Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

Looks as if we have lost another historic building. The location was 1 Music Square W. This is the old mansion on the right on 17th coming off the roundabout. This is really sad. Again, there is no historic overlay in this area.

Demo permit was issued yesterday and it is rubble today. This was owned by the Hamilton family.

This is also the location of a project that was announced back in 07.

Here was the story then.

https://nashvillepost.com/news/2007/8/15/52_million_music_row_office_condo_project_moving_forward

Holy crap ! That house was built in 1845 ! It was featured in the 1974 book, Nashville: A Short History & Selected Buildings. This really is outrageous that such a antebellum house was demolished like it's nothing.

• Like 3

Holy crap ! That house was built in 1845 ! It was featured in the 1974 book, Nashville: A Short History & Selected Buildings. This really is outrageous that such a antebellum house was demolished like it's nothing.

That's really tragic. I understand that we can't save them all...but there's a big difference between a bungalow here or there and an antebellum house. Some developers really have zero respect for history.

• Like 3

The family still owned it too. That is what makes it even more sad. This was their own history. I am afraid the house next to it may have the same fate as their were utility markings there as well.

I am going to bite my tongue. What I really feel about the piece of trash that demolished this majestic beauty is probably not appropriate for this message board. All I gotta say is that something amazing BETTER be built here...

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

I am going to bite my tongue. What I really feel about the piece of trash that demolished this majestic beauty is probably not appropriate for this message board. All I gotta say is that something amazing BETTER be built here...

I am with you. Isn't it interesting we were just talking about a historic overlay for this area. There are a few buildings that are not old but historic and not protected, such as Studio B. Music Row along with several other areas need these overlays.

How about Bwithers for councilman or at least a spot on the Historic Commission. He has a lot more knowledge and desire to preserve our history than most people out there. Brett you would be great.

• Like 1

I am with you. Isn't it interesting we were just talking about a historic overlay for this area. There are a few buildings that are not old but historic and not protected, such as Studio B. Music Row along with several other areas need these overlays.

How about Bwithers for councilman or at least a spot on the Historic Commission. He has a lot more knowledge and desire to preserve our history than most people out there. Brett you would be great.

Bwithers and FMDJ both would both be great picks for the Historic Commission! 

I'm pretty stunned that there was zero regard for this building.  It's almost as if they knew there'd be a fight from people if their plans were announced, so they just took the wrecking ball to it as soon as possible.  Does this count as a crime against humanity?  It should.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Ive been worried about this house. I saw three guys around the front steps yesterday and I got a little worried. Looks like that was appropriately place worry. I think this is why overlays are important. While I wish this house was still standing, I understand why the family did it. If you were the heirs of this house and were middle class, tearing this house down and developing it has the chance to change your family's outlook for a long time.  There's no doubt that whatever they build there will generate more income than what was standing there until today. What they did today may very well allow their children or grandchildren to go to college without debt (or maybe the family is already rich and they'll buy a new Italian sports car).

One of the biggest hurdles to getting these houses covered in an overlay is that it will decrease a property's value in the short term (I know long term you can make a strong argument that overlays raise values).  Why would a landowner want to do that?  Maybe Nashville needs to explore some sort of program whereby owners are paid to sell their development rights.  There is a program in and around Lexington that protects old horse farms from being developed by paying the owners to sell their rights to do anything with that land other than have it as farmland. Maybe Nashville could approach the owners of some of these architecturally significant houses and offer to pay them $500,000 to give up their rights to ever do anything with their property without MHZC approval.

There really needs to be some research into the Music Row area and find out what is worth keeping for the future...whether it be antebellum homes or historically significant structures due to music...before it's too late.  Some have already been destroyed, or are about to be destroyed.  I'm not sure if anything can be done or not....but it's sad to see things like this house bulldozed. 

Shouldn't structures that can be associated with Hank Williams...George Jones...Kris Kristoferson...Reba McEntire...even George Strait or Garth Brooks...at least be looked at with an eye to the future so that generations down the road can see where some of their music history took place.  And...that's whether you like country music...or not.

There really needs to be some research into the Music Row area and find out what is worth keeping for the future...whether it be antebellum homes or historically significant structures due to music...before it's too late.  Some have already been destroyed, or are about to be destroyed.  I'm not sure if anything can be done or not....but it's sad to see things like this house bulldozed. 

