Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Hey guys. I have a question about Cleveland Park, and I hope that it is appropriate for the forum (if not, feel free to delete).

I'm looking to buy a house in the Cleveland Park area. I know it's a little rough around the edges, but it seems like a nice area that is in the process of gentrification. I'm looking to start a family soon, so I just want to know any experience anyone has whom lives in the area. Is it safe? Any problems? Any break-in's? Are home values on the rise? Can my wife walk our dog at night without being afraid? Are the parks safe?

Feel free to private message me with your thoughts. Thanks guys.

Hey guys. I have a question about Cleveland Park, and I hope that it is appropriate for the forum (if not, feel free to delete).

I'm looking to buy a house in the Cleveland Park area. I know it's a little rough around the edges, but it seems like a nice area that is in the process of gentrification. I'm looking to start a family soon, so I just want to know any experience anyone has whom lives in the area. Is it safe? Any problems? Any break-in's? Are home values on the rise? Can my wife walk our dog at night without being afraid? Are the parks safe?

Feel free to private message me with your thoughts. Thanks guys.

Cleveland Park is more safe than you would realize and has a pretty strong neighborhood group.  What I would really recommend that you do is contact Sgt. Mike Fisher with the East Precinct and ask him for a crime report for the Cleveland Park area, or even for a specific radius of your house.  That report would give you more facts than the "word of mouth" anecdotal evidence.  Sgt. Fisher is the Community Affairs Officer for the East Precinct.  [email protected] or 862-7500.  There is also a community drop-in luncheon with the East Precinct Commander and Investigations leader at Beyond the Edge in Five Points every Thursday from 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM.  Bob Acuff heads up the crime watch initiatives for East Nashville and is always there.  These are great resources.  Don't rely on rumors:  get the facts. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

In the Tennessean article about the 1100 Fatherland building Spark restaurant they also write:

"Separately, Sanders plans to begin construction this summer of 10 townhomes on a corner lot at South 10th Street and Fatherland."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/201402131006/BUSINESS/302130035

Any details available on that project?

I assume it would be the corner that is now a parking lot for the shoppes.

In the Tennessean article about the 1100 Fatherland building Spark restaurant they also write:

"Separately, Sanders plans to begin construction this summer of 10 townhomes on a corner lot at South 10th Street and Fatherland."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/201402131006/BUSINESS/302130035

Any details available on that project?

I assume it would be the corner that is now a parking lot for the shoppes.

That sounds right.  The 10th/Russell townhome project is already under construction.  I think that the lot next to the current Shoppes on Fatherland was to be phase 5 or 6 of the Martin Corner development, which of course includes Martin Corner grocery, the townhomes north of that, the 37206 Building, the historic storefront at 11th/Fatherland, the Shoppes on Fatherland, 1100 Fatherland, and I believe that EastCentric Pavilion.  I'm not absolutely certain that all of those are part of the Martin Corner group, but I think so.

I actually thought that the lot at the SEC of 10th/Fatherland  was originally in line to go first before the 1100 Fatherland Building, so I would not be surprised to see it starting up about the time that 1100 Fatherland finishes.

FYI,

Just for all of you on the east side, i am happy to let you know that i will be joining your ranks soon. I am buying my first home in Highland Heights. In case that neighborhood doesn't ring any bells, it's the area just north of Cleveland Park. Roughly bordered by Douglas Ave/Dickerson/Ellington Pkwy/Trinity Ln. 

I will be on Lischey Ave. just a few doors down from Douglas Market. I am really excited about my new home (it's a beautiful Tudor) and getting to know the neighborhood. The area is a little rough around the edges. I will be raising my family there, so i am a little concerned about crime in the area, but i remain optimistic that we have found an area we will love. I plan to join the neighborhood association and help to improve the neighborhood in any way that i can. 

As some of you may (or may not) know, i'm a native Nashvillian, but i've been living in the SF Bay Area the last 5 years. It's good to be back and to finally be buying my first home.

If there is anyone on these boards whom is involved in the community, i would be happy to talk about it. And of course, i'll be keeping my eyes on the area for any new developments on which to report.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

FYI,

Just for all of you on the east side, i am happy to let you know that i will be joining your ranks soon. I am buying my first home in Highland Heights. In case that neighborhood doesn't ring any bells, it's the area just north of Cleveland Park. Roughly bordered by Douglas Ave/Dickerson/Ellington Pkwy/Trinity Ln. 

I will be on Lischey Ave. just a few doors down from Douglas Market. I am really excited about my new home (it's a beautiful Tudor) and getting to know the neighborhood. The area is a little rough around the edges. I will be raising my family there, so i am a little concerned about crime in the area, but i remain optimistic that we have found an area we will love. I plan to join the neighborhood association and help to improve the neighborhood in any way that i can. 

As some of you may (or may not) know, i'm a native Nashvillian, but i've been living in the SF Bay Area the last 5 years. It's good to be back and to finally be buying my first home.

If there is anyone on these boards whom is involved in the community, i would be happy to talk about it. And of course, i'll be keeping my eyes on the area for any new developments on which to report.

Cheers,

Will

Congrats!!  Wow, I can't believe it's been 5 years already!!!

FYI,

Cheers,

Will

Congrats on the house purchase and welcome to the eastside. It really has a small town feel but with city amentities. I bought my house over here about 8 years ago and my wife and I are also starting a family. We have a toddler and one that has just left toddlerhood. The Mom's Club is very active and we have met a lot of our newer eastside friends through this organization actually. I believe the area you are in is covered by the Eastwood Neighbors club. I occasionally make it out to meet the old childless 5 Points crew, but not like in the day...

If your worried about crime and If you don't already have a big dog or two, I would highly suggest adopting at the animal shelter. An alarm helps as well (but not as much as the dogs). I love the eastside, but I would not have moved to where I did at the time without a big dog. BTW, the only incident I have had in 8 years, is someone rifled through my unlocked truck one night.

Anyway, my wife grew up in West Nashville and could count the times she came to East Nashville on one hand...she loves it over here now. Lot's of things going on in the city and the eastside (as you know), can't help but get excited.

Edited by TnNative

Great!   There are construction trailers nestled under the pedestrian bridge on the West side, also.     Presumably for the amphitheater/thermal site.   

You are correct about that. They are getting ready to start on that project as well. They are still doing core drilling on that side. There will be a lot involved getting the flood wall built too.