Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

I remember the discussion that you are talking about with regard to NADC's expansion plans.  That was right around the time that I bought my house just off Gallatin in 2005 (and back when a lot of the rental properties on my street were basically dormitories for NADC students). 

Other than the institutional overlay that was put in place for NADC, I don't think that Metro was offering cash or any other kind of assistance for acquisition.  I think that the college was simply aiming to purchase properties as they became available.  In that regard it's no different than what Vandy or Belmont or Lipscomb have done in their own respective areas.  But you are right that if NADC hasn't acquired the properties yet (some 8 years later), their chances of doing so are getting thinner with the improving market.  As much as I would like to see it go, I can't see Bailey's Wrecker Service moving off of Gallatin since their move out of 5 Points itself was so contentious.  But I would LOVE to see Mac's Market, the former Tornado Wireless, Jerry's Market, etc go and be replaced by mixed use buildings.  Or even for the college to put better buildings up on their own campus space that address the street better and maybe keep the students from wandering randomly across Gallatin.

NADC has technically been a property of Lincoln Education for some time, but they have been rebranding the campus lately for more uniform signage with the Lincoln brand.  I don't know whether Lincoln may have more money to invest in the NADC campus expansion than NADC did.

You may know that the main building on the NADC campus was the mansion that belonged to Percy Warner before he sold it to Trevecca Nazarene University and moved out to Belle Meade.  (The Trevecca campus is the reason for the having Trevecca Street there).  At some point Trevecca Nazarene then moved to LaFayette Street and NADC took over the former Trevecca campus.  If NADC does move out for some reason, the future of that building would become uncertain.

Okay, didn't know the story about Bailey's wrecker service. I think I dislike that business more than MAC's and Jerry's with the concrete block wall topped by razor wire, the constant presence of trash and bundles of tangled chain link fence strewn around the parking lot.

Apparently MAC's was just sold. The former owner had scrawled "for sale" on the window a few weeks ago and that is painted over now and I have seen some workman on the roof. I don't have high hopes just by judging from the little bit of the half butted "rehab" I've seen. I think were heading for another discount baccy/beer joint or something similiar. I hope I'm wrong.

I counted the discount tobacco stores the other day on the 5 mile stretch from Briley Parkway/Inglewood to the HG Hills stripmall/Greenwood Ave (where the now quashed Publix rumor revolved around) on Gallatin Rd and there are about 9 discount tobacco/beer stores, give or take one or two. I am actually looking forward to the new Speedway Gas Station to open up on the former Krystal’s site. For a gas station, it looks like they are doing a nice job and putting some thought and money in it. It's nice to see a gas station similar to ones found somewhere like Hendersonville popping up on Gallatin Road. And maybe this will help put two or three of those discount tobacco stores out of business. It's a small victory, but hey, there's nowhere to go but up.

Edited by TnNative

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of ANY plans for the defunct Edgefield Restaurant? It's crazy that storefront has sat vacant all this time. The owner is some guy named William Bailey...is he trying to do anything at all with the property??

Thanks

I haven't heard anything other than what you have.  I think that the owners could put that site up for sale and retire off the profits.   Seriously.

Quick updates on East Nashville projects under construction:

Main Street/Five Points/East End/Lockeland Springs/Shelby Hills

-715 Woodland has quite a bit of the underground work done and the elevator/stairwell towers are in place. The grade change between Woodland down to Main Street will make that project look enormous looking up the hill from Main Street.

-The 900 Main project with Fat Bottom/Edleys etc continues to evolve and is looking better all the time. Personally, I wish that they didn't have a parking lot in the center of all that, but oh well. It's still going to be a very active block. The former quasi-residential building next door is housing a salvage/repurposing business. Personally, I think that the business is cool, but I do wish that they wouldn't put merchandise out on the street or on the small lot next to the building. That practice propogates a cluttered appearance that we are trying to get rid of, not bring back. That's a small complaint, though.

-Main/McFerrin apartments also have lots of dirt moving. That is a ginormous project, so I don't look to see anything really coming out of the ground until maybe mid next year.

-10th/Russell has a lot of dirt moving but no foundations or anything yet. That's a large project, so it will take a while to see progress.

