Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

The groundbreaking for Cayce Place Apartments will be at 10:30am on Friday, Aug. 21st at 544 Summer Place.  The 68-unit apartment building will be the first construction part of the Envision Cayce Master Plan.   I'm excited to see this area get redeveloped!

This is a great project. I didn't realize it would start this soon.

• Like 1

^^^^  Book shop....people just aren't trying anymore.  ^^^^

Someone had put a Board Game Cafe which I thought was unique enough to work in a place like East Nashville.

disagree.

I often complain to my wife how there isn't a bookstore anywhere on the east side. The closest one, that I know of, is in Rivergate. A bookstore would be a very welcome addition if you ask me. 

• Like 3

disagree.

I often complain to my wife how there isn't a bookstore anywhere on the east side. The closest one, that I know of, is in Rivergate. A bookstore would be a very welcome addition if you ask me. 

...As a degreed librarian, formerly by trade, I have to support the need for more and distributed bookstores. (well I don't just have to, but I do)  Since you brought that up, far more bookstores than existing ─ even for primarily used books ─ would well serve the city and its respective neighborhoods.  Although I myself can't tell you what is where, in terms of book retail, not having ready access to such stores is like being in a "food desert" of the mind.  Not everyone has ready access to technology for or even the desire to read e-books, even if every last printed piece of material were made available on-line.  My personal preference for certain categories of reading material is to be able to visually and manually bookmark, crease, and dog-ear a printed book if I so choose (not to say that e-book readers do not have equivalent provisions), so in this respect I like for some materials to be tactile.  As an IT geekus, I also maintain a sizeable organized collection of references materials in e-formats.

It's amazing what even a bookstore of second-hand printed materials can to to induce activity in a district.
-==-

• Like 1

Holt is closing, 1003 Gallatin

image.jpg

I would go now and then to the Harley Holt Store on Lwr Broad, a century ago, backbewhen Greyhound was at 6th and Commerce, Trailways was on 7th by the Genesco Bldg., snd the Service Merchandise Catalog Retail store was nearby on Broad as well (and had been the only one yet in the whole country).  Pardon me for not knowing, but is the Gallatin Rd store of the same Holt ownership?
-==-

disagree.

Kindle

iPad

We can say we want a bookstore all we want, but there is a reason there aren't more independent bookstores in the United States.  And before everyone furrows their brow about how you prefer real pages and the feel of books over a kindle or ipad, take a moment to appreciate what you are reading this sentence on.

Kindle

iPad

We can say we want a bookstore all we want, but there is a reason there aren't more independent bookstores in the United States.  And before everyone furrows their brow about how you prefer real pages and the feel of books over a kindle or ipad, take a moment to appreciate what you are reading this sentence on.

Not saying we just GOT to have bookstores, but you can't say that there is not a technical divide making reading material not readily available to primarily the po' folks in any particular city district.  Most po' folk aren't going to be owning Kindles or iPads, much less such devices with wireless connectivity. One only had to visit the library at Edgehill or Coleman Park, to get a feel (by observation or by direct engagement) of a sizable sector whose means of access to materials is only by direct checkout or in-house.  Bookstores of any kind, not just those vending new materials, have a long-term impact on a district, even without metrics to directly evaluate it.
-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

I like it. Appropriate scale for the neighborhood and compliments the existing structure. Plus it appears they may intend to keep the mature trees at the site.

It is almost like it is a counterpoint to the schlock HG Hill built in Hillsboro Village.  Zeitlin seems capable of designing good fabric.  Wish they had in the Village.

Edited by Nashville Cliff
clarification