Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Guess you will have to stop by and see if it is authentic enough for you.

The interior design isnt what I would expect to see if I was walking into a mom and pop place in Mexico, but, they are also trying to appeal to the crowd they will be getting in 5 Points.

The food is great and the service will be great as well....the owner/manager, Chuy, has ownership in multiple other area mexican restaurants and takes pride in putting out a good product.

I thought the place was very good. I met Bryan Hibbs and invited him to a meet. The bar was real nice and the place was 100% better than Rose Pepper. My wife had the fish tacos and they were excellent complete with homemade  tortillas and spicy ranch dipping sauce. Rose Pepper although a nice place for drinks, has the most bland tasting food I have ever eaten. Absolutely no flavoring at all.  The only thing Rose Pepper has is cheese, cheese, and more cheese. Cojina Mexicana 5 Points is going to print money, no question and the service was excellent. Good to meet you Bryan!

I thought the place was very good. I met Bryan Hibbs and invited him to a meet. The bar was real nice and the place was 100% better than Rose Pepper. My wife had the fish tacos and they were excellent complete with homemade  tortillas and spicy ranch dipping sauce. Rose Pepper although a nice place for drinks, has the most bland tasting food I have ever eaten. Absolutely no flavoring at all.  The only thing Rose Pepper has is cheese, cheese, and more cheese. Cojina Mexicana 5 Points is going to print money, no question and the service was excellent. Good to meet you Bryan!

Nice to meet you as well, pal...

Hopefull I can get to a meet at some point, being a bachelor and all I typically have some "fun" Friday nights and you guys typically schedule those meets before I wake up on Saturday morning, haha.

Since you guys were over near 5 points recently...

Beyond the style, what do you think of replacing older small houses with big ones on small lots, for example the 1100 Lillian block?

Narrow street, small lots, and (until recently) small homes but now getting big homes on small lots mixed in.

1107 proposal is on the MHZC list for March 19, replacing a very small house with a relatively big one on a small lot.

There's definitely precedent for it in the surrounding area but it still seems a little out of proportion.

1107 Lillian

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/03%20March%2019/SR%201107%20Lillian%20Street.pdf

Beyond the style, what do you think of replacing older small houses with big ones on small lots, for example the 1100 Lillian block?

Narrow street, small lots, and (until recently) small homes but now getting big homes on small lots mixed in.

1107 proposal is on the MHZC list for March 19, replacing a very small house with a relatively big one on a small lot.

There's definitely precedent for it in the surrounding area but it still seems a little out of proportion.

1107 Lillian

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/03%20March%2019/SR%201107%20Lillian%20Street.pdf

Great job monitoring the MHZC agenda and dockets! 

1107 Lillian is indeed a small house, but it is not contributing (non-historic) and so it can be demolished.  It is a tiny 1950s cottage that was put in what used to be the back yard of the house on Fatherland with a lot subdivision that wouldn't pass today.  The design guidelines for new construction require comparison to nearby contributing (historic) houses for dimensions.  Remember that design guidelines are far more involved with dimensions than with a certain "style" or "look."

Height:  The new house will be one-and-one-half stories.  The ridge height will be 28 feet.  The ridge height range of nearby historic houses is between 15-30 feet.  This one will be at the upper end of that range, but still within that range.

Width:  This is where the proportion question comes in.  The width of the new house will be 40 feet.  The witdth range of most nearby historic houses is between 28-34 feet.  So this house will be wider than most in that vicinity.  The MHZC staff did point out that there are two nearby historic houses with a 40-foot width:  1107 Boscobel (one block to the south) and 312 S 11th (also one block away).  A lot of complaints about the dimensional comps that Historic allows is that they cast a wide net looking for a larger home.  I can kind of see that here.  But the justification is that (1) there are historic houses within a block that are 40 feet wide and (2) the small lot means that the house would need to be wider in order to allow a decent-sized footprint.

I am inclined to agree that this one is a bit too wide.  Lillian has a lot of terrain issues and less historic context than some other blocks in East End.  After all, there is a reason why there aren't many historic homes on these lots.  But it seems to me that the new home could be more narrow without losing too much square footage.  You are welcome to come to the MHZC hearing or write in to the commissioners expressing that view that the staff analysis is proposing too much variance from the design guidelines for width allowance.

