Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

I am with you to an extent.  But I am a single person with no kids.  And even though I both live and work in Nashville, my work location is not in a public-transit or even bike-lane-conducive area.  So as much as I would like to take public transit to work, that's not a very viable option.  And even if I did take the bus, my morning commute is a nightmare zig-zag back-street maze trying to get around school zones, whereas public transit goes right through the school zones and encounters significant delays and traffic. 

Even as walkable as East Nashville is, the Gallatin/Eastland intersection is a traffic nightmare in the evenings.  That backs up for over a half mile during evening rush hour.  And Eastland Ave itself is about to become as bad as Hillsboro.  So that gets me crazy and I don't have to worry about picking up the kids from daycare by 6:00 PM or facing late fees.

But the reality is that most families who are buying into the Urban Core are now having to pay at least $250K for even a smaller house/unit.  So that generally means that they have to have two incomes to cover the mortgage/rent.  And it is also unfortunately the case that the majority of professional jobs in Nashville are located outside of that urban core.  And so one or both of them are having to commute somewhere to work that is not easily accessible by public transportation.  Then there is the issue of schools/daycare/extracurricular activites to get the kids to/from by certain times that may not lend themselves to public transportation, either. 

So for most families in the urban core, having one if not two cars in the family is still very much an absolute necessity for the work aspect.  They may walk to nearby restaurants et al, but odds are they aren't walking to work and they darned sure aren't walking the kids to daycare.  Therefore, it is very, very important for Metro to make plans to accomodate traffic in a very coordinated way or noone will be getting anywhere anytime soon.  Then all of that convenience for urban living goes out the window and you might as well live and work in the suburbs.

That's the problem.  See Austin, TX.

When does Nashville's urban core population stop worrying about density and traffic studies. If you buy into living in a compact area like I do in downtown Franklin then walking around town is the easier way. Think before you decided where to live, work, and play it's only going to become more dense.  Which makes me happy!

• Like 1

A timely piece from the NBJ on a BRT line through downtown. Repeating myself... this needs to be a loop encompassing Charlotte to 15th to Hayes (make Hayes dedicated at transit only) to 21st Avenue to Grand to Music Square East to the Roundabout to Division to 8th Avenue to the Roundabout and KVB, on to 5th Avenue and on to the Transit Center at Charlotte.  I just think it makes so much sense to establish the route for a "would be" rail line in the future.  And the beauty of it all is that it completely bypasses Beaman (yes, there is a little accessibility at the Music Row roundabout).  

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/06/gulch-planners-nashville-core-needs-an-amp-type.html

Here is an article by WW from yesterday's Post.  Construction on a new one story building for Avis rental car agency is about to begin.  That news in and of itself is not very interesting.  What is interesting is that this move, presumably, means that demolition of the OLD Avis building on Church St. can move forward once this structure is complete, which might mean that Tony's 17 story proposal on that site might have some legs after all.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/6/5/work_to_soon_start_on_new_midtown_avis_building

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever seen this or know anything about it? It's listed on their site as a current project.

http://blueriverdevelopment.com/property/nashville-development-site/

The Nashville Development Site is a 1.4 acre mixed-use site located at the intersection of Broadway and 17th Avenue at the gateway to Nashville’s famed Music Row, the epicenter of the city’s booming music industry. This outstanding high rise development site is a partnership of Royal/Kennedy Nashville, LLC.

• LocationNashville, Tennessee 
  • Size1.4 acres 
  • TypeCommercial 
  • ArchitectSmallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Assoc. 
  • StatusPlanning phase 

project0.jpg

project1.jpg

Edited by mirydi

Has anyone ever seen this or know anything about it? It's listed on their site as a current project.

http://blueriverdevelopment.com/property/nashville-development-site/

The Nashville Development Site is a 1.4 acre mixed-use site located at the intersection of Broadway and 17th Avenue at the gateway to Nashville’s famed Music Row, the epicenter of the city’s booming music industry. This outstanding high rise development site is a partnership of Royal/Kennedy Nashville, LLC.

• LocationNashville, Tennessee 
  • Size1.4 acres 
  • TypeCommercial 
  • ArchitectSmallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Assoc. 
  • StatusPlanning phase 

project0.jpg

project1.jpg

This was a proposal from about 7 years ago. As far as I know, it is a dead project.

I'll take your word for it.  In my opinion, In N Out is super overrated.  :shok:

Let me clarify, im not saying they have the same style of food....more along the lines of the same type of "cult" following.

Cookout offers Cheerwine Floats and my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

• Like 1

I'll take your word for it.  In my opinion, In N Out is super overrated.  :shok:

My partner and I tried In N Out when we were just in Vegas with a friend from LA. The friend from LA was raving about it, but we both found it overrated as well. Solid burger and good fries, but hardly the life-changing fast food experience like some folks make it out. 

• Like 2

My partner and I tried In N Out when we were just in Vegas with a friend from LA. The friend from LA was raving about it, but we both found it overrated as well. Solid burger and good fries, but hardly the life-changing fast food experience like some folks make it out. 

Couldn't agree more.  It wasn't bad, but I mean, so you put Thousand Island on your burgers.  So what? 

Well, that's the thing about In-N-Out. It's certainly not the best burger you will ever have, but it's a solid burger.....especially for fast food. And it's good everytime. That's why they have the cult following. True, it gets blown out of proportion by people thinking it's somehow life changing (it's not). But when you're faced with the delima of McDonalds vs. In-N-Out, the winner is quite clear every time.

Edited by nashvillwill

They've had a Cook Out just off campus of UT in Knoxville for a few years now. It was decent at 2 a.m. after a night of beers and you can't beat the price but as soon as you taste the food you'll stop wondering how they can afford to make their prices so low. The shakes are decent though.