Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

I don't want to post the answer to that question on this forum.  Too many builders read this site.  Let them do their own homework with Codes and the MHZC.  It is not my business to go highlighting to them which buildings they can demo or not or what their dealines are. 

In the meantime, my question is do the developers have the right before this passes to knock down as much as they want, or is there a moratorium until the matter is settled?

Also, feel free to give your speech at the next forum meet!

Ask and you shall receive.  Sorry for the all-caps formatting.  I am blind so I type my speeches in all caps double-spaced.

GOOD AFTERNOON COMMISSIONERS:

MY NAME IS BRETT WITHERS AND I LIVE AT 1113 GRANADA AVENUE IN EASTWOOD. I AM CURRENTLY SERVING IN MY FIFTH CONSECUTIVE YEAR AS THE PRESIDENT OF EASTWOOD NEIGHBORS. THANK YOU FOR GRANTING US YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION THIS AFTERNOON.

EASTWOOD NEIGHBORS COMES BEFORE YOU TODAY TO REQUEST THAT YOU SUPPORT THE CLEARLY EXPRESSED WILL OF THE MAJORITY OF PROPERTY OWNERS TO EXPAND OUR NEIGHBORHOOD'S CONSERVATION ZONING OVERLAY TO INCLUDE ALL PROPERTIES WITHIN THE PROPOSED NEW BOUNDARIES.

IT IS NO SECRET THAT DEMAND FOR THE INNER-CORE HISTORIC URBAN NEIGHBORHOODS LIKE EASTWOOD HAS RISEN EXPONENTIALLY OF LATE. BUT INSENSITIVE DEMOLITIONS AND INAPPROPRIATE INFILL ARE NOW DESTROYING THE VERY HISTORIC STRUCTURES THAT ARE EARNING OUR NEIGHBORHOODS NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL ATTENTION IN THE FIRST PLACE. A RECENT NEW YORK TIMES LISTING OF "52 PLACES TO GO IN 2014" RANKED NASHVILLE AT NUMBER 15 OUT OF ALL PLACES ON EARTH AND SPECIFICALLY CITED 12SOUTH AND EAST NASHVILLE AS PLACES TO VISIT. IN EASTWOOD, PLACING INTERNATIONALLY-ACCLAIMED RESTAURANTS NEXT TO UNPROTECTED 100-YEAR-OLD HOUSES IS PROVING TO BE A RECIPE FOR DISASTER. IF WE DO NOT ACT SOON, THERE WILL BE LITTLE HISTORIC CONTEXT LEFT WORTH VISITING.

MANY OF THE HISTORIC STRUCTURES THAT OUR NEIGHBORHOOD IS REQUESTING TO PROTECT TODAY ARE MORE THAN JUST OLD HOUSES. RATHER, THEY EMBODY THE HISTORY OF OUR CITY'S GROWTH AND EXPANSION IN THE LATE NINETEENTH AND EARLY TWENTIETH CENTURY. THE EARLIEST PLAT RECORDING FOR WHAT IS TODAY EASTWOOD WAS FILED BY THE WEAKLEY FAMILY IN 1855, WHO NAMED THEIR COMMUNITY BROWNSVILLE. BUT THE EASTWOOD OR BROWNSVILLE AREA REMAINED RURUAL UNTIL IT EMERGED IN THE 1890S AS A STREETCAR SUBURB JUST PAST THE CITY LIMITS. MANY OF THE PROPERTIES IN THE 1100 BLOCKS SERVED INDIVIDUALS WHO TOOK THE GALLATIN ROAD STREETCAR TO WORK DOWNTOWN. MANY OF THE HOUSES FRONTING OR NEAR PORTER ALSO ATTRACTED USERS OF THE EASTLAND STREETCAR LINE, WHICH TURNED ON PORTER. STILL OTHER PROPERTIES IN THE INTERIOR OF THIS AREA WERE ORIGINALLY FARMHOUSES OR ESTATE HOMES WHOSE LANDS WERE LATER SUBDIVIDED AS THE STREETCAR USING POPULATION GREW. THE 1927 SANBORN FIRE INSURANCE MAP SHOWS THAT EASTWOOD WAS ALMOST TOTALLY BUILT OUT AT THAT TIME. SO MANY OF THESE HOMES HAVE SURVIVED NOT ONLY THE 1998 TORNADO, BUT EVEN THE 1933 TORNADO. BUT NOW THEIR GREATEST THREAT IS OF HUMAN MAKING.

IF CONSERVATION ZONING OVERLAYS WERE NOT WORTHWHILE, THERE WOULD BE LITTLE SUPPORT FOR THEM. BUT EASTWOOD IS ALREADY THE SECOND NEIGHBORHOOD TO COME BEFORE THIS BODY SO FAR IN 2014 SEEKING AN EXPANSION. EASTWOOD'S PRESENT OVERLAY BOUNDARIES CAN BEST BE DESCRIBED AS PIECEMEAL. OUR NEIGHBORHOOD HAS EXPERIMENTED WITH SPLITTING BLOCKS AND HAVING ONE HOUSE IN AND THE NEXT HOUSE OUT OF THE OVERLAY SINCE OUR LAST CZO EXPANSION IN 2007. THAT SITUATION HAS GENERATED CONFUSION BOTH FOR INDIVIDUAL PROPERTY OWNERS AND FOR THE DEVELOPMENT COMMUNITY. THAT EXPERIMENT HAS FAILED. BUT THE PROPOSED BOUNDARIES, WHICH ARE CONSISTENT ACROSS BLOCK FACES, WILL RESOLVE MANY OF THOSE DISCREPANCIES.

