Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Yeah, to be clear, Gym 5 is still open and operating.  Let's not spread rumors of business closings.

Well, I thought it was still open, but when I put the address into google maps it put the flag on that building.   Anyway, I'm glad to see new development on a vacant lot rather than replacing existing buildings with good tenants.   

I recalled that this place was going to be called "East Side Hive". I found this post from 8/7/12. The attachments do not open but there is a small thumbnail view in the link. Not sure if this is what is going in there now though.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/east-nashville/N2bQHrcX1NM

"The East Side Hive is a 15 unit business / retail centre, preparing for construction, located at 949 main st. nashville tn 37206 . We are offering a unique property with lots of open green gathering space for tenants and their customers and quests . 

The Hive has many free standing buildings all with private rest rooms , climate control, 16ft - 10 ft ceilings, curb side parking and an additional 24 parking space on property . Base rents are frozen for a 5 year period .We are accepting some 1 year leases .You all know main street has a 19,000 car traffic count and for the businesses that need the high traffic exposure.  the front line buildings facing main street can be chosen . You can see out sign . we are across the street from gym 5 ."
Edited by TnNative

MDHA is hosting an East Nashville Community Meeting to discuss the Five Points Redevelopment Plan.  Monday, January 27 in the East Park Community Center at 5:00PM.  I assume this has to do with March Egerton's desire to tweak a few things regarding the district plans.  I, for one, am a bit weary of this.  Doesn't this plan expire in a few years anyways?  If I see a Starbucks on Main Street because of this, I'll hit people.

The vintage clothing store and antique stores do very well in the Five Points Area. Our concern is the empty lots, abandoned buildings, Hunters Custom Automotive, and other car shops that are ragged and unattractive.

I can see concerns over everything but Hunters.

They are just as much a part of that area as anyone is, they are great ambassadors to that area and keep both of their properties looking very acceptable.

• Like 2

Agreed.  The Hunters property might not be the most attractive around, but it is exactly the type of organic, home-grown, independent, family-run business that helps to make East Nashville unique, and makes it exactly what it is.  If the neighborhood starts running businesses like that out in favor of artisan cheese shops and the like (not that there is anything wrong with artisan cheese shops lol), due to concerns over 'image', then East Nashville would be evolving (or devolving) into the antithesis of the inclusive, eclectic, creative vibe that really put them on the map over the past few years as one of the "it" neighborhoods not just in Nashville, but in the country. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

I feel East Nashville is already going through its de-volution.  Thankfully 5th and Main (falsely) scared people into thinking the neighborhood isn't ready for bigger development.  Bad development has been delayed because of it, but it's starting to creep back in some places.  (I like 5th and Main as a development, fwiw).

I know there is talk of a conservation overlay to stop non neighborhood conforming structures from being built.

WSMV

www.wsmv.com/story/24524481/east-nashville-neighbors-concerned-new-homes-losing-charm

Thanks for posting, Ron.  This is Eastwood, my neighborhood, and the Conservation Zoning Overlay that many neighbors are hoping to pass to preserve our historic buildings and place design guidelines on the new buildings.  This is the one where I and others have been surveying property owners for almost two months now.  I am quick to point out that we are not conducting a petition drive:  we are surveying property owners and they can indicate Would Support, Would Not Support, Have No Opinion, or Would Like More Information about the Overlay.  And nowhere in our materials or in our survey script do we mention Umbilical Cord Duplexes.  This is an educational campaign about the Conservation Zoning Overlay and people can decide if it is for them or not, and we will go with the majority opinion.

I would love to get some Germantown-style townhomes going in to replace non-historic homes rather than the crap that is going in now.  Neighbors are having informal polling on Ugliest Umbilical, and right now the one on my street, Granada, is winning.  Each successive one gets worse.  Even CM Charlie Tygard is appalled, and he is pro-business.  I have signatures and e-mails of support for our Overlay from several local business people who are no fans of regulation.  But sadly, it has come to this!

