Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Bridsong's cans do look great!

Related to the trend that is apparent in both new packaging formats (the skyline and "Brewed in CLT"), I think its time to aggressively promote the "Charlotte craft-beer brand." I think we have reached enough critical mass, and we have a solid enough reputation with the regional (and perhaps national) craft-beer community that Charlotte can rightfully be promoted as a beer city in much the same way Asheville is (honestly I think we make better beer than Asheville does).

Wouldn't it be great if Charlotte was known just as much for its beer as for NASCAR? Honestly I think that is achievable if someone got behind the effort -- I think it will take some combination of the CRVA, Chamber and a local brewers organization.

Disclaimer, but I don't know nuthin about PR n stuff.  

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article16456745.html

Bulldog beer and wine opening a second location. No details yet on the actual location but the owner has the lease in hand. I don't go here often but when I have, it has always been a good time, and as a former english bulldog owner, love playing with the bullies on site!

There is also another bottle shop planning to open a south CLT location but I am sworn to secrecy on that...for now...

Made it to the private open for Birdsong last night (their grand opening is today) - I'm really impressed with the new space. They gain a ton of much needed space without the tap room feeling disproportionally big; it has a great feel and layout. The bar tops are beautifully done with reclaimed wood. They also designed the high top tables in a way I found to be kind of brilliant from a space planning standpoint, the shape of the tables allows lots of different configurations and sizes of groups, so you could be with one person or ten and find a comfortable spot. They also have a great outdoor patio space along Davidson and a new event space.

All around I think it'll prove to be a fantastic move for them, and hopefully it will prove to be a great impetus project for the Belmont/Optimist Park areas.  

Made it to the private open for Birdsong last night (their grand opening is today) - I'm really impressed with the new space. They gain a ton of much needed space without the tap room feeling disproportionally big; it has a great feel and layout. The bar tops are beautifully done with reclaimed wood. They also designed the high top tables in a way I found to be kind of brilliant from a space planning standpoint, the shape of the tables allows lots of different configurations and sizes of groups, so you could be with one person or ten and find a comfortable spot. They also have a great outdoor patio space along Davidson and a new event space.

All around I think it'll prove to be a fantastic move for them, and hopefully it will prove to be a great impetus project for the Belmont/Optimist Park areas.  

You know what is Wild about the new birdsong? Its only 3-4 blocks from 1st Ward. Thats pretty damn crazy.

I was reading some stuff on Twitter last night about the new NoDa Brewing location. The owners were giving a tour to some peopled involved in the local craft beer scene. Looks like it will be 3 floors! 

Here's a few... Still some work ahead of them obviously. Pretty exciting though.

https://twitter.com/WilcoxStuff/media

EDIT:

Here's an even better look: http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Blogs/On-Tap/April-2015/NoDa-Brewing-eyes-August-opening-for-new-facility/

Edited by wend28

While I'm not involved with the local craft scene (unless you count drinking), I did get to tour yesterday unofficially. The guy from the first link is right, this place is HUGE. While talking with the owners, they said this gives them plenty of room to grow and that they wouldn't even be using all of the new place initially. The "3" floors you see in the 2nd link (pic with the circles in concrete which were the bases for the old vinegar tanks) are going to be removed because 1) the wood planks are badly decomposed in places from the decades of vinegar production and 2) it will give them the room for the tall fermentation tanks that will line the walls. The owner said it would give them 20 plus unimpeded feet to work with.

A few aspects of the building I hope they retain or don't cover up are the huge wooden beams/columns and roof members. They just don't build them like that anymore. The other thing was the floors. Part of the warehouse has old brick cobble stone floors. It was worn or damaged in some parts of the building but would look amazing if they repaired it. Either way there'll be lots of work to be done for sure to make the building their own.

One question though about permitting/planning. I talked to the owner and he said they've been in permitting or planning since November. Does it normally take this long? Or is it because the building is changing uses ie. vinegar to roofing to brewery? Or possibly the permitting/planning dept is just understaffed and behind? Forgive my ignorance on this topic. I'm just excited for this new spot to be open now. It's going to be amazing!

No, building permitting wouldn't take that long unless they're fighting the city/county over some aspects of it. ALE permitting can be brutal. If they've just been in general design planning since November, yes, that process can take many months from schematic conception through full construction document production.

In any event, my interpretation is that they started actual planning with architects/consultants in November. 

Number of Twitter followers as-of 9am Apr 10 2015 for breweries in CharMeck:

16.8K NoDa
11K OMB
9507 Birdsong
8257 TripleC
6949 Heist
4554 Ass Clown
4480 Unknown
3315 Sycamore
2070 Sugar Creek
1958 D9
1535 Lenny Boy
726 Barking Duck
607 Primal
384 Bayne

Coming soon:

4227 Salud
2129 Free Range
734 DukBone
673 Wooden Robot
204 Thirsty Nomad
174 Hob Knob
147 Blue Blaze
122 Legion
118 Avenge
no twitter Three Spirits

Number of Twitter followers as-of 9am Apr 10 2015 for breweries in CharMeck:

16.8K NoDa
11K OMB
9507 Birdsong
8257 TripleC
6949 Heist
4554 Ass Clown
4480 Unknown
3315 Sycamore
2070 Sugar Creek
1958 D9
1535 Lenny Boy
726 Barking Duck
607 Primal
384 Bayne

Coming soon:

4227 Salud
2129 Free Range
734 DukBone
673 Wooden Robot
204 Thirsty Nomad
174 Hob Knob
147 Blue Blaze
122 Legion
118 Avenge
no twitter Three Spirits

Thanks for the numbers!! Isn't Salud just a beer shop though? Or did I read somewhere they are starting something with brewing? Also, seems the numbers are almost directly related to how much tweeting they do.

Yes, Salud is adding a 1bbl system for the local homebrew club and guest brewers.

Map of breweries: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Map contains a link to the spreadsheet-format list.  The map only contains those with a location ---- the spreadsheet contains a few more with no announced location.

Lots of the "opening soon" dates have passed.  I haven't dug around deeply for any updates.

Edited by grodney

Thanks for the numbers!! Isn't Salud just a beer shop though? Or did I read somewhere they are starting something with brewing? Also, seems the numbers are almost directly related to how much tweeting they do.

Salud is planning a nano brewery (1 barrel system) that will feature "guest" brewers. 

Edit: looks like Grodney beat me to it.

Edited by InSouthPark

Charlotte Agenda has a nice update on Red Clay Ciderworks - it looks like they may indeed scrape into a spring opening. Great to see some continued momentum in the Scaleybark area!

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/1161/whats-the-status-on-red-clay-ciderworks/

Nice! Drive by there frequently going to/from the gym.  

I'm looking forward to experimenting to see what combo makes the best local snakebite! (assuming that Red Clay can make a decent cider). 

The wife and I checked out the new Birdsong location last night... Loved the space. The vibe was great. I'm also glad they chose to keep TVs out of the brewery as they did with their old location -- to really push the conversation between people. The tables had supports made from tree trunks. Some good acoustic music and they look to have a regular food truck as well.. My only minor complaint was they only had about 6-8 different beers to choose from -- I always thought 10-12 is the right mix. I'd imagine with the new location they'll have more selections available soon. Perhaps a few more seasonals or collabs. Definitely look forward to going back.