Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

You are correct about that. They are getting ready to start on that project as well. They are still doing core drilling on that side. There will be a lot involved getting the flood wall built too.

My company is delivering some equipment to this site tomorrow, work should be ramping up soon.

Great to hear. I am not overly excited about the design but it's going to be a lot better than what has been at that location for the las three decades.

Or probably four decades or more.  My partner's parents used to own Dino's on Main Street in the early-mid 1970s and sold it to Dino.  His mother also owned a restaurant I believe in the building that houses Mogul's salon or something like that adjacent to where this project is going in.  He said that that spot has always been junk as long as he can remember.

FYI,

Just for all of you on the east side, i am happy to let you know that i will be joining your ranks soon. I am buying my first home in Highland Heights. In case that neighborhood doesn't ring any bells, it's the area just north of Cleveland Park. Roughly bordered by Douglas Ave/Dickerson/Ellington Pkwy/Trinity Ln. 

I will be on Lischey Ave. just a few doors down from Douglas Market. I am really excited about my new home (it's a beautiful Tudor) and getting to know the neighborhood. The area is a little rough around the edges. I will be raising my family there, so i am a little concerned about crime in the area, but i remain optimistic that we have found an area we will love. I plan to join the neighborhood association and help to improve the neighborhood in any way that i can. 

As some of you may (or may not) know, i'm a native Nashvillian, but i've been living in the SF Bay Area the last 5 years. It's good to be back and to finally be buying my first home.

If there is anyone on these boards whom is involved in the community, i would be happy to talk about it. And of course, i'll be keeping my eyes on the area for any new developments on which to report.

Cheers,

Will

Hi, Will!  Welcome to Highland Heights.  You are in Council District 5 and your council representative is Scott Davis.  Highland Heights is going to be a booming area soon.  The massive renovation of the historic Highland Heights school for Kipp Academy is a major boon for your new neighborhood.   Let's hope that you are lucky and get quality infill, unlike the horrendous crap that is going in all over East Nashville.  Your area is probably zoned RS5, and that "S" means that duplexes are not allowed, so you may end up being spared the dreaded umbilical-cord duplex zombie apocalypse that is plaguing the other side of Gallatin but also spreading (mestastasizing) across Gallatin to East Hill.  But some of these wily developers have other, almost-as-hideous things in store for the S-zoned districts.  Stay tuned.

But there are some good projects in your area as well.  There is a 29-unit cottage development going in on a vacant former industrial site at Douglas/Montgomery before you get to the Ellington.   

I am about as involved in the East Nashville community as anybody.  My contact information can be found on the website of my neighborhood association, http://www.eastwoodneighbors.org.  I would love to catch up with you sometime and help you make connections to the neighborhood group in your area.

Brett Withers

Edited by bwithers1

This is the work to be done on the East Bank. Reported by the Post as a 5 million dollar permit.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/2/28/east_bank_redevelopment_starts

This is great. One of the best things Nashville has implemented and carried out so far.  I like the new plaza under the Ghost Ballet.  Maybe this could be a version of our "Chicago Bean."  I know many people probably don't like GB, but with better "access" it could become a quirky favorite of the city.

This is great. One of the best things Nashville has implemented and carried out so far.  I like the new plaza under the Ghost Ballet.  Maybe this could be a version of our "Chicago Bean."  I know many people probably don't like GB, but with better "access" it could become a quirky favorite of the city.

I for one have always enjoyed the GB, and I can't wait for "Sticks" to be installed at the round about either.

• Like 2

5PP is expanding, they will now have a night window where you can walk up and buy slices

They will also have a place for carryout orders so there isn't a mob of people standing around the bar area.  They aren't in a huge hurry.  Their fingers are crossed for opening at Tomato Art Festival (in August).

Edited by CandyAisles

People need to check out Treehouse if they haven't yet.  I probably can't afford it, though.  They only take reservations for parties of 4 our more, but they leave a certain number of seats open for walk-ins.  But when my two friends and I went for a walk-in, the wait time was an hour and a half!  This one looks great.  It's intimate like Eastland Cafe, which is an historic grocery store, but even smaller, since this was a tiny historic cottage.  There is lots of wood in there, but more in the carpentry vein than all of that cliched reclaimed barnwood that is so overdone these days.  I can't wait to see what they do with the actual tree house out back. 

People need to check out Treehouse if they haven't yet.  I probably can't afford it, though.  They only take reservations for parties of 4 our more, but they leave a certain number of seats open for walk-ins.  But when my two friends and I went for a walk-in, the wait time was an hour and a half!  This one looks great.  It's intimate like Eastland Cafe, which is an historic grocery store, but even smaller, since this was a tiny historic cottage.  There is lots of wood in there, but more in the carpentry vein than all of that cliched reclaimed barnwood that is so overdone these days.  I can't wait to see what they do with the actual tree house out back. 