-11th/Fatherland has a fair amount of stick framing up already. That one is moving pretty quickly and the developer has applied for a sign/awning permit that will go over the street a little bit. It will be great to get that corner filled in and occupied well before next year's Tomato fest.

-17th/Fatherland: Construction of the Olive and Sinclair Chocolate Company relocation to an historic HG Hill Grocery Store is coming along slowly but surely.

-16th/Russell: There is some neighborhood buzz about a reuse of another historic corner store building at 16th/Russell where East Garden used to be located before they moved into the Woodland Street incubator space. Lockeland Springs is funny: everyone seems to love Lockeland Table, which is a restaurant in an historic HG Hill grocery store, but everyone totally complains about anything else coming in to that neighborhood to reuse the historic commercial spaces. Maybe it's because Lockeland Table restaurant continues the ubiquitous Lockeland brand? I'm not sure why the get an easy pass but everyone else catches hell. But that's East Nashville.

-15th/Shelby: There is a unique project in which 5 teeny tiny energy efficient homes are being constructed on this lot next to the pocket park.  That lot has a steep decline, so these could have great views over this "holler" and toward the Cumberland.

Going North on Gallatin:  Eastwood/Greenwood/East Hill/South Inglewood:

-The coffee shop that was proposed in the house next door to Holland House appears to have hit a snag.

-The Chickamauga Ave Townhomes are framed out and looking nice. Next door at Gallatin/Chicamauga, the Crossfit 615 moved out of that old car service center. They are now located in an industrial kind of space on West Kirkland (Going up Gallatin to where the railroad overpass is located, you actually have to do a u-turn to come back southbound and turn right before the Radio Shack.) I personally wish that the owner of that former car center at Gallatin/Chicamauga would get his senses and demolish that crap. It's time for a built-to-the-street mixed use building there.

-Gallatin b/t Granada and Sharpe:  The owners of The Dog Spot grooming/boarding at Granada/Gallatin are making quite a bit of progress on the buildings that they bought across the street at Sharpe/Gallatin. One retail space will be a pet food/supply/dog wash space with with The Dog Spot's Dalmatian-style painting on the side of the building. I'm not sure yet what will go in the other spaces. The owners live literally a few doors down the street so they are super invested in cleaning up that area.

-The former Krystal at Cahal/Gallatin is gone and the Speedway gas station is nearing completion. This one is being built according to Gallatin SP standards similar to the Kroger fuel center that went in at Seymour/Gallatin a few years ago: lots of brick construction, including a knee wall and landscaping along Gallatin and reasonable lighting. One more imposing pole sign down, 400 to go!

-Moving up Gallatin, Mickey's Pub (a nonsmoking "dive") has opened in the East Hill area on Gallatin between Burchwood and Trinity. The Hop Stop has construction going on as well. That neighborhood center is coming along quietly to fill in the existing buildings between Pepperfire restaurant and Logue's Black Raven Emporium.

Further North on Gallatin:  Inglewood Proper

-The Inglewood Neighborhood Association has gotten two more neighborhood signs that look pretty nice. One is at the First Tennessee Bank branch property opposite Hart Lane. The other is near the Briley Parkway entrance to Inglewood near Home Depot. I think that Inglewood now has a bazillion signs, but these look good.

-Hart Lane/Gallatin: Liberty Collegiate Academy is renovating the former Baxter Alternative Learning Center school building at this corner. Not the greatest structure ever built, but it is decent and is a good choice for a school use.

-Riverside Village: renovation of the new space for Mitchell Delicatessen is looking nice; new sidewalks and a handlebar-moustache-shaped bike rack are in the works for the Riverside/McGavock intersection.

East of Gallatin:  Eastwood/Rosebank/South Inglewood:

-Walden construction is looking strong. Can't wait for the Climb Nashville and Cumberland Transit branches to open. We'll see when the next phases get started and March Edgerton is required to put in a traffic signal at Chapel/Eastland.

