Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

I still don't know what you mean by tarnished. Please clarify. If you mean Gentrification, then yes I agree. I am struggling with your terms of de-evolution and tarnished.

NPR had a segment last week about gentrification. It's happening all over the country, so it will happen in East Nashville as well. I still would like clarification on the terms you used.

(My comment on the 1979 Chevy was tongue and cheek. It was not meant to be serious.)

Gentrification is the issue but I feel like it's on a whole 'nother level.  The energetic/enthusiastic people of Nashville (who have made East Nashville "cool") can no longer afford living in East Nashville.  Take the Amplify project.  What about that project specifically speaks to East Nashville apart from being enthusiastic about public transit?  One used to be able to go to a restaurant in 5 Points, sit down, and get something to eat (and order a beer).  Maybe I'm just bitter that the idea of having a reservation at Batter'd and Fried is revolting to me.

• Like 2

Gentrification is the issue but I feel like it's on a whole 'nother level.  The energetic/enthusiastic people of Nashville (who have made East Nashville "cool") can no longer afford living in East Nashville.  Take the Amplify project.  What about that project specifically speaks to East Nashville apart from being enthusiastic about public transit?  One used to be able to go to a restaurant in 5 Points, sit down, and get something to eat (and order a beer).  Maybe I'm just bitter that the idea of having a reservation at Batter'd and Fried is revolting to me.

I will agree it's getting expensive. Had my wife and I not got a phenomenal deal in 5th and Main, we would still be in Bellevue. I noticed at the Tomato Arts Festival it was more about "selling" rather than just "being." I understand  a bit of what you mean. The true Bohemians are going to become a rarity in the area.

Here is a bit of news for the parcel John was telling us about. The location will be 949 Main St. and to include 38 condos and a 5,000-square-foot retail/office space.

The great news is that Nashville-based Quirk Designs is serving as architect. They have done a lot of quality work.

Here is their website:

http://www.quirkdesignstn.com/

This is the article once it comes off the pay wall.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/1/24/mixed_use_project_targeted_for_east_sides_main_street

Here is a bit of news for the parcel John was telling us about. The location will be 949 Main St. and to include 38 condos and a 5,000-square-foot retail/office space.

The great news is that Nashville-based Quirk Designs is serving as architect. They have done a lot of quality work.

Here is their website:

http://www.quirkdesignstn.com/

This is the article once it comes off the pay wall.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/1/24/mixed_use_project_targeted_for_east_sides_main_street

Thanks Ron. I removed the post because WW was getting the story. Although I told him ahead of time, I wanted to be sure there was no conflict.

Meeting on the 5 Points Redevelopment District met last night.  Sounds like there is going to be a follow up meeting.  Long story short, the overlay isn't going anywhere since it is amendable.  There seems to be some outdated pieces of the plan that don't make any sense (conceived in 1989 so it may be in need of some tweaking).

Meeting on the 5 Points Redevelopment District met last night.  Sounds like there is going to be a follow up meeting.  Long story short, the overlay isn't going anywhere since it is amendable.  There seems to be some outdated pieces of the plan that don't make any sense (conceived in 1989 so it may be in need of some tweaking).

I am sure that is a short term blow to the residents. Seems as if Metro needs to do itself a favor and rethink a lot of issues. I think they may need to take a look at the entire core of the city.

In a related note, one thing they need to do is limit MDHA's authority in a lot of areas of Metro too. Way too much power and say-so.

I feel as if the trend of labeling East Nashville as unaffordable has gotten out of hand. Sure, if you want to live within walking distance of 5-Points you're going to pay a premium for it - but that's been true for over a decade now. On the other hand, houses in Cleveland Park and East Hill are priced quite reasonably, with many/most still under $150k and a few under $100k. Considering the the average price of a home in TN is around $165k, the East is still quite affordable. 

• Like 3

I feel as if the trend of labeling East Nashville as unaffordable has gotten out of hand. Sure, if you want to live within walking distance of 5-Points you're going to pay a premium for it - but that's been true for over a decade now. On the other hand, houses in Cleveland Park and East Hill are priced quite reasonably, with many/most still under $150k and a few under $100k. Considering the the average price of a home in TN is around $165k, the East is still quite affordable. 

