Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

That building looks like a restroom structure in a public park.  It's a shame that a turd like that has people fighting to keep it standing, but buildings like the antebellum home at 1 Music Square West and The Mayfair were just plowed over without a second thought.  Then again, I guess that has more to do with the owners of the property proceeding with a quick demolition rather than a lack of care from the general public. 

That building looks like a restroom structure in a public park.  It's a shame that a turd like that has people fighting to keep it standing, but buildings like the antebellum home at 1 Music Square West and The Mayfair were just plowed over without a second thought.  Then again, I guess that has more to do with the owners of the property proceeding with a quick demolition rather than a lack of care from the general public. 

You've hit on the irony.    It comes down to the property owners - well, and protective zoning, but the property owners have to approve that initially.   We're in a white hot market and at some point the dollars outweigh the owners' good intentions.    Unfortunately, there are still numerous properties that are of historical significance (or are at least contributing examples of quality construction from 50 -100 years ago) that are at risk, including the row of buildings directly across Division from 1 Music Square, the Keeble building (UMPH), Cordell Hull, the Stockyard building, etc.     For every No Dog that is saved by a benevolent developer, a Mayfair or Hamilton house comes down.     

• Like 2

The general public should have no say in such matters. Each of these choices, right or wrong, was made by the rightful property owner(s)... not the general public. This is how it should be, IMO.

The general public should have no say in such matters. Each of these choices, right or wrong, was made by the rightful property owner(s)... not the general public. This is how it should be, IMO.

To an extent.  Once an antebellum home is in a position like Hamilton was, you would think there would be some kind of way to protect the historic structure and still help out the homeowner.  I wonder if the homeowner even tried to see if there was a way to save the structure and make a buck?

I am all for a mutually beneficial partnership. Of course coercion does not make for a true partnership.

Per a post in the Virgin thread, the 1 Music Sq West property owner had been struggling with upkeep and finding a buyer. It is one thing if an existing property owner voluntarily asked for a restrictive zoning overlay. They knowingly take the hit (if any) in value when they sell the property and the new buyers knowingly accepts the restrictions....other than that scenario I do not believe in government pressure to 'do the right thing'...

Edited by Guest

Don't think anyone's advocating that the general public should have a say in individual property rights. The property owners decide for themselves to implement protective zoning, on the theory that a property located in a cohesive neighborhood of historic structures will hold its value better than a stand alone historic structure surrounded by new construction, or a hodge podge of old and new.

If you own a Van Gogh and don't particularly care for Van Gogh, you're free to sell it or you're free to throw darts at it. It's yours. If I'm an art dealer, I might be furious with you for destroying something that can't be replaced. If you own an antebellum house, you're free to sell it to anyone you want, for as much as you can get. If you sell it to a developer who tears it down, the members of the public who value historic houses are free to be pissed off at you and the developer.

I would like to ask that we be more respectful of others, especially with all the newer members we are attracting to this board. That "restroom in a public park" was built by the late husband of Joy Ford. She has stated for years that she does not care what happens to the property after she passes away. Until that time comes, this recording studio is the emotional bond she has with her late husband.

CenterHill, totally agree with you but I wanted to say my peace because the subject had arisen in two threads. I am all for win-win arraignments between property owners and the neighborhood where available.

Edited by Guest

I would like to ask that we be more respectful of others, especially with all the newer members we are attracting to this board. That "restroom in a public park" was built by the late husband of Joy Ford. She has stated for years that she does not care what happens to the property after she passes away. Until that time comes, this recording studio is the emotional bond she has with her late husband.

Normally I'd be on board with this sentiment, but I'm talking about a building, not Joy Ford, who I'm sure is a lovely woman that has every right to fight for her property.  If you're suggesting that nobody should ever voice any critical opinion about anything ever because someone, somewhere might take offense to it, then I'll have to disagree. 

The story of her tiny building and the new building that surrounds it is actually something to celebrate.  She had her property, privately owned, and the government and its citizens were not allowed to take it from her to use on another privately owned venture.

Also...the owners surrounding her were able to exercise their freedom and sell their land...and someone developed all the land around her.  So...all property owners won.

Yes...it looks ridiculous in many ways...but maybe we should actually look at it as a beautiful sign that we still live in a country where we have some rights that haven't been taken away.