If you do come to the hearing, please raise your hand in support of Eastwood's Conservation Zoning Overlay expansion!

Edited by bwithers1

Bret,

Can you give me the location of the CORE project in E Nashville? I can't seem to remember where it was. I think I have the rest of the project's we talked about Saturday. I am doing another map with just projects that are under construction or proposed in Nashville only. Should have it ready to go soon. The large map has become a little awkward.

BTW, John said there was core drilling at the Main street site next to 5th & Main yesterday. I have not seen the property transfer on that one yet. It is close.

This one has a fairly muted color scheme on the exterior.  Perhaps WW will approve?  WW's dislike of bright color schemes is well known, which would seem to place a limitation on his patronage of most Mexican restaurants.  This one may be sufficiently earth-toned for William's taste. 

I'm just glad that this one is not another damned pizza joint.  I think that there is yet another one coming to the 11th/Fatherland area.  Good grief!  Riverside Village has one - Castrillo's - which seems about right for that area, where Dan Heller is curating a healthy mix of options.  There is something to be said for variety.  Variety of pizza toppings doesn't count.

Well put, Bwithers1. You know me well. 

WW

Bret,

Can you give me the location of the CORE project in E Nashville? I can't seem to remember where it was. I think I have the rest of the project's we talked about Saturday. I am doing another map with just projects that are under construction or proposed in Nashville only. Should have it ready to go soon. The large map has become a little awkward.

BTW, John said there was core drilling at the Main street site next to 5th & Main yesterday. I have not seen the property transfer on that one yet. It is close.

I think that the one that you are referring to is called Rosebank Cove.  The address is 1414 Rosebank Ave (at Rosecliff Drive or something like that).  About 30 homes going in there.  This one was heard before the Planning Commission on 02/13. 

There is also a 29-unit cottage development going in at the NWC of Douglas/Montgomery.  I think that the address is 731 Douglas.  Site plan was included with the Planning staff reports for the 11/14 hearing, I believe.

I have several more to help populate your map.  I'm just swamped at the moment. 

Update on 1107 Lillian:

Thanks for bringing 1107 Lillian to my attention, 37206 Dude! I was at yesteday's MHZC hearing to represent Eastwood for our Conservation Zoning Overlay expansion (which passed by the way).

Since a bunch of us had already taken the afternoon off from work, we stayed to comment on 1107 Lillian. It's a shame that the MHZC staff were recommending approval of that structure with all of those variances. But Michael Kreyling, the President of the East End Neighborhood Association (also President of Rediscover East), Alan Hayes and I contested those variances.

The Commissioners approved the demolition request: the house was non-contributing, so there was no legal basis to oppose the demolition.

But the Commissioners listened to our objections and disapproved the new construction request. It is not the business of the MHZC to figure out ways to bend or break all of the design guidlines (I mean all of them simultaneously) so that a developer can cram a 4-bedroom, 3-bath house onto half a lot.  Had the Commission approved the request with conditions, there would have been a large house going on there.

But because the Commission disapproved this new construction request, the applicant cannot bring this application back.   Instead, he can come back before the Commision with a new house project, but he needs to be certain that the new plans meet the design guidelines. This parcel is literally a half of a lot. So if he purchased a small lot, he needs to put a small house on it. Simple as that.

This particular developer voiced opposition to Overlays.  Now we know why.  I guess he doesn't like playing by the rules.

1107 Lillian

• Like 1

No worries Bret. When you have time. Thanks for the above information.

Sounds as if Metro is starting to get it, at least a little.

"A little" is right. 

One of the unsung benefits of the Overlays is that the MHZC has the authority to adjust setback reductions that would otherwise require a BZA hearing.  So it's a little ridiculous for a developer who "opposes Overlays" to (1) live inside an Overlay himself and (2) seek out work in an Overlay and (3) seek to manipulate MHZC staff to give him a free hearing for not one but two setback reductions and a parking variance that would require mailings, notice signs and other costs in addition to fees if he were to go through the BZA. 

