Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Here's a link to the power point presentation from Monday's Envision Cayce meeting.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/afb0c27ebab8b8df2e6c47f67/files/Envision_Cayce_update_051815v1.pdf

This may have been accessible via the PP presentation - here is some info from the Envision Cayce press release -

MDHA has HUD approval – HUD approved MDHA’s RAD conversion application on 3/31/15.

Cayce remains the top priority – Of the housing projects requiring complete redevelopment, Cayce Place is the first priority.

MDHA remains committed to the Master Plan – The 18 month collaboration between MDHA, EJP Consulting Group, the Community Advisory Group, Residents and related stakeholders resulted in the creation of the Envision Cayce Master Plan. MDHA remains committed to that plan which includes:

1. 1 for 1 replacement of existing public housing units with limited disruption to residents during construction.

2. Existing residents get first priority to return

3. 1,500 additional affordable housing units

4. Mixed use to include retail

5. Better access to public transportation

Schedule for implementation is on track – MDHA plans to build 67 new units on 5th Street and is working on plans to build additional units on site that would be completed in the Summer of 2017. When completed, existing residents would move into those new units. Obsolete units would then be demolished to make way for new construction. This phased approach of building first, then demolishing old units, allows for on-site relocations (“From Cayce to Cayce”).

Implementation is contingent on financing – The RAD program is a mechanism for converting traditional section 9 public housing units to section 8 public housing units, which provides a more stable stream of HUD subsidies. Through RAD the title on the land is transferred from HUD to MDHA. With an unencumbered title, MDHA can then access private funding sources for the redevelopment. MDHA will spend the next year pursuing sources of financing.

Envision Cayce is Nashville’s opportunity of the century – A privately funded, mixed income and economically sustainable community provides the best opportunity to break the cycle of multigenerational poverty and ensure that the 1,200 children at Cayce can realize their full potential. It also includes 1,500 additional units of affordable housing near downtown and with direct access to the interstate. Simply put; it is our largest opportunity to increase affordable housing, where we could have the biggest impact on the largest number of families that need it most and the chance for Nashville to become a national model for overcoming the challenges of concentrated poverty.

You can make a difference – This plan will require support and advocacy from the community as well as from Metro Council and the Mayor’s Office. With upcoming elections, make sure your voice is heard and your candidates support Envision Cayce.

• Like 2

Hunters Automotive properties are apparently listed for sale.  Anyone know anything about this one?

I can't even guess if these are attractive prices or if this is more of a "make-me-move" see what the market is kind of thing...

If I understand correctly, then this is right where the above mentioned recent surveying was.

What would you all like to see here?  It's prime spot.  I'm hoping there will be eventually be a smoother (more pedestrian friendly) connection between the Main St corridor, 5 points, and the start of Gallatin with Barista Parlor etc and all the new residential there.

9dac52bc307e4dd998bf4f5c08c61c1c.jpg
974 Main St / East Nashville Nashville, TN

The Hunters Custom Automotive campus at Five Points is being offered FOR SALE. The campus south of Main Street consists of a total of +/-4,...

• $1,750,000
  • 4,160 SF Bldg
  • Street Retail
34073f086dcd4a139911772290f6d55b.jpg
969 & 975 Main St / East Nashville Nashville, TN

The Hunters Custom Automotive campus at Five Points is being offered FOR SALE. The campus north of Main Street consists of a total of +/-26...

• $4,750,000
  • 26,982 SF Bldg
  • Street Retail

The Hunters thing reminded me...

These guys are planning a very cool sounding project to clean up and do something useful with that ugly concrete triangle in front of the library.

http://www.turbonashville.com/#!gallatin--11th/c20nw

Gallatin & 11th

We are at the beginning of brainstorming ideas for this unused space where Gallatin and 11th merge. It is right next to East Nashville Magnet School, the East Branch Library, Village Church, and Calypso Café. Some ideas for this unused concrete triangle include fun popups related to the school or library and adding more trees, flowers, and plants. What do you think this space should be used for? 

here is a google map pic of the spot I'm talking about

triangle.png

These guys are planning a very cool sounding project to clean up and do something useful with that ugly concrete triangle in front of the library.

Gallatin & 11th

We are at the beginning of brainstorming ideas for this unused space where Gallatin and 11th merge. It is right next to East Nashville Magnet School, the East Branch Library, Village Church, and Calypso Café. Some ideas for this unused concrete triangle include fun popups related to the school or library and adding more trees, flowers, and plants. What do you think this space should be used for? 

here is a google map pic of the spot I'm talking about

triangle.png

Perhaps a smaller version of something like this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/arts/design/a-prescription-for-plazas-and-public-spaces.html

Wow Hunters is for sale. Those are big numbers. Regarding your 'make me move' comment, recently talked with new owner of Top of Woodland, they bought it for $915,000 and are converting it to a 9 room Urban Cowboy BNB

This one makes me a little nervous.  I would like to meet the new owners in person but haven't had a chance to do that just yet.  While changing the decor is fine, I sincerely hope that any historic millwork and other interior trim details are retained. 

This desperately needs to be a roundabout.

Gallatin & 11th

Edited by Chris Lee

This desperately needs to be a roundabout.

Chris, I'm not going to disagree with you.  That seems to be the strong consensus.  For me, it would be nice but not critical.  There really isn't that much volume of traffic on the 11th street side.  There are cheaper ways to calm traffic there than building a roundabout but something is sorely needed.  There is a school, a library, bus stops on both sides of the street, and this spot is horrible to cross on foot.  There's not even a painted line for cars to stop at the red light so they roll right up to the crosswalk.

