), what stops us from turning into an LA or an Atlanta? All of that so a handful of people can make 15% more then they would have if they gave back to the community with more thoughtful development?

These developers gravitate to this area, not because previous developers have made it appealing, but because of these historic voices that still live in the neighborhood. These voices have changed East Nashville from a more than questionable neighborhood to a place where people want to settle down.

Developers are licking their chops seeing this with almost zero respect to those who have made this place so wonderful.

I made a comment about some residents in Edgefield being vocally opposed to development, and one well-known resident publicly taking a position against development in general and against new SPs specifically.  I certainly respect your position of demanding quality development that maintains the quality of life of the neighborhood, but the all or nothing position of others does not help toward finding a balance that maintains the historic nature of our neighborhoods, creates a vibrant, walkable environment, and offers affordable housing options.  

I respect the long-time residents of Edgefield and other East Nashville neighborhoods (especially those that preceded the first big wave of gentrifiers in the 1980s), but I also respect the desires and needs of the young families and individuals who want to live close to work and be part of our community, but can't afford a 3500 sf brick Victorian (or a 1000 sf cottage for that matter).

I did not mean to paint all Edgefield residents as anti-development; I would also not paint all developers as lacking respect for the neighborhood.  BTW, I think your association web page has gone dark.

Cliff Lippard

1427 Greenwood

In lovely Eastwood

Edited by Nashville Cliff
  • Like 2

Have you been to Atlanta lately? I drove through most of the urban neighborhoods around Christmas time and their revitalization efforts  so far exceed Nashville no comparison can be made. Furthermore the Nashville/Atlanta comparisons have to stop. Both cities were founded at different times and different reasons. There are no similarities at all. Might as well compare Nashville to Manhattan, NYC then.

Atlanta is 50 years ahead of Nashville. Charlotte and Austin at least 10 to 20 years ahead in public transportation, land use management, corporate relocations, jobs, and neighborhood development. The Nashville CSA is around 1.7 Million. Atlanta? Over 5 million! L.A? 10 million so please stop with the ridiculous comparisons! Nashville, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Memphis, Little Rock, Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville, Raleigh, Norfolk, New Orleans, Richmond, etc.. are far better comparisons.

• Like 3

Have you been to Atlanta lately? I drove through most of the urban neighborhoods around Christmas time and their revitalization efforts  so far exceed Nashville no comparison can be made. Furthermore the Nashville/Atlanta comparisons have to stop. Both cities were founded at different times and different reasons. There are no similarities at all. Might as well compare Nashville to Manhattan, NYC then.

Atlanta is 50 years ahead of Nashville. Charlotte and Austin at least 10 to 20 years ahead in public transportation, land use management, corporate relocations, jobs, and neighborhood development. The Nashville CSA is around 1.7 Million. Atlanta? Over 5 million! L.A? 10 million so please stop with the ridiculous comparisons! Nashville, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Memphis, Little Rock, Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville, Raleigh, Norfolk, New Orleans, Richmond, etc.. are far better comparisons.

Let's all remember to be respectful because I think we can have a positive discussion and find some common ground.

For me, the comparison to Atlanta and LA is relevant.  I lived in Atlanta in the 90s for 6 years.  Atlanta in the last few years has been doing some great things (HOT lanes, street car, beltline rails-to-trails project, etc) but they spent decades digging themselves a huge hole that will be difficult to climb out of.  Atlanta is the real cautionary tale for Nashville because if you look at the highway congestion we are becoming more like Atlanta every day.

Atlanta and LA are among the worst examples of poor planning.  The main problem is low density sprawl that results in long highway travels for many everyday trips.  The way to avoid becoming Atlanta is to build high quality infill that gives people the opportunity to live, work, and play locally.

The emphasis on living local in the neighborhood and the positive environmental impact that comes along with that lifestyle, to me are very consistent with the character that makes East Nashville great.

• Like 4

Let's all remember to be respectful because I think we can have a positive discussion and find some common ground.

For me, the comparison to Atlanta and LA is relevant.  I lived in Atlanta in the 90s for 6 years.  Atlanta in the last few years has been doing some great things (HOT lanes, street car, beltline rails-to-trails project, etc) but they spent decades digging themselves a huge hole that will be difficult to climb out of.  Atlanta is the real cautionary tale for Nashville because if you look at the highway congestion we are becoming more like Atlanta every day.