The unfortunate reality is that "vigilence is the price of democracy" and that Metro departments and many Council Members rely on citizens to pay attention and play the bad cop to ensure that codes and even laws are enforced.

Edited by bwithers1

Update on 923 Main Street (Ken's Sushi):  a permit was issued on 03/19 for Vision Design Building for the Ken's Sushi spot "to finish approx the 35% remaining for Koi Sushi and Thai Restaurant, also per this permit to use the 784 existing deck."  Does that mean that Ken's is moving to 923 Main and will be joined by Koi Sushi and Thai or that Ken's is not coming to this location but the space will instead be used by Koi?

Update on 923 Main Street (Ken's Sushi):  a permit was issued on 03/19 for Vision Design Building for the Ken's Sushi spot "to finish approx the 35% remaining for Koi Sushi and Thai Restaurant, also per this permit to use the 784 existing deck."  Does that mean that Ken's is moving to 923 Main and will be joined by Koi Sushi and Thai or that Ken's is not coming to this location but the space will instead be used by Koi?

Ken's has abandoned this building completely.  

Ken's has abandoned this building completely.  

I wish everyone would abandon that building completely and demolish it.  That large lot was nice when the historic Ildewilde House was there next door.  But since that building was neglected by the property owner and homeless individuals burned it, we might as well build new and up to the street like everything else new going in on Main Street.  Nashville is so bad about constantly reusing precisely the wrong buildings.  I will never get past this cinder-block building having been the home of the very shady Main Street Salvage.  Green paint and exterior bedazzler appliques notwitstanding. 

Edited by bwithers1

I wish everyone would abandon that building completely and demolish it.  That large lot was nice when the historic Ildewilde House was there next door.  But since that building was neglected by the property owner and homeless individuals burned it, we might as well build new and up to the street like everything else new going in on Main Street.  Nashville is so bad about constantly reusing precisely the wrong buildings.  I will never get past this cinder-block building having been the home of the very shady Main Street Salvage.  Green paint and exterior bedazzler appliques notwitstanding. 

LOL... "bedazzler appliques"???  And green, no doubt a very loud green, at that!  That sounds hideous!

LOL... "bedazzler appliques"???  And green, no doubt a very loud green, at that!  That sounds hideous!

I think that it may just be kind of a checkerboard paint job using green (yes, a loud, hideous green - and this coming from a person whose favorite color is green) and silver or something like that.  As if there are raised patterns on the cinderblocks that have four triangles joining with the different sides painted different colors.  Something like that that would have been largely invisible when the cinderblocks were painted generic whitewash.  But the effect of the new paint job is a slightly "bedazzled" look.  And then there is the home-depot-self-permit-style deck off to the side leading to the 23 parking spaces.  I have seen double-wide trailers that looked more appropriate for a main business/retail thoroughfare.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Someone on this thread was working on a historic overlay for their neighborhood some time back. Can someone remind me who that was? I have quite a few questions about that process. Someone from MHZC attended my neighborhoods association meeting recently and discussed the possibility. I would like to get the opinion of someone who recently went through the process.

Edit; I think I answered my own question. It was bwithers1, wasn't it?

Edited by nashvillwill

Someone on this thread was working on a historic overlay for their neighborhood some time back. Can someone remind me who that was? I have quite a few questions about that process. Someone from MHZC attended my neighborhoods association meeting recently and discussed the possibility. I would like to get the opinion of someone who recently went through the process.

Edit; I think I answered my own question. It was bwithers1, wasn't it?

Feel free to hit me up anytime.  There is a link to my e-mail on our neighborhood's website at www.eastwoodneighbors.org.

This past Wednesday, the MHZ Commissioners voted unanimously to recommend approval of Eastwood's Overlay expansion to the Planning Commission and the Metro Council.  The Planning Commission hearing is this coming Thursday.  The Planning staff recommendation is for approval of Eastwood's overlay expansion boundaries to include approximately 500 additional properties.  We will see who shows up to the hearing and how the Commissioners decide.  As the neighborhood president, I have to take the stand to report on results of our meetings and survey process and answer any questions that the Commissioners ask before they render a decision.

