Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Duckworth's Uptown has their soft opening tomorrow (for lunch and dinner) and opens to the public on March 2. The Cellar is not opening until April/May.

Can't wait to check this out tomorrow. I think this place will absolutely kill it uptown.  Great specials, decent food and good price point, and typically has bartenders who understand beer. 

I will note, I hope they do make the upstairs a bit more nightlife friendly after dinner hours, or at the very least, make themselves stand out from Carolina Ale House.

In other news:

The Thirsty Nomad is now selling "memberships", which get you free beer.  Lots of free beer.  The "memberships" are allegedly money-back to you if they don't raise 100K by end-of-year.  You can also discuss ownership stakes with them, starting at 10K.  

To my knowledge and as far as I can find, they don't have a location specified.

http://thirstynomadbrewing.com/founders-memberships/

It's a beer co-op! I dig it.

No.  See article in Observer.http://obswhatsinstore.blogspot.com/2015/02/duckworths-to-open-massive-uptown-bar.html

In other news:

The Thirsty Nomad is now selling "memberships", which get you free beer.  Lots of free beer.  The "memberships" are allegedly money-back to you if they don't raise 100K by end-of-year.  You can also discuss ownership stakes with them, starting at 10K.  

To my knowledge and as far as I can find, they don't have a location specified.

http://thirstynomadbrewing.com/founders-memberships/

Option 1: Tribe Membership: $500 

The Tribe is a membership program for those that want the inside scoop on the latest events and releases from Thirsty Nomad. You’ll be the first to know about upcoming festival appearances and special events like bottle shares and pairing dinners - before we announce them publicly. You’ll also receive a guaranteed pint of our weekly “Mad Scientist” experimental batch releases. Your $500 makes you a supporting member of Thirsty Nomad. While Tribe Membership will be available after we open, it will cost more.

Option 2: Founder’s Pints: $1000 

This membership level gets you the inside scoop on events plus access to unlimited free pints of beer for the life of the brewery. Some restrictions apply. This membership opportunity is only available before our grand opening.

Option 3: Founder’s Growler: $1250 

At this membership level, you’ll be able to receive what will undoubtedly be a welcome and free 64oz growler fill per week for the life of the brewery. This membership opportunity is only available before our grand opening.

I really dig that steam punk theme.

Making themselves stand out from Carolina Ale House shouldn't be too hard in my opinion...

Ale House is the Showmars of bars.

I don't mind Showmars, in fact I'll occasionally grab a bite there if I'm in a rush. But when im inside, I can't tell one from another. But at least they are kinda local, so I don't feel as bad.

Ale House is the Showmars of bars.

I don't mind Showmars, in fact I'll occasionally grab a bite there if I'm in a rush. But when im inside, I can't tell one from another. But at least they are kinda local, so I don't feel as bad.

The only reason I said that was I've heard from numerous people (after telling them about this place) "sounds like ale house". And this is from commoners, not drinking aficionados like us. So that's why I think they need to stand out right.

• Like 2

Can't think of a good way to run a pool/bet on the order of these things happening:

Birdsong - New Location
Salud Nano
Free Range Brewing
Three Spirits Brewing
Wooden Robot Brewing
Legion Brewing
NoDa Brewing - 2nd Location

I'm very ready for Birdsong and Free Range.  Birdsong because it will mean canning -- I hope I like their new location, not that I get to NoDa very often.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

Ok not to nitpick a good thing too much but that might be an obnoxious number of TVs. 

I was in vegas 2 weeks ago betting on the Hornets, you should have seen the amount of TVs in the sports betting section of the MGM Grand. This is nothing :-).

Self-service taps?  I hadn't heard of that one before.  Though I have a Duckworth's very nearby in Ballantyne, this place uptown will obviously be a great pre-Hornets option.

Yea, I've seen this before in Tampa I think it was... Pretty cool concept. As long as you know how to pour beer :)

I'll be going to the Cellar in July if anyone wants to Join :-)

Sounds like a winner to me..

r a beer :)

I went to Duckworth's soft opening last night and was impressed. Great looking space. Yes, there are 50"+ TV's everywhere...definitely not a place to grab a quite dinner but not overwhelming. This will be the top sports bar uptown for sure.

Due to the impending snowpocalypse that was coming, I didn't wander around much other than getting to my table. Same good food and service as the other locations. 

My favorite feature....the beer list on ipads. Click on a beer to see details. Search for beers. They also had this at Dogwoods and I thought it was great.

Side note, there is another soft opening Friday. It wasn't very crowded at 6pm last night due to the crappy weather. I am sure they want to have a packed house to work out the kinks.  Anyways, people were just coming in off the street and were re-directed to the bar area. They wouldn't seat you in the dining room w/o a reservation but you could go to the bar area for drinks (maybe food as well but not sure since food was 50% off).. 

The details on The Cellar really put me at ease. No TVs thank god. Even though the Park rd location has plenty of screens and I've enjoyed watching games there I guess I never thought of it as a sports bar. It makes sense, but if you'd asked me what kind of bar uptown really lacks, it wouldn't have been sports bar, even if Duckworths does easily become the best one. 

Edited by nonillogical

The details on The Cellar really put me at ease. No TVs thank god. Even though the Park rd location has plenty of screens and I've enjoyed watching games there I guess I never thought of it as a sports bar. It makes sense, but if you'd asked me what kind of bar uptown really lacks, it wouldn't have been sports bar, even if Duckworths does easily become the best one. 

The Park Rd location isn't really setup as a sports bar but the Ballantyne one is. Duckworths Uptown likely will be known as a beer bar with decent food that doubles as a sports bar, not just a place to watch the game. The folks looking to catch the game with $8 pitchers of Miller Lite won't be going here (except maybe for Monday night $3.50 specials).   

Edited by InSouthPark