Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

If you have not looked at the 6th and Main (Stacks On Main) site lately, you need to. They have placed so much foundation rock, that the first floor of 6th and Main will be the second floor of 5th and Main. The fifth floor of Stacks will be the 6th of 5&Main. They are pushing the 72 foot height limit for East Nashville.

If you have not looked at the 6th and Main (Stacks On Main) site lately, you need to. They have placed so much foundation rock, that the first floor of 6th and Main will be the second floor of 5th and Main. The fifth floor of Stacks will be the 6th of 5&Main. They are pushing the 72 foot height limit for East Nashville.

Their permits were on the sheet today, btw. Moving right along!

Yeah, I saw that. Seems strange to fill in with all that rock

Yes, they told us the soil was too soft. They had to build it up with a rock base so the concrete pad for the first floor would not crack.

Oh.....right. I get it. So instead of doing it the proper way and digging a solid foundation, their plan is to elevate it for the slab (which will eventually settle and break) and we are left with a weird building that is 8' above street level. Hum....yep.....dollar dollar bills ya'll! Makes perfect sense.

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 1

Oh.....right. I get it. So instead of doing it the proper way and digging a solid foundation, their plan is to elevate it for the slab (which will eventually settle and break) and we are left with a weird building that is 8' above street level. Hum....yep.....dollar dollar bills ya'll! Makes perfect sense.

Ridiculous.  I know I sound like a broken record every time I say this, but can Nashville PLEASE attract some developers that aren't penny pinching suburbanites just looking to make a quick buck?!

The 4-way stop at 11th/Forrest has been on Public Works list for many years now.  That particular 4-way stop was listed as a back-stop solution if the Civic Oval was not implemented.  That's how long this has been on the list.  It was placed on the back burner during discussions about the AMP given the potential re-arrangement of that entire intersection area.  But in light of the failure of both the Civic Oval and the AMP plans, Public Works offered this solution as the next-best plan.  It's still welcome nonetheless. 

Has anyone seen the cottage neighborhood being built down in the 'gully' around Shelby & 14th? There might be 6-8-10 units down there, they added 'driveways' from Boscobel & from 14th, and looks like 3 units under construction with 2 other units demo'd at 16th & Boscobel

Has anyone seen the cottage neighborhood being built down in the 'gully' around Shelby & 14th? There might be 6-8-10 units down there, they added 'driveways' from Boscobel & from 14th, and looks like 3 units under construction with 2 other units demo'd at 16th & Boscobel

I have seen that and it looks very out of place.  I feel bad for anyone living across the street from them that will have to look at them every time  they walk out their front door.  That being said, it is a tough property to develop and they are making the most out of it, or at least making the most money off of it, so I have mixed feelings about it.  Every little bit helps I guess, I just wish they'd done something that fit in with the vibe of the surrounding blocks a little better.  

Am I crazy or did they finally make the Forest/N 11th St a four way stop?

The thing that struck me (or didn't) is that I never noticed any "new stop" warning signs or anything. I nearly blew right through it on 11th as a car was pulling out from Forrest. I nearly hit him and I would have been at fault, but I just didn't know it was there. It caught me off guard.

While we are talking about it, does anyone else get frustrated with the lights on 11th and Gartland? The light that stops you at Gartland stays green for a matter of seconds, while the light just past it (onto Galatin) stays green for another 30 seconds or so. What's with that? There isn't going to be a rouge wave of traffic coming off of Gartland.

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 1

The thing that struck me (or didn't) is that I never noticed any "new stop" warning signs or anything. I nearly blew right through it on 11th as a car was pulling out from Forrest. I nearly hit him and I would have been at fault, but I just didn't know it was there. It caught me off guard.

While we are talking about it, does anyone else get frustrated with the lights on 11th and Gartland? The light that stops you at Gartland stays green for a matter of seconds, while the light just past it (onto Galatin) stays green for another 30 seconds or so. What's with that? There isn't going to be a rouge wave of traffic coming off of Gartland.