Anybody heard about potential development of the MasterMix studio on Division, across from the Hill development housing Two Boots Pizza?  Although the new owner announced that the tenant would remain, it appears that they may be moving out, and the dumpster has been removed.

Anybody heard about potential development of the MasterMix studio on Division, across from the Hill development housing Two Boots Pizza?  Although the new owner announced that the tenant would remain, it appears that they may be moving out, and the dumpster has been removed.

That one is news to me.

So much happening, I am having real trouble keeping track of everything.  That is with a spread sheet too.

IMO Division street between Buckingham project and Virgin Hotel could gain a few large apartment buildings because even though Loser's bar,Winner's bar and Rebar are very busy popular establishments they could easily be located on the bottom floor of a tower with outdoor seating. But require any new tower to add extra spaces in the parking garage to absorb the bar traffic. I know, who would want to live over a bar scene? STUDENTS!

I made this map for our neighborhood association, but I thought some on here might find it interesting. You all know what is included on it, but most people don't keep up with the developments and it was informative for them.  It includes all of the major developments in close proximity to our neighborhood. I don't mean to step on Ron's toes with an additional map, but his is much, much more comprehensive than this and serves a much larger role.  In a couple years when all of these projects are completed this area will be transformed. Somewhere in the range of 2500-3000 additional residents, 400-500 hotel rooms, a new office building, and several areas of retail will all be here then. I predict it will become more walkable than it already is, and I'm sure there will be additional projects announced in the future.

CroppedEVmap_zpse01ea8c6.jpg

1. 1 Music Sq W – Virgin Hotel – Proposed to have 240 hotel rooms with retail. Unknown height.
2. 1505 Demonbreun – Faison Developers – 209 apartments, 7 stories.
3. 1515 Demonbreun – Childress-Klein Properties – 380 Apartments, 18 stories
4. 18th & Chet Atkins – Artisan on 18th – Stonehenge Dev Group – 153 apartments 6 stories
5. 19th & Chest Atkins – Lennar Multifamily – 18 story apartment development with retail
6. 17th & Grand – Music Square Flats – 230 apartments, 7 stories, no planned retail
7. 16th & Chet Atkins – SESAC headquarters – office, 5 stories
8. Division St & I-40 – Crescent Development – 6 stories, apartments and retail
9. Division & Broadway split – Buckingham Dev – Hotel, retail, residential, 18 stories

• Like 4

Your map could also include the proposed EdgeVue project at 12th/Archer that will demolish the brick barracks apartment buildings and create 18 lots for new residential. There is also an interesting smaller infill project on Hawkins just west of 12th. 

Edited by bwithers1

I made this map for our neighborhood association, but I thought some on here might find it interesting. You all know what is included on it, but most people don't keep up with the developments and it was informative for them.  It includes all of the major developments in close proximity to our neighborhood. I don't mean to step on Ron's toes with an additional map, but his is much, much more comprehensive than this and serves a much larger role.  In a couple years when all of these projects are completed this area will be transformed. Somewhere in the range of 2500-3000 additional residents, 400-500 hotel rooms, a new office building, and several areas of retail will all be here then. I predict it will become more walkable than it already is, and I'm sure there will be additional projects announced in the future.

CroppedEVmap_zpse01ea8c6.jpg

1. 1 Music Sq W – Virgin Hotel – Proposed to have 240 hotel rooms with retail. Unknown height.2. 1505 Demonbreun – Faison Developers – 209 apartments, 7 stories.3. 1515 Demonbreun – Childress-Klein Properties – 380 Apartments, 18 stories4. 18th & Chet Atkins – Artisan on 18th – Stonehenge Dev Group – 153 apartments 6 stories5. 19th & Chest Atkins – Lennar Multifamily – 18 story apartment development with retail6. 17th & Grand – Music Square Flats – 230 apartments, 7 stories, no planned retail7. 16th & Chet Atkins – SESAC headquarters – office, 5 stories8. Division St & I-40 – Crescent Development – 6 stories, apartments and retail9. Division & Broadway split – Buckingham Dev – Hotel, retail, residential, 18 stories

No toes stepped on. I know there is more to come. There are a couple more that have not been announced and I will not say where. There is also the Phoenix group project at 17th & McGavock.