Someone else can fill in (hopefully a brief version of) the history because it long predates my arrival to the neighborhood in 2009. The plan for a "Civic Oval" at this location goes back to at least 2005 as far as I can tell.   Talk to public works, for all I know they may be working on it right now, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't want to get sidetracked too much about the roundabout plan, since I want to emphasize that there is a real opportunity for a community project to do something small but substantively helpful here with the triangle. The library and the school should be priorities for the neighborhood and have a dignity about them.  Lots of students walk across the street to that library and outdoor space.  That triangle is a crying shame right now.  We are talking about just some regular citizens putting in some plants, art, etc to make it a more worthwhile use of space.   If the city ever gets around to a bigger fix (including traffic flow) then that would also be well appreciated.  

I see two purposes for this project here.  First is the direct and obvious one to make better use of this specific public space for the quality of life of the students, library visitors, neighbors, patrons of local businesses, etc.  Second is the principle in that it will hopefully cause more people to think about how we use public space in general.

• Like 1

Any news from LSNA meeting last night? Unfortunately couldn't make it. Specifically curious about church @ 17th & Fatherland.

I attended the Rosebank Neighbors meeting first and so got to the LSNA meeting late.  And it was difficult to hear in the MadDonna's loft, which is a common issue for LSNA meetings.

What I gathered was that there will be three uses in the building:  a small hotel portion, a restaurant portion, and an event space portion.  Parking was raised as a concern with regard to the event space if there are a lot of attendees at events if those events are not hosted in conjunction with the hotel and restaurant portions of the building. 

Lockeland Table patrons utilize nearby parking lots, so that restaurant's seeming lack of on-street parking demand is a little bit deceiving.  For 17th/Fatherland, the presenters indicated that they are exploring nearby church lots to use for valet parking areas, particularly for events.

Sorry that I don't have, or recall, more details at this time.  Elizabeth Smith or another LSNA board member may have minutes to share.

Edited by bwithers1

The SP for Greenwood Village was approved as part of the consent calendar at planning yesterday.  This is the mixed-use project involving the renovation of the old Hobson UMC at Greenwood and Chapel, plus several detached homes.  Also approved was a zoning change to allow for a brew pub at the site of the short-lived Boone and Sons at Greenwood and Porter.

• Like 2

The SP for Greenwood Village was approved as part of the consent calendar at planning yesterday.  This is the mixed-use project involving the renovation of the old Hobson UMC at Greenwood and Chapel, plus several detached homes.  Also approved was a zoning change to allow for a brew pub at the site of the short-lived Boone and Sons at Greenwood and Porter.

Great to know.  I almost settled in a house about a block and a half east of there, back in early 2003.  Hobson United's building was a major stimulus for me to consider that area.

-==-

Great to know.  I almost settled in a house about a block and a half east of there, back in early 2003.  Hobson United's building was a major stimulus for me to consider that area.

-==-

We live two houses west of Chapel on Greenwood.  We, and several of our neighbors, are very excited about the potential for this project.

• Like 1

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2015/06/01/big-property-value-increase-concerns-east-nashville/28330981/

"I moved here when it was affordable and will be forced out as a senior citizen," said Elizabeth Bush, a longtime Lockeland Springs resident. "Young people love it here because they think it's hip, but they have no appreciation for its history."

So old people are the only ones who have the capacity to care about history?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2015/06/01/big-property-value-increase-concerns-east-nashville/28330981/

So old people are the only ones who have the capacity to care about history?

It might have been a bit embellished with passion, but I believe the intended point in the context was that generally the older residents have had a direct association with "heritage", native structures within a given region, often decades before a succeeding generation (or two) has followed.  It's not that the hip can't appreciate history, but face it, when we have formed our lives around certain elements of our native environments ─ structures which we formerly had taken for granted to be inert and "forever" ─ and we have developed a relationship with the details of these structures, then we are the ones most apt to hold compassion for these items and contempt for their displacement.  Upon their arrivals, many if not most newcomers never will have witnessed or even heard of most of these structures, except by archived photos.

It's really hard even for me, as an oldie, to really become attached to an old building, without it having been a regular in my immediate presence for a few times at least, even though I still could admire its past.  You might not have been maudlin (or maybe you were) about the sights of the Tulane Hotel or the Bijou Theater, razed 1959, 1958 respectively, but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't have held high regard for their style and ambiance.  I will agree that one doesn't have to be married to an old hulk to appreciate it (or her).

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

Well, I can agree with some of the frustration, but disagree with the statement.

I may be a few years past "young and hip", but I still like to think of myself that way. I'm also new to east Nashville having only lived here a year. But when I drive around town, I always have an appreciation for the history of East. I see the lot of the house my grandmother grew up, which has now been a gas station for 30 something years. I see the house on N. 14th that my great-grandfather built with his bare hands and admire the details. I imagine my grandparents walking through the doors of East End UM church on their wedding day. I imagine them before their wedding (and the war) sneaking away on the street car to the far away West End for a secret date to envision a life together in the new swanky part of town (which they ultimately accomplished together). I remember stories of the amazing businesses and houses on Gallatin Rd. before my parents generation destroyed them all for strip malls and gas stations. I remember stories of walking barefoot down the dirt roads of east before they were all paved over and pedestrians pushed to the ditches by my parents generation. I heard my grandparents talk about the street cars as the lifeblood of the community before they were all dismantled by the older generation.

Sure, I may be a young"ish" newcomer, but that doesn't mean that I have no respect for the past. And to be quite fair, by the time we got here, they didn't leave a whole lot of "the past" for us to appreciate.

• Like 1