Eastwood is in the final stages of our Overlay expansion, but it has been a full-time job for about six months. But I have also recently been working with Lockeland Springs's board in a consultative capacity and have spoken about it at a recent Inglewood meeting. Eastwood and Lockeland Springs both have existing Overlays that we are expanding, so that makes things a bit easier. Neighborhoods that do not currently have Overlays will have to start from scratch. 

Who remembers the little historic corner grocery store at 17th/Shelby from our tour?  I think that Ron posted a photo of that building in his thread.  The owners are requesting and the Planning Commission is recommending approval of a Landmark Overlay District to include that property.  There is a possibility that Lockeland Springs will bridge their Overlay boundaries far enough to cover that portion of Shelby Ave, but that is far from certain.  They would have to bring their Overlay from Fatherland Street down across the really bad stuff on Boscobel in order to reach Shelby.  TN state law requires that historic districts be contiguous. 

But in some cases, individual properties like this one or stretches are opting for Landmark Overlay District status, which is like a Conservation Zoning Overlay but administered through the Planning Commission instead of the MHZC.  The historic homes on Gallatin Road opposite Litton School just went this route as well.  The Landmark Overlay District provides some land-use perks to the property owner in exchange for protecting the property.  In many cases, such as this one on Shelby, it provides a possibility for light commercial (such as retail) use in an otherwise residential zoning.  Sometimes that income-producing potential helps to generate revenue that keeps these buildings around.

Who remembers the little historic corner grocery store at 17th/Shelby from our tour?  I think that Ron posted a photo of that building in his thread.  The owners are requesting and the Planning Commission is recommending approval of a Landmark Overlay District to include that property.  There is a possibility that Lockeland Springs will bridge their Overlay boundaries far enough to cover that portion of Shelby Ave, but that is far from certain.  They would have to bring their Overlay from Fatherland Street down across the really bad stuff on Boscobel in order to reach Shelby.  TN state law requires that historic districts be contiguous. 

But in some cases, individual properties like this one or stretches are opting for Landmark Overlay District status, which is like a Conservation Zoning Overlay but administered through the Planning Commission instead of the MHZC.  The historic homes on Gallatin Road opposite Litton School just went this route as well.  The Landmark Overlay District provides some land-use perks to the property owner in exchange for protecting the property.  In many cases, such as this one on Shelby, it provides a possibility for light commercial (such as retail) use in an otherwise residential zoning.  Sometimes that income-producing potential helps to generate revenue that keeps these buildings around.

I saw that on the Planning commission Staff reports. Very encouraging. I also saw the E Nash. overlay is recommended for approval as well.

Feel free to hit me up anytime.  There is a link to my e-mail on our neighborhood's website at www.eastwoodneighbors.org.

This past Wednesday, the MHZ Commissioners voted unanimously to recommend approval of Eastwood's Overlay expansion to the Planning Commission and the Metro Council.  The Planning Commission hearing is this coming Thursday.  The Planning staff recommendation is for approval of Eastwood's overlay expansion boundaries to include approximately 500 additional properties.  We will see who shows up to the hearing and how the Commissioners decide.  As the neighborhood president, I have to take the stand to report on results of our meetings and survey process and answer any questions that the Commissioners ask before they render a decision.

Eastwood is in the final stages of our Overlay expansion, but it has been a full-time job for about six months. But I have also recently been working with Lockeland Springs's board in a consultative capacity and have spoken about it at a recent Inglewood meeting. Eastwood and Lockeland Springs both have existing Overlays that we are expanding, so that makes things a bit easier. Neighborhoods that do not currently have Overlays will have to start from scratch. 

Bwithers, would you mind pointing me to any resources online that I can read up on to learn more about our neighborhood 'Overlays'? I'm new to this board and am trying to learn more about East Nash zoning and overlays and the ilk as our area grows (...and grows, and grows) I don't really speak the language but feel I need to learn...I read through www.eastwoodneighbors.org for starters...  Thanks guys for helping a noob ... We're on Fatherland close to 17th