By the way:  Germantown is in a more strict Overlay than what we have in Eastwood and they are growing like a weed.  I don't buy the argument that design guidelines and regulations prevent growth.  They prevent bad growth.

One thing to clarify with regard to Gallatin Road:  This Conservation Zoning Overlay is for the residential interior of my neighborhood, not Gallatin Road.  Gallatin Road has its own Urban Design Overlay.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

I admire that they have been there for decades, but the East Nashville demographic rides bikes, walks, and rides scooters. They don't put $2000 22 or 24's on their 1979 Chevy Malibu.

I'd have to say that there is still a part of the demographic in East Nashville that likes to throw deuce-dubs on the box Chevy.  Just because the folks you chill with at 5Th&M don't, doesn't mean all the boys form James Cayce don't wanna ride big.  Maybe you're thinking about what you'd like the demographics to be in the future.

I admire your passion for urban development but I have a hard time deciphering exactly what it is that you want Nashville to look like.  If you remove a lot of the things that you don't like or agree with then Nashville would cease to exist.  Its like on one hand you seem to have a disdain for yuppies and wealthy people but on the other hand you don't like cheap hotels.  Yuppies and wealthy people are the exact patrons of the high end hotels you hope they build.  Again I admire your passion but it just seems like much of the things you'd like to see in Nashville are very contradictory of each other.  What is your over all vision for the city?

I'm part outdoorsman part yuppie, so the yuppie side of me becomes confused when people bash yuppies on the UP.  I wonder if this is indeed a place where people from all walks are welcome or is it a place where people think everyone should conform to their particular way of life.  Kinda of like the lady that was mad about yuppies moving into her hood so she moved to another hood.  Does she ever stop to think that the people in the new hood she's pioneering might feel the same way about her?

• Like 4

Pardon, if i am a bit offended, but Main Street will evolve to one of the most important and economically vibrant streets in the city.

De-Evolving, I say not. If some of the older locals cannot keep up with the changing city scape, then they are free to move. They could have improved the area themselves rather than waiting for  "Big Bad Development" to come in!

I meant to say that East Nashville's character is being tarnished over the past few years.  Main Street is doing well.

I wonder if this is indeed a place where people from all walks are welcome or is it a place where people think everyone should conform to their particular way of life. 

This is the main reason I stopped posting a few years back...and a main reason I'm thinking about just going back to lurking.  Some get so bent out of shape if you don't see things their way.

• Like 2

I'd have to say that there is still a part of the demographic in East Nashville that likes to throw deuce-dubs on the box Chevy.  Just because the folks you chill with at 5Th&M don't, doesn't mean all the boys form James Cayce don't wanna ride big.  Maybe you're thinking about what you'd like the demographics to be in the future.

Agreed 100%

As someone who was raised in East Nashville/Inglewood I somewhat take offense to your (urban arch.) image of what the area truely is. Yes it has evolved and become a much better place to live, but, there is still a large minority of families who have lived there for decades and supported the locally owned business who have long been in that area. To discredit this demographic would be to marginalize these people.

Sure Hunters may not have the most attractive signage, but, they genuinely care about the area and should be looked upon as great neighbors to 5points and East Nashville as a whole.

As for walking/biking/and scooters....it's not like there is a lack of places that support them in the area...hell, my dad owns the only independently run "scooter only" shop in Nashville.

Edited by bhibbs
  • Like 2

I meant to say that East Nashville's character is being tarnished over the past few years.  Main Street is doing well.

I still don't know what you mean by tarnished. Please clarify. If you mean Gentrification, then yes I agree. I am struggling with your terms of de-evolution and tarnished.

NPR had a segment last week about gentrification. It's happening all over the country, so it will happen in East Nashville as well. I still would like clarification on the terms you used.

(My comment on the 1979 Chevy was tongue and cheek. It was not meant to be serious.)