Totally agree! The East Side is NOT the Gulch or Germantown with everything being outrageously priced. East Nashville is still very much mixed income, and will be for years to come. The new apartments at 715 Woodland are going to start around $650-800 a month. Most in the $1000 range, but for someone making $25,000, they can live in East Nashville. Many are making well below that and they can have a decent quality of life in East Nashville. Cannot say that about The Gulch or Germantown.

Totally agree! The East Side is NOT the Gulch or Germantown with everything being outrageously priced. East Nashville is still very much mixed income, and will be for years to come. The new apartments at 715 Woodland are going to start around $650-800 a month. Most in the $1000 range, but for someone making $25,000, they can live in East Nashville. Many are making well below that and they can have a decent quality of life in East Nashville. Cannot say that about The Gulch or Germantown.

That's good to hear.  It would/will be a shame for places to get too out of hand price wise.  I am sure there are other places (the Nations, Woodbine, etc) with similar features.  However, Eastnasty has (and has had) the jump for several years now.  Need some affordable living too!

The term "East Nasty" makes my skin crawl...huge pet peeve of mine

My pet peeve is when people call Nashville "Nash Vegas."  First of all, the two cities really have very little in common.  But the main reason it irritates me is because it makes it seem as though people's ultimate wish is for Nashville to not be Nashville at all.  Perhaps I'm taking it too literally, but Nashville has more than enough going for it to stand on it's own.  It doesn't need to make people think of a rival city in order for them to see it in a favorable light. 

My pet peeve is when people call Nashville "Nash Vegas."  First of all, the two cities really have very little in common.  But the main reason it irritates me is because it makes it seem as though people's ultimate wish is for Nashville to not be Nashville at all.  Perhaps I'm taking it too literally, but Nashville has more than enough going for it to stand on it's own.  It doesn't need to make people think of a rival city in order for them to see it in a favorable light. 

Vegas = Ville

Nothing to do with comparing cities or wanting to be like them.  Same goes for Knox Vegas, etc.  Just a term, slang.

Also, the former Mrs. Winners on Gallatin that was going to be a new Jets Pizza, supposedly with a beer garden, is on hold or cancelled.  The owner of the Jets Pizza locations recently purchased Feast, which used to be Germantown Cafe East, in the 5th/Main building.  Word on the street is that he is putting his time and attention into Feast and will not focus on the Jets pizza for now. I'm not sure what will happen with that building unless everyone's dream comes true and the city declares imminent domain to demolish it for the Civic Oval in front of the library. 

Has there been any new information shared about the future of this site?  Seems like it has just been sitting empty for years. 

And what about the Feast/Germantown East location?  Seems like a sports bar was slated to open.  Maybe it did, but doesn't seem like it from the street.   

Also, when is projected opening of mexican restaurant across from Hunter's?  And what is latest on Ken's Sushi? 

And... just kidding. 

Has there been any new information shared about the future of this site?  Seems like it has just been sitting empty for years. 

And what about the Feast/Germantown East location?  Seems like a sports bar was slated to open.  Maybe it did, but doesn't seem like it from the street.   

Also, when is projected opening of mexican restaurant across from Hunter's?  And what is latest on Ken's Sushi? 

And... just kidding. 

Mexican restaurant is about a month away, they are putting finishing touches on now....hopefully it lives up to my expectations.

Saw the East Branch Library mentioned above. I finally stopped in there a few weeks ago after living in the neighborhood for about a year. Have been admiring the architecture every time I drive by. I was pretty disappointed that the branch is not really very much of a "library" that the magnificent exterior would seem to indicate. The available material is much much less than I would have thought for a decent sized building. It seems like it serves mainly as an after school day care for the schools across the street. Mostly computers and hang out space. It may better serve the neighborhood that way but I had envisioned an old fashioned dimly lit library with lots of books and furniture for reading on. 

Obviously you can have any book in the system transferred there for pickup which is great but I was hoping it would be a place to go do some quiet reading but it doesn't look like it is really meant for that purpose at all.