BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

I don't know what's going on here... but I suspect Palmer has gone back to the drawing board (literally).  With two substantial leases in hand... and an agreement to anchor the hotel... I would expect he is testing waters to make this a significantly larger project than what we've seen so far.

I don't know what's going on here... but I suspect Palmer has gone back to the drawing board (literally).  With two substantial leases in hand... and an agreement to anchor the hotel... I would expect he is testing waters to make this a significantly larger project than what we've seen so far.

I would assume he has also. While it could be done, I doubt he would recycle a 10 or so year old design, especially given the needs of the tenants.  The hotel also throws in a problem with the current design.  Hopefully we'll get something similar to the original (height wise).

That's a very likely scenario because there's just no way the "rendering" we've seen is or can be the final product.

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

That's a very likely scenario because there's just no way the "rendering" we've seen is or can be the final product.

I hope it's not.

• Like 1

Hopefully we'll get something similar to the original (height wise).

I do think it will end up a little taller. I'm still wondering if they are definitely going with the 3 tower design with a stand-alone hotel, or if the footprint would be better served by stacking the hotel on one of the towers.

I don't think it will get back to the ~400 foot range of the original plan...but who knows? My guess would be something in the range of 300-350 ft, and about 25 stories (for at least one tower).

On a side note...driving across Shelby St. on the east side, you can see the top of Palmer Plaza between the Broadway gap in the skyline. I imagine that once constructed, you should be able to see these towers even more prominently. If I'm not mistaken, WES will sit slightly higher (on West End Ave) than Palmer Plaza.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite vantage points during the daytime drive.  That particular view really does give one a sense of the depth of Nashville's built environment with Palmer Plaza visible at quite a distance from the LP Field area.  It allows one to momentarily forget the fast parking lots, car dealerships, and interstate ramps that stand between Palmer Plaza and the downtown buildings.  I am looking forward to seeing West End Summit fill in more of that gap in the distance.

On a side note...driving across Shelby St. on the east side, you can see the top of Palmer Plaza between the Broadway gap in the skyline. I imagine that once constructed, you should be able to see these towers even more prominently. If I'm not mistaken, WES will sit slightly higher (on West End Ave) than Palmer Plaza.

I'm wondering what's going on with the West End Summit project.  They are losing a lot of construction time and it seems unlikely they will be able to meet the projected 2015 opening date.  Even if there is a re-design to accommodate the hotel, it would seem that foundation work would be well underway by this point.   

Most likely permitting issues. Word is Metro is way behind at the moment with so many projects going up at once. The Hilton Garden Inn on 3rd and Almond has been delayed in permits since February when demolition ceased. It was supposed to have started in May or June and as of Monday, no dirt has been moved five months after demolition.

• Like 1

In the City Paper today: 

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/7/10/midtown_shell_to_be_razed_rebuilt

"Of note, Alex S. Palmer & Company is undertaking its West End Summit project on land fronting West End Avenue and located across 17th from the station. Palmer & Co. officials are on record as saying they are searching for a site near WES and on which they can develop another office building."

Can they get WES going first before they start another project. LOL!!!

• Like 4

And, you know, not having a tarnished record of development might help too.

I'm not so sure I would call his reputation tarnished. The guy started a project on speculation, the bubble burst, and he did the financially wise thing and stopped all work. But he held the land and here we are a decade later, and he is going to complete the project. And make a pretty penny off of it for that matter. I think that's a classic example of 'know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em'. He may be slightly tarnished in the public laymans eye, but professionally, I think that makes a wise developer.

If anyone should be considered tarnished, it's Tony G. That guy can't get anything built. Great, so he has this proposed marriot. Signature=fail. 505=fail. Sobro=crickets. Now he's getting public money for a project, but I still feel skeptical that it will happen.

I'm not so sure I would call his reputation tarnished. The guy started a project on speculation, the bubble burst, and he did the financially wise thing and stopped all work. But he held the land and here we are a decade later, and he is going to complete the project. And make a pretty penny off of it for that matter. I think that's a classic example of 'know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em'. He may be slightly tarnished in the public laymans eye, but professionally, I think that makes a wise developer.

If anyone should be considered tarnished, it's Tony G. That guy can't get anything built. Great, so he has this proposed marriot. Signature=fail. 505=fail. Sobro=crickets. Now he's getting public money for a project, but I still feel skeptical that it will happen.

A little hard on Tony don't you think? Projects completed or under construction:

1) Encore

2) Viridian

3) Cumberland

4) Bennie Dillion Rehabilitation

5) Belle Meade Harris Teeter, Office Suites, and Condos

6) Park 25, now Park Central

7 New apartment on Ellliston

Seven Projects and he failed? Signature had $100,000,000 in contracts signed, then 2008 happened. Ted Kromer and construction officials have been on the Sobro site walking the site, and core drilling has been completed. The Sobro was not to start construction until 2014. 505 CST was not to start construction until 2015. The hotel next to Encore was not ever given a construction date.

So Tony is a failure? He also owns Premier Parking with over 80 lots in 3 states. He is a failure?

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite
  • Like 2