Atlanta and LA are among the worst examples of poor planning.  The main problem is low density sprawl that results in long highway travels for many everyday trips.  The way to avoid becoming Atlanta is to build high quality infill that gives people the opportunity to live, work, and play locally.

The emphasis on living local in the neighborhood and the positive environmental impact that comes along with that lifestyle, to me are very consistent with the character that makes East Nashville great.

Point taken, I could have phrased it a bit more fraternally. However, I have heard this Nashville/Atlanta comparison for 40+years, and after this was brought up in a mayoral debate, I let myself get a bit upset at the comparison. I was not really talking sprawl and interstates, but the mere size of Atlanta is worth noting.   400 of the fortune 500 are located there, the amount of universities for exceeds us, and the fact the CSA for Atlanta is well over 5 million, almost 6 and to me is not a fair comparison. It is also hard to compare with L.A. that is in a state of 38.8 million cannot draw comparison either.

In regards to East Nashville. East Nashville may be the most diverse area in the city and yes, a lot of East Nashville needs to be saved and retrofitted, but East Nashville is also home to some of the cities worst blight. Conservation overlays et. al. I am happy with, however; I must also object to those that are against everything. Unfortunately Nashville for many years did apply and follow the Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Austin, L.A, Miami, Jacksonville sprawl model and it has made things worse on the environmental side.

The amount of flooding we had at the time in Bellevue and beyond was the result of sprawl. Bad land management, re-routing of streams, encroaching on river watersheds, remove of native topsoil, killing of of native plants that aided in soil conservation, killing off of native wildlife has hurt the suburban areas almost to the point of beyond repair. That is why I am a big proponent of large dense cities. Cities were located where they are for a reason, and in the case of Nashville, the rock basin aided in creating a city with a strong foundation without much impact on wildlife.

• Like 2

I was at Pepperfire the other day (mmmmmmmmmm) and asked about the status of their move. They, obviously, missed the June 15 goal for the new location down the road.  Normal construction delays.  The hot chicken crew wasn't sure when the move would happen, but they will remain open at the original location until the day the new one opens.

Hello, I live very close by in East End.  I'm sorry if I painted a broad brush and was unfair.  I find most people are very reasonable but there are a very small number in EN who seem to vocally oppose just about everything.

I agree it is important for the community to set standards and guidelines for development.

I only want each proposal to be evaluated on it's own merits.

I am still waiting to see the design details, but is there a specific concern about this 10th/Russell proposal?

I live very close to 10th St and I am quite pleased with how nicely it is filling in. There has been some very underused space there for a long time. This is a street connecting 2 vibrant commercial clusters.  Filling in more density is appropriate in that context.

Kevin Erreger

1106 Fatherland St

Cliff and Kevin, thank you for your responses. Cliff, you said it should not be an all or nothing. We don't want that either. Most of us are pro development after roads and parking have been addressed. I'm afraid to walk around Edgefield because of the fast traffic and lack of cross walks and lights that work. I welcome development actually, but thoughtful...and I think most of Edgefield feels like same. I'm at 7th and Shelby and boy do cars go super fast and the crosswalk light doesn't work. Can we fix things like that before adding more homes?

• Like 2

Cliff and Kevin, thank you for your responses. Cliff, you said it should not be an all or nothing. We don't want that either. Most of us are pro development after roads and parking have been addressed. I'm afraid to walk around Edgefield because of the fast traffic and lack of cross walks and lights that work. I welcome development actually, but thoughtful...and I think most of Edgefield feels like same. I'm at 7th and Shelby and boy do cars go super fast and the crosswalk light doesn't work. Can we fix things like that before adding more homes?

I do a lot of advocacy in various ways for safer streets.  I have two children 3 and 5 and we walk, bike, stroller, red wagon, etc all over EN including through Edgefield to get to East Park and some of the businesses nearby such as Yeast Nashville and Bagel Face.  I bike commute on Shelby and am aware of what that street is like.

