BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

16 hours ago, titanhog said:

I think we'd all be happy if he would just sell the land to another developer.

That is what we want, but Alex has always been tenacious so he will hold on to this as long as he can. He probably could have sold this a long while back, but "pride goeth before the fall..."

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 3

In any case, he had better do something in the next 6 months or he is going to be in trouble. If the stock market slowdown, the weak Chinese economy, and low oil prices are any indication, he may never build on this, or even sell it.

This is an example of why not to excavate on spec. This was maybe the worst boneheaded decision ever and now he has to live with it. The city has to live with it. It's embarrassing and dangerous. The city should take him to court to make him fill the hole. He excavated this in 2007. That was 9 years ago. He first started proposals on this in 1998. That was 18 years ago. 

There is really no excuse for this debacle that has stained the fabric of midtown going on a decade.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Paramount747 said:

In any case, he had better do something in the next 6 months or he is going to be in trouble. If the stock market slowdown, the weak Chinese economy, and low oil prices are any indication, he may never build on this, or even sell it.

This is an example of why not to excavate on spec. This was maybe the worst boneheaded decision ever and now he has to live with it. The city has to live with it. It's embarrassing and dangerous. The city should take him to court to make him fill the hole. He excavated this in 2007. That was 9 years ago. He first started proposals on this in 1998. That was 18 years ago. 

There is really no excuse for this debacle that has stained the fabric of midtown going on a decade.

I think he is already in trouble and it will get worse the longer it sits. ASP has missed several opportunities to develop this land, because of a series of missteps and shall I dare say arrogance.

5 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Kinda off topic, but is the hole for the Chicago Spire still there as well? I think that hole was dug in 2008.

According to this, yup. A nice circular pond.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chicago+Spire,+Chicago,+IL+60611/@41.8900906,-87.6144005,19z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x880e2b56a122f037:0xe4cf8752eb38c98e

• Like 1

Saw that while riding on Lower Lakeshore, a good while back.  And even though there's no big round "scary hole" as that, there's also a waste of land on the other side of the Lakeshore Dr. drawbridge, just south of Lower Wacker.  And there's yet another one that has puzzled me for almost 20 years ─ the emply waste basin at Stetson and Water St (and East Lake St.), although it is smaller.  I realize that all that's flood-plain territory, requiring structures' main ground levels to be elevated, but it's just too much void way too long, for any size core district.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny paragraph from Sichko's report in NBJ:  Today, the mostly excavated site has collected enough water that Google Mapsthinks there's an actual lake there. Last month, Metro granted a permit necessary for Palmer to pump the water from the site. That will take three to four months. The work has not yet begun.

• 1 month later...