AGAIN, EASTWOOD NEIGHBORS HAS HEARD PROPERTY OWNER REQUESTS TO EXPAND OUR CZO FOR ALL FIVE YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN PRESIDENT OF EASTWOOD NEIGHBORS. THIS CONVERSATION PREDATES THE RISE OF UMBILICAL-CORD DUPLEXES, ALTHOUGH THAT TREND HAS CERTAINLY INCREASED THOSE CALLS. UNFORTUNATELY, THE MHZC WAS TOO SHORT STAFFED TO ACCOMMODATE ANY EXPANSION REQUESTS FOR SEVERAL YEARS. THANKFULLY, THE METRO COUNCIL ADDED A MHC STAFF POSITION THIS FISCAL YEAR TO ENABLE THESE CONVERSATIONS TO CONTINUE IN SOME OF OUR NEIGHBORHOODS.

COUNCILMAN PETER WESTERHOLM'S LETTER TO YOU AND THE PLANNING DEPARTMENT STAFF NOTES DESCRIBE HOW OUR NEIGHBORHOOD ADVERTISED OUR INFORMATION SESSIONS AND REACHED OUT TO AS MANY PROPERTY OWNERS AS POSSIBLE OVER THE LAST SEVERAL MONTHS IN ORDER TO DETERMINE WHICH AREAS HAD MAJORITY PROPERTY OWNER SUPPORT FOR EXPANDING THE CZO. THE FINAL SURVEY RESULTS WERE ANALYZED FOR COUNCILMAN WESTERHOLM'S REVIEW. THE PERCENTAGE OF PROPERTY OWNER SUPPORT EXPRESSED WAS OVERWHELMING. BUT SOME PROPERTY OWNERS WERE OPPOSED AND COUNCILMAN WESTERHOLM HAS ALREADY TAKEN THOSE RESPONSES INTO ACCOUNT IN SHAPING THE PROPOSED BOUNDARIES. OUR SURVEY RESULTS SHOWED TWO BLOCKS WHERE THE MAJORITY OF PROPERTY OWNERS OPPOSED EXPANSION. THOSE TWO BLOCKS HAVE ALREADY BEEN EXCLUDED FROM THESE BOUNDARIES.

IN SUMMARY, I ASK THE COMMISSIONERS TO APPROVE EASTWOOD NEIGHBORS' CZO EXANSION REQUEST TO INCLUDE ALL PROPERTIES IN THE PROPOSED BOUNDARIES. OUR SURVEY PROCESS WAS FAIR AND WELL ADVERTISED AND REFLECTS THE WILL OF THE MAJORITY OF OUR PROPERTY OWNERS. THANK YOU.

• Like 2

Edit:  And for the craft beer lovers, the Quick Sak in Inglewood (near Kroger) has recently started selling a great variety of local and national craft brews.  So glad I don't have to schlep down to Five Points for my craft beer shopping needs.

FYI: The newly opened Hop Stop on Gallatin @ Trinity offers growlers of a number of craft brews.

Edited by Rockatansky

Phase III of Walden to start by the end of the year. The article will come from behind the pay wall at some point.

This will sit in the corner where the old home is. One floor retail and two floors apartments.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/3/31/end_of_year_start_eyed_for_next_phase_of_east_sides_walden

Local Taco is coming to the new Martin Corner development at 11th/Fatherland.  These are the same owners as the one on Murphy Road in Sylvan Park.  I think that this will be a great addition, particularly since Five Points lost our dearly departed Nuvo Burrito.

Competition for 5 Points Cojina Mexicana already. However, the last time I was at Loco Taco, it was expensive and everything was Ala' A Carte. Even Chips and Salsa was around $4.

Eh, I don't think it's too outrageous.  Actually got some to-go from there last night and it was only $15 for two people.  More expensive than a Charlotte Pike Taco truck, sure.  Looking forward to a location closer to my hood.  

Competition for 5 Points Cojina Mexicana already. However, the last time I was at Loco Taco, it was expensive and everything was Ala' A Carte. Even Chips and Salsa was around $4.

I went to the Local Taco in Sylvan Heights when I first moved back to Nashville on a rec from a friend. I found it slightly overpriced and the tacos kind of dinky for what they cost. I didn't see what the fuss was about. Maybe I will give them another shot at the new location. 

FYI: The newly opened Hop Stop on Gallatin @ Trinity offers growlers of a number of craft brews.

Haven't been in there since they first opened.  Selection was limited and they offered some local stuff that I could already get.  Also, I only have one growler so it limits how much I can get at a time.

Haven't been in there since they first opened.  Selection was limited and they offered some local stuff that I could already get.  Also, I only have one growler so it limits how much I can get at a time.

They are the only place that I know of in Nashville that offer Sprecher Hard Root Beer on tap and I go there just for that because it is damn delicious.

The former Meridian Cafe at the corner of Douglas & Meridian (Cleveland Park/Highland Heights) is being prepped for a remodel. I spoke with someone outside who was doing some work and they said it will be a laundromat & cafe. It's possible it will be a plain old laundromat, but I'm hoping it's something pretty good. This strip of Douglas has quite a few dilapidated commercial buildings and I think it is prime for development. Would love to see a coffee shop go in somewhere.

Edited by nashvillwill

That's what I mean.  Sweet 16th has been there at 16th/Ordway for many years, and there has been a succession of bakeries in Porter East for several years.  As soon as one bakery closes, another one leases that space in Porter East because it has bakery equipment already in place (Almond Tree, then Foxy Bakery, Creative Crumbs now, plus Khan's Desserts in another spot in Porter East).  Then there is Bagel Face bakery (bagels), which relocated from Riverside Village to Main Street, and Yeast Nashville and the other one on Woodland. 

I won't complain, though. 

Everyone wants a coffee shop and a corner bakery (not the chain, they want an actual bakery on an actual corner) in their part of East Nashville these days.

I love the Kolaches at Yeast Nashville!