Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

The new building at Fatherland and 11th is coming along.  There is a sign up for Spark, a vegan cafe.

image from their website:

http://www.sparkoflifecafe.com/

restaurant-exterior-sketch.png

Does anyone know about the other stores moving in there?

They also knocked down the house immediately behind on 11th between Fatherland and Lillian, is that lot part of this development or unrelated?

Also further up 11th toward 5points a single family house immediately behind the Russell/10th development was also demo'd.  Anyone know what will happen at that site?  It's right next to 2 lots that were recently renovated to upscale single unit mixed use on 11th.

Saw the East Branch Library mentioned above. I finally stopped in there a few weeks ago after living in the neighborhood for about a year. Have been admiring the architecture every time I drive by. I was pretty disappointed that the branch is not really very much of a "library" that the magnificent exterior would seem to indicate. The available material is much much less than I would have thought for a decent sized building. It seems like it serves mainly as an after school day care for the schools across the street. Mostly computers and hang out space. It may better serve the neighborhood that way but I had envisioned an old fashioned dimly lit library with lots of books and furniture for reading on. 

Obviously you can have any book in the system transferred there for pickup which is great but I was hoping it would be a place to go do some quiet reading but it doesn't look like it is really meant for that purpose at all.

This is a small neighborhood library.  We have 2 little kids and walk there often.  There are more than enough books for kids there and as you said you can have any book transferred there.  When I'm looking for a quiet place to just sit and read I walk down the street to Bongo Java.

The new building at Fatherland and 11th is coming along.  There is a sign up for Spark, a vegan cafe.

image from their website:

http://www.sparkoflifecafe.com/

restaurant-exterior-sketch.png

Does anyone know about the other stores moving in there?

They also knocked down the house immediately behind on 11th between Fatherland and Lillian, is that lot part of this development or unrelated?

Also further up 11th toward 5points a single family house immediately behind the Russell/10th development was also demo'd.  Anyone know what will happen at that site?  It's right next to 2 lots that were recently renovated to upscale single unit mixed use on 11th.

I know Thrive and Nancy B. Goods are moving from the Shoppes on Fatherland development over to this one.  As for the restaurant space, since Nuvo Burrito is a "no-go", it looks like the other space is available.  I'd like to see a place where one could get a beer on draught (can't believe I'm saying that).

My pet peeve is when people call Nashville "Nash Vegas."  First of all, the two cities really have very little in common.  But the main reason it irritates me is because it makes it seem as though people's ultimate wish is for Nashville to not be Nashville at all.  Perhaps I'm taking it too literally, but Nashville has more than enough going for it to stand on it's own.  It doesn't need to make people think of a rival city in order for them to see it in a favorable light. 

I think it was originally a reference to the signage on Lower Broadway.  First time I saw it used was several years ago in a Hatch Show print.  Oh, and East Nasty for Life!

Vegas = Ville

Nothing to do with comparing cities or wanting to be like them.  Same goes for Knox Vegas, etc.  Just a term, slang.

I've even heard that extended to Clarksville. It doesn't seem to work as well for Louisville or Jacksonville.

It's definitely tongue-in-cheek, but with the original application to Nashville's entertainment district (bright lights, lots of people/activity), I can see it being appropriate. It never made as much sense with Knoxville (and most especially Clarksville).

Of course, Nashvegas has a better ring to it than the popular late 90s Nashlanta.

Unwarranted and ridiculous! Atlanta in size and growth is 30-40 years ahead of Nashville. Atlanta MSA is 4.5 million. They have at least 100 towers over 300 feet. We have 12.

It was more about sprawl and growth rates, not towers, John. 

Unchecked suburban growth and falling far behind in road/transit infrastructure = "becoming like Atlanta". No one would argue that you could compare the cities as they stand today. It's apples to oranges. I think the discussion started because people saw what a mess Atlanta was becoming (in terms of traffic, primarily), and they did not want to see us follow a similar path (though in reality, we haven't strayed much).