-Porter/Eastland: Developers have submitted an SP to demolish the terrible brick apartment blocks and construct 11 single-family homes in a cottage development. The development team is local and met with the Eastwood neighborhood a while back. Very contemporary designs. We'll see how this one goes with Planning. Several people whom I know have expressed disappointment that there will be no retail/mixed use here. But this is a small lot and there is a lot of retail/mixed across the street at Porter East already plus coming in the next 7 or 8 Walden buildings.  I'm ok with residential only here.

-Porter/Greenwood: Build-out is nearing completion on the restaurant business and the bourbon specialty store at Porter Crossing opposite Cafe Fundamental. It will be good to get some active businesses in there.

-Porter/Cahal: There is a redevelopment proposal that is planned at Cahal/Porter opposite that terrible Save-A-Trip gas station. I testified before Planning in support of this rezoning, which will add commercial/retail spaces along Porter with 22 homes on the interior. The neighborhood center expansion is now up for the Metro Council consideration. That could mean great things for that area around Riverside/Porter. There are similar neighborhood center plans in the works around Riverside/Rosebank, and there is speculation about the large blank lot at Riverside/Eastland.

-There are a few fairly large subdivision proposals floating around the Rosebank area.  One is near the absolute end of Eastland for about 35 homes.  There is another proposal for a subdivision to be added on Rosebank Ave near the entrance to the former Cornelia Fort Airpark. These are pretty controversial with the existing neighbors.

West of the Ellington:  Cleveland Park/Highland Heights:

-The renovation of the old Highland Heights school on Douglas just east of Dickerson where Kipp Academy is located now is making a lot of progress. A lot of money was spent to save as much of the historic structure as possible including asbestos remediation, etc. The new construction parts look nice, too.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

Quick updates on East Nashville projects under construction:

Main Street/Five Points/East End/Lockeland Springs/Shelby Hills

-715 Woodland has quite a bit of the underground work done and the elevator/stairwell towers are in place. The grade change between Woodland down to Main Street will make that project look enormous looking up the hill from Main Street.

-The 900 Main project with Fat Bottom/Edleys etc continues to evolve and is looking better all the time. Personally, I wish that they didn't have a parking lot in the center of all that, but oh well. It's still going to be a very active block. The former quasi-residential building next door is housing a salvage/repurposing business. Personally, I think that the business is cool, but I do wish that they wouldn't put merchandise out on the street or on the small lot next to the building. That practice propogates a cluttered appearance that we are trying to get rid of, not bring back. That's a small complaint, though.

-Main/McFerrin apartments also have lots of dirt moving. That is a ginormous project, so I don't look to see anything really coming out of the ground until maybe mid next year.

-10th/Russell has a lot of dirt moving but no foundations or anything yet. That's a large project, so it will take a while to see progress.

-11th/Fatherland has a fair amount of stick framing up already. That one is moving pretty quickly and the developer has applied for a sign/awning permit that will go over the street a little bit. It will be great to get that corner filled in and occupied well before next year's Tomato fest.

-17th/Fatherland: Construction of the Olive and Sinclair Chocolate Company relocation to an historic HG Hill Grocery Store is coming along slowly but surely.

-16th/Russell: There is some neighborhood buzz about a reuse of another historic corner store building at 16th/Russell where East Garden used to be located before they moved into the Woodland Street incubator space. Lockeland Springs is funny: everyone seems to love Lockeland Table, which is a restaurant in an historic HG Hill grocery store, but everyone totally complains about anything else coming in to that neighborhood to reuse the historic commercial spaces. Maybe it's because Lockeland Table restaurant continues the ubiquitous Lockeland brand? I'm not sure why the get an easy pass but everyone else catches hell. But that's East Nashville.

-15th/Shelby: There is a unique project in which 5 teeny tiny energy efficient homes are being constructed on this lot next to the pocket park.  That lot has a steep decline, so these could have great views over this "holler" and toward the Cumberland.

Going North on Gallatin:  Eastwood/Greenwood/East Hill/South Inglewood:

-The coffee shop that was proposed in the house next door to Holland House appears to have hit a snag.

