Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Will we ever get a 24hr (or atleast latenight 7 days a week) eatery in East Nashville?

Will the diner next to Bongo Java ever get rehabbed?  Does the same family still own it?  That was the rumor I read? heard? imaged?

No immediate plans I am afraid, although the rumor has been floating for a long while.

WW has a blog post of a story I gave him. The National Baptists are going to rehabilitate their building on 5th and Spring Street. This is a 2 story building with purple windows that has been at this location for at least 40 years. They indicated they wanted to be good neighbors and have witnessed the fast changes going on in the area.

It is common knowledge in our building now that we are getting a 4-5 story apartment building next to us. EOA is the architect, and Grant Hammond discussed the project during our meeting last Sunday with our HOA at 5th and Main. The apartments will help our property value, along with the Baptists re-doing their building sometime this spring and summer. There is no retail element, but the building will be up to the street. Mark Bloom will not officially say he has sold the vacant property, but we have heard from several real estate agents that he indeed has, or is in the process of doing it. Metro was out a week ago spray painting  and indicating utility lines on the sidewalk in front of the site. The building will be stick frame.

The other property that needs a face lift is the Loaves and Fishes, and the Citgo, however the Citgo is for sale and rumour is an apartment developer wants the entire block where those two businesses sit for a 3-4 story project that would span the block from 5th to 6th. Loaves and Fishes is not part of Holy Name Catholic Church.

There are other lots popping up for sale, including 415 Woodland which is rumoured to be eyed for a large development.

Main Street is going to pop starting this spring and summer. We are excited about the changes!

I'd love to get some more information on Citgo being for sale ... 

There's always Prince's. . . 

True but Prince's isn't very fast, no matter what time you're trying to dine and it's all the way at the northwest corner of East Nashville and not near any of the major watering holes, unfortunately.

Edited by grilled_cheese

Does anyone know what else is going in the building currently occupied by Fat Bottom Brewery and the Filling Station? There is another portion of that building (next to Fat Bottom and in front of Filling Station) that has "hard hat area" signs and the interior is undergoing work. It looks like it could potentially be two separate spaces that are being worked on actually.

Does anyone know what else is going in the building currently occupied by Fat Bottom Brewery and the Filling Station? There is another portion of that building (next to Fat Bottom and in front of Filling Station) that has "hard hat area" signs and the interior is undergoing work. It looks like it could potentially be two separate spaces that are being worked on actually.

There is a notice on the window of an OSHA workplace violation. They have not touched that space in months.

Ken's Sushi sign has been taken down and moved to the Fatherland Location.

Ken's Sushi sign has been taken down and moved to the Fatherland Location.

Is Ken's moving to Fatherland?  This rumor was floated out there but I was not aware of anything confirming that.

It sounds like the 2nd restaurant space in 1100 Fatherland will be Lynne Lorraine's Smoothie & Juice Bar

http://theeastnashvillian.com/article/in-business-news-

" Powell Design is also working on the build-out of Spark of Life, a new restaurant opening soon at 1100 Fatherland. Owned by Pam Daley, it will feature gluten-free and vegan food, organic wine and gluten-free beer. Hours TBA.

Next door to Spark of Life, Powell Design is also working on Lynne Lorraine’s Juice Bar. Owner Chad Curry hopes to be open by the end of March or early April. The menu includes fruit and vegetable juices, both fresh and grab and go. They will have free Wi-Fi and indoor cafe seating, with outdoor seating available during the warmer months. The name comes from Chad’s mother’s and grandmother’s middle names. Hours will be 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8-2 Saturday, closed Sunday."

I attended the South Inglewood neighborhood association meeting this past Monday to learn more about the new project being proposed for Litton Avenue just off of Gallatin that has the somewhat misleading name of "Five Points." 

The new(ish) owners of the old Litton Apartments are planning a new project to take up that huge grassy area in what is actually the unused front portion of their property.  There will be two buildings, one on either side of the existing driveway, with each building having an L shape so that it comes up to the street/sidewalk on both Litton and the private drive that heads back to the old apartment complex, which has been renovated on the interior but not the exterior and is fully leased.  That private drive will be landscaped like a boulevard. The new complex will be 2 stories tall in some places, 3 stories in others.  The corner units will be like penthouses.  Some units will have balconies. About 130 units total with parking behind the units away from the street.  Smaller units for prices starting in the mid-$100s, I think I recall.  That's a steal for East Nashville!  The South Inglewood neighborhood residents were mostly positive.  I think that this one will have pretty good community support when it appears on the Planning Commission docket later this year, probably late this summer/early Fall.