But this is getting way off topic. Back to East Nashvegas discussion. :offtopic:

• Like 1

But this is getting way off topic. Back to East Nashvegas discussion. :offtopic:

NashVegas, Viva NashVegas & VivaNashVegas-Eat More Rhinestones are all registered trademarks of George Hamilton V and, I believe, date back to the 1990s.  My first memory of merchandise bearing those slogans (bumper stickers and posters, etc) are from that era when Hillsboro Hardware in Hillsboro Village was more popular for its use as a music venue than for its selection of nuts and bolts...although some might argue that there were plenty of nuts on stage and in the audience.  :shades:   Hillsboro Hardware is no longer around as either a hardware vendor OR a music venue, if memory serves me correctly.

http://www.vivanashvegas.com/vnvstore.htm

The house at 204 South 11th in Five Points was approved for demolition by the Metro Historic Zoning Commission at their December 2013 hearing.  The applicant brought forth an economic hardship case for repair costs and the Commissioners approved that application.  I have pasted a link to the docket here  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2013%20Meetings/12%20December/SR%20204%20S%2011th%20St%20final.pdf.  No word yet on what will go in its place.  But whatever it is will also have to have MHZC review for compliance with the Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation Zoning Overlay design guidelines.

The house behind the 1100 Fatherland building likely was non-contributing to the district and so its demolition could have been approved administratively.  But again, whatever goes in its place will have MHZC review, as did the 1100 Fatherland complex.

Hillsboro Hardware IS still in business (but not in the core of Hillsboro Village--maybe I'm mistaken that it was ever located there) and the Viva NashVegas shows are now at a hardware store in Franklin.  (I know this is off topic, but I wanted to correct/update my post from last night)

I've even heard that extended to Clarksville. It doesn't seem to work as well for Louisville or Jacksonville.

It's definitely tongue-in-cheek, but with the original application to Nashville's entertainment district (bright lights, lots of people/activity), I can see it being appropriate. It never made as much sense with Knoxville (and most especially Clarksville).

Of course, Nashvegas has a better ring to it than the popular late 90s Nashlanta.

Yeah, I have heard Clark Vegas too.  Weird how you don't hear other 'Villes with the jokingly Vegas names.

Hillsboro Hardware IS still in business (but not in the core of Hillsboro Village--maybe I'm mistaken that it was ever located there) and the Viva NashVegas shows are now at a hardware store in Franklin.  (I know this is off topic, but I wanted to correct/update my post from last night)

Interesting. I did not realize it actually had some connections or relevance to the actual city "being like" Las Vegas.  I guess it started out like that and then at some point just became synonymous with a 'Ville.  Hence the "Knox Vegas" and "Clark Vegas."

Pretty sure Las Vegas means "the meadows".  Don't have my translation book with me but that's what I've always heard.

I echo the sentiments that this is off topic, but I asked somebody over twenty years ago why "Nashvegas" and the answer was that it had been called that for (by that time) a couple of decades because of its several highways lined with brightly lit stores and neon.  It was first used by country people who came to "the city" back in the 60s to the Opry and other reasons. They equated the approach to town, like DIckerson, Gallatin and Murfreesboro, with their strips of hotels and diners with what they had seen in pictures of Las Vegas. 

Edited by MLBrumby

Pretty sure Las Vegas means "the meadows".  Don't have my translation book with me but that's what I've always heard.

I echo the sentiments that this is off topic, but I asked somebody over twenty years ago why "Nashvegas" and the answer was that it had been called that for (by that time) a couple of decades because of its several highways lined with brightly lit stores and neon.  It was first used by country people who came to "the city" back in the 60s to the Opry and other reasons. They equated the approach to town, like DIckerson, Gallatin and Murfreesboro, with their strips of hotels and diners with what they had seen in pictures of Las Vegas. 

I agree. I think it has more to do with neon lights that the city currently has and had back in the day. Just about every liquor store, gentleman's club, and roadside motel had a neon light sign.

And of course Broadway downtown.

Long live NashVegas!

• Like 1

Well, to get off the subject of east nasty, nashvegas , etc; the permit for the demo work for 949 Main was finally issued about a month late. The building is already down. Very odd for sure. This is where the Condo building will go.

BTW, stayed tuned for a couple of announcements today in the Post. I gave WW some info yesterday. Again not goiing to say where yet. But this is the first of several in the works.