I lobby public works often.  Most of the time it goes nowhere.  I did get them to fix the sidewalk on Fatherland near 13th and the storm grate in the bike lane on Shelby near 5th.  If you have the leverage of an organized neighborhood group you may have a stronger position.  Keep the pressure on Public Works, talk to your council rep.  Carol Norton also has a lot of respect and connections with public works and has been instrumental in getting things done.

I fight for walk/bike safety, smarter street design, and safer traffic laws just about every day in all kinds of different ways.  I don't see how this problem at all precludes adding more homes. In fact, one of the best things we can do for walking safety is to get more people out walking around and make it part of the normal culture.

For something like a problem with the crosswalk light you can report it here:

It may also speed up repairs to report to the city council rep who is currently Peter Westerholm.

If you want to see traffic calming on Shelby I am all for it, including modifying the street itself and/or speed limit but that is going to be a long range uphill battle.  If the neighborhood really gets behind it and you communicate to Peter what you want then the chances improve.
Edited by 37206dude
  • Like 2

From the EN google group:

Join Peter Westerholm and the project designers for 17th and Fatherland to ask questions and get information about the future use of the church. We will meet on Wednesday, June 24 at 5:30 at the Shelby Community Center.

This is the church across from The Post near Olive & Sinclair Chocolate

• Like 1

Was just about to post the same thing. Nashville's status continues to rise in all areas, with our sports facilities naming rights moving from relatively obscure, medium-sized companies (Gaylord, Sommet Group, LP) to now two Global 100/500 corporations (Nissan, Bridgestone).

• Like 2

And the businesses that were in that little strip (Hop Stop, Mickey's) before the announcement are going to make even more of a killing once those are completed.

makes me wish my uncle never sold this building and my fathers scooter shop was still here.....though his location on Trinity Ln is suiting him much better in terms of size, this exposure to new residents would have been great for him

Does anyone know how they are defining the 358 "affordable units?" Is it going to be targeted as workforce housing or additional low income housing? It will be interesting to see if they strike the appropriate balance between low income, affordable units, and market rate.

Does anyone know the significance of the conversion to section-8 project based housing for the other properties that were mentioned?

Love it. This has been in the works for years, so I'm glad it's finally going to happen. Will be a huge win for East Nashville if implemented properly.

• Like 1

It's most likely and logical that it's for low-income, just as Metro did for Sam Levy on Foster (East), Preston Taylor on Clifton, and for John Henry Hale on Jo Johnston.  Rather than "displace" the current culture there, Metro has upgraded for same use.  This is just a thought.  As relatively close to the CBD transit as it is (just as is Sudekum and Napier), and given its high occupancy of tenants, it needs to remain primarily for low-income.

I agree, though, that a judicious integration of affordable workforce within this complex would lessen the concentration, institutional appearance, and connotation of being a "project" project (govt. hsg.), as well as a strive aimed at fulfilling dual needs (or a unique "triple" purpose, if made mixed-use).

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Can someone help decipher the Cayce article in layman's terms? I've been following the project and reading all of the articles but only have a high level grasp of what's going on. There're going to build 68 units somewhere in EN pretty soon? They theyre going to move 68 families from the old Shelby housing units to the new ones and then demo the old building they moved from? Two entities swapped some land and/or reclassified something to allow something? I like the fancy illustrations and everyone seems to favor how this project is playing out. Seems like its a 3-5 year project? Will the old brick buildings on the right of Shelby going East be replaced with the new units from the illustration from the Tennessean article today?

Edited by FatherLand

It's most likely and logical that it's for low-income, just as Metro did for Sam Levy on Foster (East), Preston Taylor on Clifton, and for John Henry Hale on Jo Johnston.  Rather than "displace" the current culture there, Metro has upgraded for same use.  This is just a thought.  As relatively close to the CBD transit as it is (just as is Sudekum and Napier), and given its high occupancy of tenants, it needs to remain primarily for low-income.

I agree, though, that a judicious integration of affordable workforce within this complex would lessen the concentration, institutional appearance, and connotation of being a "project" project (govt. hsg.), as well as a strive aimed at fulfilling dual needs (or a unique "triple" purpose, if made mixed-use).

-==-

Would be great to see a similar upgrade of other barracks-style housing projects like Cheatham Place and Napier Place.  Better for residents, neighbors, and the city as a whole.  

• Like 4