Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

bwithers should just be declared the mayor of East Nashville. Greedy developers would cower in fear.

Thanks guys for helping a noob ... We're on Fatherland close to 17th

We probably walked right by your place then during our mini-meet/neighborhood walk a couple of weeks ago.

I hear Ken's is not coming to East Nashville at all. Sad news on that.

Nope, but...looks like that building is staying with a new Sushi place moving in:

http://nashville.eater.com/archives/2014/03/24/koi-sushi-thai-now-headed-to-east-nashville.php

Like we spoke about this past Friday, I really thought that building was coming down, looks like I was wrong.

Edited by bhibbs

Nope, but...looks like that building is staying with a new Sushi place moving in:

http://nashville.eater.com/archives/2014/03/24/koi-sushi-thai-now-headed-to-east-nashville.php

Like we spoke about this past Friday, I really thought that building was coming down, looks like I was wrong.

2nd location for this restaurant.  Other one is on 8th, beside the ML Rose.  It's kind of terrible.  

FatherLand:

If you live on Fatherland, you are presently inside Lockeland Springs's Conservation Zoning Overlay.  But quite a bit of Lillian, Boscobel and Shelby in your area are not in the Overlay.  I am attaching the link to the MHZC Design Guidelines document for the Lockeland Springs East End CZO http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/Design%20Guidelines/LSEE%202013.pdf.  This is a lengthy document, but it contains a little bit of history of the neighborhood and a lot of other interesting information.  The map of the current boundaries is on Page 9 I think. 

You should also connect with the Lockeland Springs Neighborhood Association if you haven't done so already.  Their board is presently determining which blocks to include in their Overlay expansion proposal.  Their website can be found here http://www.lockelandsprings.org/.

A quick summary of the types of Overlays that are overseen by the Metro Historic Zoning Commission can be found at this link.  There is a bullet-point summary of the Historic Preservation Districts and Conservation Zoning Overlay Districts  http://www.nashville.gov/Historical-Commission/Services/Preservation-Permits/Districts-and-Design-Guidelines.aspx.  Your district is the latter. 

Bwithers, would you mind pointing me to any resources online that I can read up on to learn more about our neighborhood 'Overlays'? I'm new to this board and am trying to learn more about East Nash zoning and overlays and the ilk as our area grows (...and grows, and grows) I don't really speak the language but feel I need to learn...I read through www.eastwoodneighbors.org for starters...  Thanks guys for helping a noob ... We're on Fatherland close to 17th

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Probably not modernist.  But front-loading garages are not traditional or even urban, and the almost total lack of windows on the lower two floors just makes no sense.  The hight, front-loading garage, and extreme distances without windows would all be violations of CZO design guidelines if one were in place in that part of 12South.  This is going to be an awful building even if they do put up Hardi-board siding and glue on a few faux-craftstman details.  I predict that it will be a rental.

Modernist craputecture.

The approved land use for several properties on that side of Kirkwood is for duplex/condominiums. I believe it's a situation where, because of past land use, that type of construction is grandfathered in. That part of the street is quite homely, mostly because of the NES substation closer to Belmont. If you think that one's bad there's another under construction across the street that is straight out of the Urban Renewal playbook. Awful.

Actually, there are quite a few developers/builders who are very good about voluntarily leaving historic buildings alone and putting up quality new product that blends in well with historic context.  That's the thing:  their stuff blends in!  So the neighbors like it, buyers keep it and visitors don't notice it.  Those developers/builders also tend to have good relationships with the neighborhood groups because they know that when it comes time to request a variance, there will be enough trust that neighbors will consider supporting the variance.

It's the developers/builders who insist on tearing out everything and putting up product that doesn't blend whose projects stand out and get noticed.  Those folks are pretty brazen now but will learn that neighbors will legislate them out of business through zoning if they don't tone it down. 

bwithers should just be declared the mayor of East Nashville. Greedy developers would cower in fear.

That's why I said *greedy* developers. We saw quite a bit of good on our EN tour.

I can see it now, though...developer illegally knocks down an historic home without a permit...Mayor Bret shows up to the developer's office with a wrecking ball of his own.

Don't laugh.  Historic houses certainly have been demolished without permits by property owners who objected to historic preservation.  Evergreen, the circa 1790 home of Dr. Craighead, met a similar fate to make way for the Briley Parkway Home Depot.  There is also such a thing a demolition through neglect.  We will definitely have to watch out for both of those phenomena.