-The Chickamauga Ave Townhomes are framed out and looking nice. Next door at Gallatin/Chicamauga, the Crossfit 615 moved out of that old car service center. They are now located in an industrial kind of space on West Kirkland (Going up Gallatin to where the railroad overpass is located, you actually have to do a u-turn to come back southbound and turn right before the Radio Shack.) I personally wish that the owner of that former car center at Gallatin/Chicamauga would get his senses and demolish that crap. It's time for a built-to-the-street mixed use building there.

-Gallatin b/t Granada and Sharpe:  The owners of The Dog Spot grooming/boarding at Granada/Gallatin are making quite a bit of progress on the buildings that they bought across the street at Sharpe/Gallatin. One retail space will be a pet food/supply/dog wash space with with The Dog Spot's Dalmatian-style painting on the side of the building. I'm not sure yet what will go in the other spaces. The owners live literally a few doors down the street so they are super invested in cleaning up that area.

-The former Krystal at Cahal/Gallatin is gone and the Speedway gas station is nearing completion. This one is being built according to Gallatin SP standards similar to the Kroger fuel center that went in at Seymour/Gallatin a few years ago: lots of brick construction, including a knee wall and landscaping along Gallatin and reasonable lighting. One more imposing pole sign down, 400 to go!

-Moving up Gallatin, Mickey's Pub (a nonsmoking "dive") has opened in the East Hill area on Gallatin between Burchwood and Trinity. The Hop Stop has construction going on as well. That neighborhood center is coming along quietly to fill in the existing buildings between Pepperfire restaurant and Logue's Black Raven Emporium.

Further North on Gallatin:  Inglewood Proper

-The Inglewood Neighborhood Association has gotten two more neighborhood signs that look pretty nice. One is at the First Tennessee Bank branch property opposite Hart Lane. The other is near the Briley Parkway entrance to Inglewood near Home Depot. I think that Inglewood now has a bazillion signs, but these look good.

-Hart Lane/Gallatin: Liberty Collegiate Academy is renovating the former Baxter Alternative Learning Center school building at this corner. Not the greatest structure ever built, but it is decent and is a good choice for a school use.

-Riverside Village: renovation of the new space for Mitchell Delicatessen is looking nice; new sidewalks and a handlebar-moustache-shaped bike rack are in the works for the Riverside/McGavock intersection.

East of Gallatin:  Eastwood/Rosebank/South Inglewood:

-Walden construction is looking strong. Can't wait for the Climb Nashville and Cumberland Transit branches to open. We'll see when the next phases get started and March Edgerton is required to put in a traffic signal at Chapel/Eastland.

-Porter/Eastland: Developers have submitted an SP to demolish the terrible brick apartment blocks and construct 11 single-family homes in a cottage development. The development team is local and met with the Eastwood neighborhood a while back. Very contemporary designs. We'll see how this one goes with Planning. Several people whom I know have expressed disappointment that there will be no retail/mixed use here. But this is a small lot and there is a lot of retail/mixed across the street at Porter East already plus coming in the next 7 or 8 Walden buildings.  I'm ok with residential only here.

-Porter/Greenwood: Build-out is nearing completion on the restaurant business and the bourbon specialty store at Porter Crossing opposite Cafe Fundamental. It will be good to get some active businesses in there.

-Porter/Cahal: There is a redevelopment proposal that is planned at Cahal/Porter opposite that terrible Save-A-Trip gas station. I testified before Planning in support of this rezoning, which will add commercial/retail spaces along Porter with 22 homes on the interior. The neighborhood center expansion is now up for the Metro Council consideration. That could mean great things for that area around Riverside/Porter. There are similar neighborhood center plans in the works around Riverside/Rosebank, and there is speculation about the large blank lot at Riverside/Eastland.

-There are a few fairly large subdivision proposals floating around the Rosebank area.  One is near the absolute end of Eastland for about 35 homes.  There is another proposal for a subdivision to be added on Rosebank Ave near the entrance to the former Cornelia Fort Airpark. These are pretty controversial with the existing neighbors.

West of the Ellington:  Cleveland Park/Highland Heights:

-The renovation of the old Highland Heights school on Douglas just east of Dickerson where Kipp Academy is located now is making a lot of progress. A lot of money was spent to save as much of the historic structure as possible including asbestos remediation, etc. The new construction parts look nice, too.

