Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

OK, this one is thanks to Hey Hey. He let me know and I let William know. This is behind the pay wall and is one that I said you would like. Lennar is planning a 17 story mixed use tower at the NE corner of 19th & Chet Atkins. This will be right next to the Stonehenge project now under construction.

The site is currently zoned for 10 stories and would have to redone. They are planning 300 units.

Behind pay wall.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/3/developer_eyes_17_story_mixed_use_building_for_midtown

I have the perfect name for this one... Utility View Tower, for all the power lines and poles at that corner.

That seems to be a problem all over Nashville. Right in front of 1212, there are power lines tarnishing the buildings looks. Metro really needs to get on the ball and move these to the rear of the buildings or underground.

That seems to be a problem all over Nashville. Right in front of 1212, there are power lines tarnishing the buildings looks. Metro really needs to get on the ball and move these to the rear of the buildings or underground.

Wrong.  Metro would have to pass the cost of doing that onto all of the NES electric bill payers.  Sorry, but as much as I hate to see above-ground power lines, I am not willing to quadruple my electric bill so that folks investing in shiny new luxury buildings can have clean site lines.  NES is perfectly willing to move utilities or put them underground, but the developers need to pay to have that done and roll that up into their proformas.  I suspect that the developers are making enough profits on these buildings as they are.  If removing the utility lines is such an amenity, let them pay for it and roll that into their pricing.

Now, I do believe that Metro needs to require that the larger new developments, and particularly new subdivisions, have underground utilities, but again, the developers need to put that cost into their bottom line, not onto my electric bill.

Having said that, getting NES to move a utilility pole is one thing.  It's pricey but doable.  But moving/removing the telephone lines, which tend to hang closer to the street, is another matter altogether.  Sometimes NES and the telephone utilities share a pole, and when NES moves their lines to a new pole or underground, the city is still waiting months and months for the telephone people to get their act together.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 4

Amen to that!!!  My modest townhome community (from the mid-1980s) has underground utilities that were installed by the developer.  If Frank Batson, as a homebuilder, could put the wires underground in 1983, I know that todays deep-pocketed developers could do so, if it were important to their bottom lines!

Amen to that!!!  My modest townhome community (from the mid-1980s) has underground utilities that were installed by the developer.  If Frank Batson, as a homebuilder, could put the wires underground in 1983, I know that todays deep-pocketed developers could do so, if it were important to their bottom lines!

I haven't surveyed every new development, but all that I am familiar with have underground lines on property they control.  The problem is the surrounding area, right?

Here is an article from William at the Post. I just hope the renderings are not what will be built there. That is another project, but I would much rather see something a little more classical looking.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/3/27/modernist_row_homes_targeted_for_midtown

OMFG!  Are they seriously going to be allowed to put front-loading garages in Midtown?  Let's just load up one of our most dense areas with surburban crap.  From a suburban developer who puts up suburban crap in Green Hills.  Because that is totally the same feel that people are going for in Midtown, right?  I am amazed that this is allowed in the UDO that was passed.  Shocked, stunned and amazed.  Nashville never, ever, ever ceases to amaze or disappoint me.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Brett, what does OMFG! mean?    J/K. I agree with you!

Thanks.  Even if this is not what gets built on Hayes Street - now that I read more closely I get that these are from Melrose - it just goes to show that this developer doesn't seem to get the city vibe at all.  No wonder 12South/Melrose is itching for an Overlay.  These folks may need to stay in the 'burbs.

The way i read that article was that the picture was an example of two units in Melrose, not the renderings for this project. They may be very similar, but don't give up hope of something better just yet.

Thanks for calming me down!  I need a cigarette and I'm allergic to them.

Thanks.  Even if this is not what gets built on Hayes Street - now that I read more closely I get that these are from Melrose - it just goes to show that this developer doesn't seem to get the city vibe at all.  No wonder 12South/Melrose is itching for an Overlay.  These folks may need to stay in the 'burbs.

Thanks for calming me down!  I need a cigarette and I'm allergic to them.

Aren't these the row houses on Hayes?  I don't think they look so bad (stucco though!!) In the rendering, it looks like the brick apartment building next door.Hayes%20Street.png

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/3/27/modernist_row_homes_targeted_for_midtown

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

Still doesn't look like it would be worth $799,000 per unit!

There are penthouse units in the Viridian, Encore, Terazzo, and other buildings that you could get for that price or less.

I guess there is a market for people who want to pay that amount for a three story townhome facing a parking garage.

I would rather have a view of the city, or a mansion in Franklin for that price....just saying.

Still doesn't look like it would be worth $799,000 per unit!

There are penthouse units in the Viridian, Encore, Terazzo, and other buildings that you could get for that price or less.

I guess there is a market for people who want to pay that amount for a three story townhome facing a parking garage.

I would rather have a view of the city, or a mansion in Franklin for that price....just saying.

The only 3BR available in any of those buildings is $1.75 million in Terrazzo. Encore has a 2BR/3BA for $870,000. I used a 3br to compare because I assume that's what these new ones will have.