That one's been disgusting for quite some time, even for rare passers-through like me.  Even worse, when you're passing late at night.  That's Nashv'l for you ─ Traffic Div. seemingly indifferent to these innumerable aberrations.

-==-

The area from 14th - 18th from south of Fatherland to Shelby was outside of the Lockeland Springs Conservation Zoning Overlay until the LSNA neighborhood canvassed the property owners and added that area to the Overlay last year.  There were quite a number of interesting buildings constructed in that area during that time.  Believe it or not, a few permits for non-conforming buildings are still active in that vicinity.  That means that the builders started enough construction activity to be considered legally vested in their permits even though the permits were pulled more than six months ago.  So due to a technicality, they can still build the original permit without having to conform to the design guidelines.  And given the extreme grade changes, the design guidelines had to be modified for that area so that front-loading garages are still allowed in some cases.

But at 16th/Boscobel there are a few projects happening.  This is the MHZC staff recommendation for the northwest corner of 16th/Boscobel  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/09%2017%202014/SR%20322%20S%2016th%20Street.pdf.  Because there were currently two detached non-contributing buildings on that one lot, the new Duplex Bill rules that passed last year actually grandfathered in the ability to reconstruct two detached buildings. 

Across the street at the Southwest corner of 16th/Boscobel, CM Westerholm approved an SP to allow 3 houses at 404 S 16th http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/11%20November%2019/SR%20404%20S%2016th%20St,%202014,%20infill.pdf.  Lockeland Springs neighbor Drew Sloss is working on that project.

There is also some activity taking place along Shelby in the 1400 block of Shelby.  The north side of that block is inside the Overlay (keep in mind the above caveat about vested non-conforming permits as well as modified design guidelines on steep grades), but the south side of that block is outside the Overlay. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

But at 16th/Boscobel there are a few projects happening.  This is the MHZC staff recommendation for the northwest corner of 16th/Boscobel  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/09%2017%202014/SR%20322%20S%2016th%20Street.pdf.  Because there were currently two detached non-contributing buildings on that one lot, the new Duplex Bill rules that passed last year actually grandfathered in the ability to reconstruct two detached buildings. 

Across the street at the Southwest corner of 16th/Boscobel, CM Westerholm approved an SP to allow 3 houses at 404 S 16th http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/11%20November%2019/SR%20404%20S%2016th%20St,%202014,%20infill.pdf.  Lockeland Springs neighbor Drew Sloss is working on that project.

Ah, the 'roller coaster' as my Grandfather called it. Put the car in neutral at the top of the hill and coast down then back up to the other hill. He did it with me in the car and as a young man I tried it out a couple of times. It was a popular East Nashville site. There is a stop sign now, so you can't experience it as it was back in the day.

I lived on Electric Avenue (in the log house) (really!) for a few months as a youngster and walked to Lockland Elementary School daily. I always walked down the 'roller coaster'.

Electric%20Avenue_zps7jzructw.jpg

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

Ah, the 'roller coaster' as my Grandfather called it. Put the car in neutral at the top of the hill and coast down then back up to the other hill. He did it with me in the car and as a young man I tried it out a couple of times. It was a popular East Nashville site. There is a stop sign now, so you can't experience it as it was back in the day.

I lived on Electric Avenue (in the log house) (really!) for a few months as a youngster and walked to Lockland Elementary School daily. I always walked down the 'roller coaster'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuwxZSIS__4

• Like 3

Good thro'bak, UTg.  I'm always pre-occ'd with Eddie Grant's '82 song, as soon as I even see that street sign.  (Saw him in concert back then in a spring concert in a central park in downtown Roanoke, '83)  It's enamoring to me that Nashv'l even has had such a named street to start.

That street and it's name need to be added to the mayor's protected-properties list.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

I think that the log home has now been demolished, by the way.