It wasn't very good. Unless I went on an off night, but we went for my birthday and, while it's an interesting concept (home setting with way better food), I wasn't especially fond of the fact that my dish arrived 20 minutes after the rest of my family was finished eating theirs, on a slow night.

It wasn't very good. Unless I went on an off night, but we went for my birthday and, while it's an interesting concept (home setting with way better food), I wasn't especially fond of the fact that my dish arrived 20 minutes after the rest of my family was finished eating theirs, on a slow night.

Wow, I'm glad we didn't wait the 90 minutes to be seated!  Maybe they are still working out some kinks.

In other East Nashville news, lots of permits are being pulled for new check cashing places on Gallatin.  Hooray! 

And Ghot Wings is going to be turned into a cafe or something.  Here's to up-and-coming Renraw (the NADC area.  That is Warner spelled backwards and was the name of Percy Warner's estate on that site). 

Haji's middle eastern restaurant in the former Mapco at Gallatin/Sharpe gets lots of props from my neighbors (I can see it from my house).  Further up Gallatin, HopStop and Mickey's Tavern are the new go-to spots in that Middle East Nashville area near Trinity Lane anchored by Logue's Black Raven Emporium.  Maybe the Amp will extend on up Gallatin with a stop there.  Especially to cater to the new condos going in at Litton Ave, which are marketing themselves with "Five Points" in their name. 

Filling a desperate need there on Gallatin, huh?

Well, the parking lot at the Advance Financial by my house is always packed.  Moreso than the TitleMax, Mo Money Taxes, and the rest.  But apparently there is always room for more.  We are scheduled to get two more check cashing places in the stretch of Gallatin between Eastland and Douglas that I know of at this moment.

Then again, the Hair Worlds are also frequently packed.  The hair extension/weave place next to the Rite Aid has a packed parking lot into the wee hours on Friday and Saturday nights. 

Perhaps the two are related?  Lots of folks desperately need high interest loans to support their hair habit?

• Like 1

Unfortunately the hair worlds have been down the Main St/Gallatin Rd stretch for so long that they have deep followings of people that continue to support them. It's just something that will have to be tolerated as East Nashville continues to progress.
I do wish there would be steps taken to make their building look a little nicer.

My BIGGEST gripe along Main/Gallatin is the building who are using these god awful LED strip lights all over their windows, signs, buildings. I would give anything to see those damn things done away with.

WW has a blog post of a story I gave him. The National Baptists are going to rehabilitate their building on 5th and Spring Street. This is a 2 story building with purple windows that has been at this location for at least 40 years. They indicated they wanted to be good neighbors and have witnessed the fast changes going on in the area.

It is common knowledge in our building now that we are getting a 4-5 story apartment building next to us. EOA is the architect, and Grant Hammond discussed the project during our meeting last Sunday with our HOA at 5th and Main. The apartments will help our property value, along with the Baptists re-doing their building sometime this spring and summer. There is no retail element, but the building will be up to the street. Mark Bloom will not officially say he has sold the vacant property, but we have heard from several real estate agents that he indeed has, or is in the process of doing it. Metro was out a week ago spray painting  and indicating utility lines on the sidewalk in front of the site. The building will be stick frame.

The other property that needs a face lift is the Loaves and Fishes, and the Citgo, however the Citgo is for sale and rumour is an apartment developer wants the entire block where those two businesses sit for a 3-4 story project that would span the block from 5th to 6th. Loaves and Fishes is not part of Holy Name Catholic Church.

There are other lots popping up for sale, including 415 Woodland which is rumoured to be eyed for a large development.

Main Street is going to pop starting this spring and summer. We are excited about the changes!

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 3

I believe there was a master plan for the 5th & Main site that showed buildings east of Yeoman St. that basically looked like the current buildings at 5th & Main.  Sounds like that vision won't be completed.

It is common knowledge in our building now that we are getting a 4-5 story apartment building next to us. EOA is the architect, and Grant Hammond discussed the project during our meeting last Sunday with our HOA at 5th and Main. The apartments will help our property value, along with the Baptists re-doing their building sometime this spring and summer. There is no retail element, but the building will be up to the street. Mark Bloom will not officially say he has sold the vacant property, but we have heard from several real estate agents that he indeed has, or is in the process of doing it. Metro was out a week ago spray painting  and indicating utility lines on the sidewalk in front of the site. The building will be stick frame.

Here's the 5th & Main master plan from a while back.

http://ydworkshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/5m_masterplan-model.jpg

5m_masterplan-model.jpg