Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Yesterday I went to Unknown and CRAFT for the first time.  Unknown was dead while we were there from 4:15 to 5:30.  I like their canned offerings, but the rest of their beers continue to be unimpressive to me.  CRAFT was jumping, wow!  I realize I was there a little later (5:30-6:30), but there were tons of people, inside and out.  They appear to have that 20-something crowd locked up.  I'm pretty loyal to The Beer Growler, but CRAFT was really impressive.

Yesterday I went to Unknown and CRAFT for the first time.  Unknown was dead while we were there from 4:15 to 5:30.  I like their canned offerings, but the rest of their beers continue to be unimpressive to me.  CRAFT was jumping, wow!  I realize I was there a little later (5:30-6:30), but there were tons of people, inside and out.  They appear to have that 20-something crowd locked up.  I'm pretty loyal to The Beer Growler, but CRAFT was really impressive.

Honestly goes to show how we are no where close to critical mass on bars in this city.  Every time a new place opens, it's slam packed with people...and not at the expense of already established businesses.  

I went to Duckworth's Uptown last night and was impressed.  I'll echo what others have said in "HOLY TV'S", but it was a good place to have a beer.  The bar was packed with people watching and cheering on the Hornets and they had the garage doors open to let the breeze in.  They were also smart and have those screen mesh things over the windows to avoid bug influx in the spring.  Also, they have an armada of wait staff there.  Very happy with the end result.

The excellent post above reminded me that Sycamore has recently doubled the size of their patio. Patio space is now the entire north side of their building. 

Despite Sycamore being within walking distance of my house I have still only been once -- this was largely due to crowds. Sadly I have also been to Craft less often lately due to crowds. Despite being a grouchy, antisocial beotch, I am glad all the breweries are doing well.

"summer", huh?  And they don't have building permits yet?  Other than pessimism/skepticism on the date, I like the way it sounds.

If he has the capital to already order the tanks and other equipment (don't know that he has) but I don't see a late summer opening all that bad. Since he is a contractor himself with brewery building experience, I assume he would have his ducks in a row and is probably doing a lot of the work himself which I am sure can speed up the project.

Of course that is assuming he is well into the permitting process, not just starting it. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/20/construction-ramps-up-for-south-end-brewery.html?page=all

Wooden Robot still on target for early June opening. Excited for this place to open up! The Brewery line in South End is incredibly awesome. Remind me again though, where exactly in this warehouse thing is this going? Is it replacing Apostrophe lounge? Or in the back, basically on Winnifred?

I can't seem to find our Brewery map, can someone help a brotha out? :)

Edited by Jayvee

Wooden Robot debuted a beer a Brawleys Black and Blue, a sour IPA collaboration with Fullsteam, and it one of the bigger hits of the night. That doesn't really mean squat since it was brewed on Fullsteams system with Fullsteam's help...but a good step in getting your name out on a high quality product.  Look for it around at a few places...it was called Hop Rocks.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/20/construction-ramps-up-for-south-end-brewery.html?page=all

Wooden Robot still on target for early June opening. Excited for this place to open up! The Brewery line in South End is incredibly awesome. Remind me again though, where exactly in this warehouse thing is this going? Is it replacing Apostrophe lounge? Or in the back, basically on Winnifred?

I can't seem to find our Brewery map, can someone help a brotha out? :)

It's in the old Marigny spot, at Summit and Winnifred. So they'll have that small patio. Brass Tap is going in the old Dharma Lounge space, so they'll be neighbors with only those few spaces between. I also noticed that the Available sign at the State Farm storefront is down, so hopefully that is becoming something too. Apostrophe Lounge is still open some nights, I think. 

It also looks like the renovations to the 1-story warehouse building with the loading areas opposite on Winnifred are complete, and I am wondering what kind of places could go in there. Its actually kind of begging for yet another brewery in one spot or another, as they could build in some serious patio space in front. 

It's in the old Marigny spot, at Summit and Winnifred. So they'll have that small patio. Brass Tap is going in the old Dharma Lounge space, so they'll be neighbors with only those few spaces between. I also noticed that the Available sign at the State Farm storefront is down, so hopefully that is becoming something too. Apostrophe Lounge is still open some nights, I think. 

It also looks like the renovations to the 1-story warehouse building with the loading areas opposite on Winnifred are complete, and I am wondering what kind of places could go in there. Its actually kind of begging for yet another brewery in one spot or another, as they could build in some serious patio space in front. 

Culinary School and Office/Retail Space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/03/20/charlotte-knights-to-have-more-craft-beer-on-tap.html?page=all

More overpriced craft beer @ BB&T Ballpark this year! They're gonna have a craft beer garden (going to be near section 102 down the right field line), called Crafts of the Queen City. "The craft-beer space will be dedicated to beverages from six Charlotte-area breweries. Plans call for six taps, with each brewery providing one selection." So thats really cool.

Love this, only issue I have is that area by 102 is already REALLY congested, not sure where they are finding the room for this unless they do it on the party deck.

Edited by Jayvee

CBJ has a 64-beer tournament bracket, featuring lots of #cltbeer.  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/madness/beer-madness/

I'm not a fan, as all these breweries will be clogging up my tweeter feed for the next month, linking and re-tweeting the bracket and begging for votes.

Anyway, the Final 4 will be Hop Drop (cruising) vs Wicked Weed Freak (beating both Jalapeno and OMB Baltic on its way) on the left side, and Cold Mountain (edging OMB Copper) and Mecktoberfest on the right.  Hop Drop will beat Freak, while Mecktoberfest will finally defeat that syrupy sweet Cold Mountain, with Hop Drop claiming its rightful place by winning the whole thing.

UPDATE:  We're down to the Elite 8.  2 of my Final 4 are gone.  I really thought the OMB fans would come out and get Mecktoberfest into the Final 4, but it lost decisively to Baby Maker.  Also, in another region, a double upset with Green Man ESB beating Cold Mountain (what?  I mean I don't like Cold Mountain, but people go CRAZY for it), and Heist Spirit of 77 (what?) beat Sexual Chocolate.  Can't explain either of those.

So anyway, here are the matchups:

Hop Drop vs. Sierra Nevada Pale -- Hop Drop currently in a SLIM lead, it shouldn't be this close

Freak of Nature vs. Sycamore Countryside IPA -- wow Sycamore's coolguy status with the 20s crowd is amazing, Sycamore currently leading

Heist Spirit of 77 vs. Green Man ESB -- Heist is killing, and I don't get it

Baby Maker vs Higher Ground -- Baby Maker leading pretty big right now

I realize the results are just click contests by fans spurred by social media, BUT STILL.

Vote: I think this link will work:  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/pulse/survey/cbjs-carolinas-beer-madness-round-4/16875821  If not, go here: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/madness/beer-madness/

Bracket:  http://media.bizj.us/view/img/5398011/carolinas-beer-madness-round-4-final.pdf

p.s. My predictions were predictions, not my votes.

Edited by grodney