Thanks for the intel Hamlet, good stuff!

Have you heard any rumblings about additional tenants in the Olive and Sinclair space? I read that there are 1 or 2 small spots in the addition they're planning on leasing. 

Also, is it confirmed that The Post - East coffee/bakery/juice bar is going diagonally across from Olive and Sinclair @ 1701 Fatherland? 

Thanks again

Have you heard any rumblings about additional tenants in the Olive and Sinclair space? I read that there are 1 or 2 small spots in the addition they're planning on leasing. 

Also, is it confirmed that The Post - East coffee/bakery/juice bar is going diagonally across from Olive and Sinclair @ 1701 Fatherland? 

Thanks again

Quick FYI - our forum names are just above the "location" types, which is based on the number of posts we have made... crossroads, Hamlet, etc are all levels based on # of posts.

• Like 2

Quick FYI - our names are just above the "location" types based on the number of posts we have made...

LOL, I was thinking about writing a post for this too!  We're not being conceited, but many people make the same mistake when they first come here!  It's just an FYI!  Maybe we should ask the admin to look into this as the forum names may be hard to see.  But, they probably would have to do a full website redesign, which more than likely isn't happening! 

LOL, I was thinking about writing a post for this too!  We're not being conceited, but many people make the same mistake when they first come here!  It's just an FYI!  Maybe we should ask the admin to look into this as the forum names may be hard to see.  But, they probably would have to do a full website redesign, which more than likely isn't happening! 

No way, Burg, It's pretty easy to see man. Just gotta let your eyes do some work! LOL.

Yeah but seriously, even changing the font up a size might do the trick and clear up some of that initial confusion.

• Like 1

Thanks again

I haven't heard about additional retail tenants at the Olive and Sinclair space.  I suppose that anything is possible.  But I think that their space is going to be part manufacturing, part retail, and possibly part restaurant/cafe, all part of Olive and Sinclair.

I also had not heard about The Post-East going across from Olive and Sinclair.  Do you mean in the strip of vintage buildings where the stained glass gallery used to be?  That would be a good spot for a coffee shop-type of business. 

Hey, Brett, any update on the proposed development at Hobson UMC?  Thanks.

I have heard nothing definitive about Hobson in a few months.  There is an eery silence.  But I have spoken to other developers about other projects, and some of them have told me that they are hearing that everything is still in negotiations with the most recent proposal.  Sometimes things take time.  But this one is far from a done deal.  The SP has not yet been filed to prompt the next layer of public hearings.

The Porter/Eastland cottage development that I have discussed previously will be heard at next week's Planning Commission hearing. There is another East Nashville cottage development application at the same hearing. This proposal is for property at Douglas/Montgomery (north side of Douglas, just west of the Ellington and the railroad tracks) to include 28 townhomes and one office space on the corner.

I guess that area would be Highland Heights? Cleveland Park is south of Douglas. But this proposal would help to continue that redevelopment/revitalization from McFerrin Park northward through Cleveland Park and up across Douglas toward Trinity.

Anyone think The Roxy has a chance of getting any traction? http://savetheroxy.org/

They do. One of the guys in charge of the guerilla-revitalizing that has been going on there popped in at one of our recent meets. They have a lot of things lined up, and it's a really cool project. I have faith in it...

• Like 2

Mixed use developing proposed for that spot at 10th/Shelby.  Here is a link to the write-up from the MHZC, including proposed renderings  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2013%20Meetings/11%20November%202013/SR%20918%20Shelby%20Av.pdf

Shelby Ave / South 10th St

Random question, does anyone know if anything happened here, and if there are any development plans in the near future? Seems like it could be a nice little spot

http://goo.gl/maps/WGa6b

Thanks!

In other East Nashville develoment news, the 11-unit cottage development at Porter/Eastland and the 29-unit cottage development in the 700 block of Douglas were both approved on consent at yesterday's Planning hearing. I was there to testify in support of the Porter/Eastland proposal but nothing was pulled from the consent agenda so I didn't have to speak. Both rezonings will now proceed to the council and will have a public hearing at the second reading.