Shouldn't structures that can be associated with Hank Williams...George Jones...Kris Kristoferson...Reba McEntire...even George Strait or Garth Brooks...at least be looked at with an eye to the future so that generations down the road can see where some of their music history took place.  And...that's whether you like country music...or

My point exactly. Todays present is tomorrows history.

The family still owned it too. That is what makes it even more sad. This was their own history. I am afraid the house next to it may have the same fate as their were utility markings there as well.

It's been 20+ years since I worked on Music Row, but I seem to remember that house used to be pretty rundown before somebody put a lot of money into restoring it and turning it into a real beauty. Wasn't there a law firm there at one time? I always assumed they owned it and restored it..  had no idea it was a family's historic property.

The law firm [mine] was across the street.

I find this discussion interesting when juxtaposed to the concurrent discussion on the proposed 17 story mixed-use project just down the street at 19th and Division.  The attitude there is that opposition is NIMBY-ism, despite the property being covered by an overlay/ This is not to say that that opinion is wrong, but I can't quite distinguish the basis for the difference in attitude.

Looks as if we have lost another historic building. The location was 1 Music Square W. This is the old mansion on the right on 17th coming off the roundabout. This is really sad. Again, there is no historic overlay in this area.

Demo permit was issued yesterday and it is rubble today. This was owned by the Hamilton family.

I'm stunned!!     I hadn't checked this board since this was posted and just happened to drive by there this morning.    I almost crashed the car when I saw this historic mansion in rubble.      WHAT THE HELL???    

It is going to be something fairly big as I hear they are going to announce it in the WSJ in the next few days. The other two houses are going to be torn down as well.

just found article, It is going to be a luxury Virgin Hotel -RIchard Branson's one of three, after New York and Chicago. 240 rooms, open in 2016

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626304579507460321854286

Virgin Hotels will manage the hotel, which is being developed by Nashville-based D.F. Chase Inc.

Virgin Hotels Chief Executive Raul Leal said the Nashville hotel will have 30 suites, a rooftop bar and restaurant, a spa and will feature a professional recording studio available to guests. 

We just got our high end/high profile luxury hotel

Edited by leggy77
  • Like 1

The law firm [mine] was across the street.

I find this discussion interesting when juxtaposed to the concurrent discussion on the proposed 17 story mixed-use project just down the street at 19th and Division.  The attitude there is that opposition is NIMBY-ism, despite the property being covered by an overlay/ This is not to say that that opinion is wrong, but I can't quite distinguish the basis for the difference in attitude.

Well...there just has to be some common sense, at times.  You would think a home on Music Row built in 1845 (or whatever date it was) would be considered a historic property that is protected from demolition...but I guess we're finding out it's not protected.

I'm all for capitalism...but there still needs to be some effort to keep some of our past alive and not just bulldoze everything in an effort to make "New Nashville."  There has to be some kind of give and take.

• Like 4

Well...I have to say...if you're going to demolish a historic home, I guess building a Virgin Hotel and being one of only 3 in the world at the moment is a pretty big splash.

Wonder how tall this thing will be?

http://www.musicrow.com/2014/04/virgin-hotel-coming-to-music-row/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=virgin-hotel-coming-to-music-row

• Like 1

Well...I have to say...if you're going to demolish a historic home, I guess building a Virgin Hotel and being one of only 3 in the world at the moment is a pretty big splash.

Wonder how tall this thing will be?

http://www.musicrow.com/2014/04/virgin-hotel-coming-to-music-row/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=virgin-hotel-coming-to-music-row

It really depends if they have more structures to tear down. I would hate to lose another historic building, but we just do not know. I think the building that was next to the mansion was part of the property as there were utility markings there as well. Also depends if there is underground parking or a pedestal building constructed. Just too many variable at the point. I am not even sure what the area is zoned for as far as height.

I haven't been able to check the board in a couple days.  I hopped on excited about Richard Branson coming to town, then I saw they had mowed down a home that I admired almost daily!!  What a let down, surely this home could have been moved into one of the surrounding neighborhoods.

• Like 2

About the only thing anyone has done right on Music Row is RCA (now Sony) buying the "Home for the Aged" building at 17 & 18th and Horton and re-purposing it as record label offices...giving it a second life.  Too bad this antebellum home couldn't have been re-used.

Dare I say.....Guitar Shaped Tower??

LINK 

Oh wow.  You could be right.

• Like 1