• Like 1

California investors love Nashville properties. East Nashville building that's home to Barista Parlor changes hands. http://tnne.ws/1lBtX2P

No kidding about California folks buying up East Nashville!  That's why our prices are going so sky high.

That building that you mention was recently rezoned to allow mixed use, although I'm not sure what the new use will be (other than retail) or where.  In addition to the Barista Parlor where the old transmission shop used to be in the back, one of the storefronts where DanceEast used to be is now a business called Fuselage, which is a really neat vintage furniture/decor store very similar to a "Pickers" kind of store.  They have neat stuff and live music (of course).  There is also an art studio/retail space on the Stratton side and I think some additional renovations/leasing going on as well.  That little girls' dress store (Rainbow?) that has been there forever looks really out of place now.  If they put gaudy ladies dresses in the window instead of little girls' JonBenet dresses we would all just think that it is yet another Drag Queen supply store.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Is this another 'Shoney's' Mexican/Latin American restaurant like Las Maracas? Or a more authentic place like Las Americas or El Jaliciense?

Guess you will have to stop by and see if it is authentic enough for you.

The interior design isnt what I would expect to see if I was walking into a mom and pop place in Mexico, but, they are also trying to appeal to the crowd they will be getting in 5 Points.

The food is great and the service will be great as well....the owner/manager, Chuy, has ownership in multiple other area mexican restaurants and takes pride in putting out a good product.

Guess you will have to stop by and see if it is authentic enough for you.

The interior design isnt what I would expect to see if I was walking into a mom and pop place in Mexico, but, they are also trying to appeal to the crowd they will be getting in 5 Points.

The food is great and the service will be great as well....the owner/manager, Chuy, has ownership in multiple other area mexican restaurants and takes pride in putting out a good product.

This one has a fairly muted color scheme on the exterior.  Perhaps WW will approve?  WW's dislike of bright color schemes is well known, which would seem to place a limitation on his patronage of most Mexican restaurants.  This one may be sufficiently earth-toned for William's taste. 

I'm just glad that this one is not another damned pizza joint.  I think that there is yet another one coming to the 11th/Fatherland area.  Good grief!  Riverside Village has one - Castrillo's - which seems about right for that area, where Dan Heller is curating a healthy mix of options.  There is something to be said for variety.  Variety of pizza toppings doesn't count.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Who is WW?  Willard White?

Went to the Five Points Mexi place this afternoon.  Very underwhelmed.  Same menu you'll find anywhere in the city besides a few upscale/lo fi places.  Margarita was exactly the same as every other place.  The only thing that did stand out food wise was the tortilla shells we got with the fajitas, very thick and possibly hand made?  Don't get me wrong, the food was good but nothing you can't find anywhere else in the city.  Interior vibe was pretty nice.  Bar area and specifically the bar was to small and they had too much stuff on the bar taking up space.  Not a place I'd consider going to to grab just a drink.  The patio area looked like it would be nice but it is too small. 

I was really hoping for a mashup between Mas Tacos and Rosepepper.

Who is WW?  Willard White?

Went to the Five Points Mexi place this afternoon.  Very underwhelmed.  Same menu you'll find anywhere in the city besides a few upscale/lo fi places.  Margarita was exactly the same as every other place.  The only thing that did stand out food wise was the tortilla shells we got with the fajitas, very thick and possibly hand made?  Don't get me wrong, the food was good but nothing you can't find anywhere else in the city.  Interior vibe was pretty nice.  Bar area and specifically the bar was to small and they had too much stuff on the bar taking up space.  Not a place I'd consider going to to grab just a drink.  The patio area looked like it would be nice but it is too small. 

I was really hoping for a mashup between Mas Tacos and Rosepepper.

Willard White. I forgot about him. It is actually William Williams at the Nashville Post, aka on the board as East side urbanite.