That's why I said *greedy* developers. We saw quite a bit of good on our EN tour.

I can see it now, though...developer illegally knocks down an historic home without a permit...Mayor Bret shows up to the developer's office with a wrecking ball of his own.

Edited by bwithers1

Don't laugh.  Historic houses certainly have been demolished without permits by property owners who objected to historic preservation.  Evergreen, the circa 1790 home of Dr. Craighead, met a similar fate to make way for the Briley Parkway Home Depot.  There is also such a thing a demolition through neglect.  We will definitely have to watch out for both of those phenomena.

Is that what those little log cabins are from, next to the bank?

I ate at Steak & Pizza tonight, amaizng Gyro, go try it.  I drove down the Eastern part of Sharpe Ave, I almost bought a house ther just over a year ago, and there are three new houses down there that weren't there ~6 months ago.   Crazy.

Yes the little log cabins behind the Regions Bank branch at the Briley Parkway Home Depot are just about all that is left from Evergreen.  I am told that there is also a springhouse that remains in its original location and is kind of hidden.  I did get a recent update from Home Depot employees whom I know that Home Depot is finally getting starting on preserving/restoring those cabins. 

Yes. Sadly, that's all that are left over.

The Eastwood Neighbors Conservation Zoning Overlay passed on consent at yesterday's Planning Commission hearing.  Thanks to all of the neighbors who wrote in and came out to the hearing.  As the neighborhood representative, I had written in to request a five minute time-slot to speak on behalf of the neighborhood.  But no opposition showed and so I didn't get a chance to give my speech after all :(

The passage of the Overlay by the Planning Commissioners yesterday means that starting today Codes will flag applications to demolish contributing ("historic") structures inside the proposed boundaries and will refer those applicants to the MHZC.  We can't do anything about the non-historic structures or what will replace them.  Yet.

The third and final public hearing will be before the Metro Council on Tuesday, April 1st.  If this item passes that hearing, it will be brought up for third reading on April 15th.

• Like 2

The Eastwood Neighbors Conservation Zoning Overlay passed on consent at yesterday's Planning Commission hearing.  Thanks to all of the neighbors who wrote in and came out to the hearing.  As the neighborhood representative, I had written in to request a five minute time-slot to speak on behalf of the neighborhood.  But no opposition showed and so I didn't get a chance to give my speech after all :(

The passage of the Overlay by the Planning Commissioners yesterday means that starting today Codes will flag applications to demolish contributing ("historic") structures inside the proposed boundaries and will refer those applicants to the MHZC.  We can't do anything about the non-historic structures or what will replace them.  Yet.

The third and final public hearing will be before the Metro Council on Tuesday, April 1st.  If this item passes that hearing, it will be brought up for third reading on April 15th.

I had no doubt it would pass after looking at the Staff reports. Great job and effort on your part Bret.

Was over in East Nashville having a meal at The Family Wash and went back a different way by Riverside Village. We were over there during the East Nashville mini meet and we noticed how bad they needed sidewalks there. Well, the sidewalks are being installed now. Great news for the area.

• Like 1

Was over in East Nashville having a meal at The Family Wash and went back a different way by Riverside Village. We were over there during the East Nashville mini meet and we noticed how bad they needed sidewalks there. Well, the sidewalks are being installed now. Great news for the area.

anyone know what is going to happen to the vacated Michells Deli spot?

Great to hear. Your hard work is definitely appreciated in the matter. Let's hope it passes the next time around. 

In the meantime, my question is do the developers have the right before this passes to knock down as much as they want, or is there a moratorium until the matter is settled?

Also, feel free to give your speech at the next forum meet!

For others, like myself, who don't have as much indepth and hands on info about historic overlays - here is is the wiki article for 'Historic Overlay District."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_overlay_district

Edit:  And for the craft beer lovers, the Quick Sak in Inglewood (near Kroger) has recently started selling a great variety of local and national craft brews.  So glad I don't have to schlep down to Five Points for my craft beer shopping needs.

Edited by grilled_cheese

For others, like myself, who don't have as much indepth and hands on info about historic overlays - here is is the wiki article for 'Historic Overlay District."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_overlay_district

Edit:  And for the craft beer lovers, the Quick Sak in Inglewood (near Kroger) has recently started selling a great variety of local and national craft brews.  So glad I don't have to schlep down to Five Points for my craft beer shopping needs.

I like to hear this, GCheese.

WW