Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

T Macs in Southpark has this. There are a handful of tables near the bar that have three taps each.

I forgot about this, mostly because I boycotted T-Macs... Per my other comment, the one I saw in Tampa had like 20 self service taps in one spot. They gave you a card that you scanned and it measured what you poured. Will be interested to see if the one at Duckworth's is similar.

I forgot about this, mostly because I boycotted T-Macs... Per my other comment, the one I saw in Tampa had like 20 self service taps in one spot. They gave you a card that you scanned and it measured what you poured. Will be interested to see if the one at Duckworth's is similar.

Yeah, I gave them a shot when they first open but have since given up on them. The card scanning thing you mentioned reminds me of a really cool wine bar in Orlando that did a very similar thing. Charge a card and choose your vino with 1, 2 ,and 3 ounce options with a quick swipe. That is more appropriate for another thread I guess though.

Winestore in Blakeney (Ballantyne-ish) has the wine charge-card 1-, 2-, 3-ounce thingy as go_vertical describes.  It is awesome.  Don't know if their other locations have it.  In case any of you have access to a Winestore and haven't gone, I HIGHLY recommend it.  Local, nice, statewide price match for anything they have in stock.  And the Blakeney one has a small selection of local beers (don't know if the other locations do) in their fridge.

Just got back from lunch at Duckworth's. Food is great no question, beer selection is fantastic no question, staff is very friendly and atmosphere is nice. But overall its just a Taco Mac that doesn't suck, lots of TVs and lots of taps. It's a beer drinking/sports watching bar, which is fine, but its not something that Charlotte, or uptown for that matter, doesn't have.

The Cellar is definitely going to be unique, definitely going to be something Charlote has never seen before, and that is what I am excited for.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2

I was Uptown with a group of people Saturday night.  We ate dinner at Dandelion Market and then decided to grab drinks elsewhere.  Walked over to Connolly's which appeared pretty dead from the exterior and to my surprise, they still expected 8 of us to each pay $5 at the door to get in!  We didn't even bother trying to talk to the guy, just walked right around the corner to RiRa where we walked right inside and gave them our business.  No cover.  We ended up spending a large majority of our evening there, and I couldn't help but keep thinking how the mentality that Connolly's is hopefully dying out.

I like Connolly's, but it's beyond me that they would easily turn away 8 people over $40.  I hope we are getting close to a point in uptown where people are just refusing to drink at establishments that charge a cover while offering literally nothing except "going inside" in return.

La fin.

I was Uptown with a group of people Saturday night.  We ate dinner at Dandelion Market and then decided to grab drinks elsewhere.  Walked over to Connolly's which appeared pretty dead from the exterior and to my surprise, they still expected 8 of us to each pay $5 at the door to get in!  We didn't even bother trying to talk to the guy, just walked right around the corner to RiRa where we walked right inside and gave them our business.  No cover.  We ended up spending a large majority of our evening there, and I couldn't help but keep thinking how the mentality that Connolly's is hopefully dying out.

I like Connolly's, but it's beyond me that they would easily turn away 8 people over $40.  I hope we are getting close to a point in uptown where people are just refusing to drink at establishments that charge a cover while offering literally nothing except "going inside" in return.

La fin.

:) :) :) :) Hey hey! This is what I'm talkin about! Dandelion charges cover too ($5 for guys, girls free), and Phil's & Fitzgerald's used to, but I am not sure if they do now that they are "The Local" (anyone know?). I echo your comments on that it is ridiculous that a place like Connolly's charges cover (Blackfinn, Prohibition, Sip, etc too), as it's nothing more than a regular bar. My friends were at Connolly's on Friday and said the same thing, that it was dead.

I hope you're right in saying that the cover culture may be dying out, but it might just be a product of CIAA weekend though. Ri Ra's used to charge covers but it's good to hear they don't anymore. Covers at a regular bar would NEVER fly in downtown Cleveland for example. We just need more options that don't charge cover to take business away from the ones that do. Duckworth's is not charging covers.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Duckworth's (that's good to hear), RiRa, Belfast Mill, Hooligans, Valhalla, French Quarter, Ale House and Mortimers are all bars that I know do not charge a cover in uptown.  I remember a time when RiRa's did, but I guess they got wise to it.  Any others?

Duckworth's (that's good to hear), RiRa, Belfast Mill, Hooligans, Valhalla, French Quarter, Ale House and Mortimers are all bars that I know do not charge a cover in uptown.  I remember a time when RiRa's did, but I guess they got wise to it.  Any others?

Rooftop 210 does not, 5 church and all the other restaurant bars do not, I think Strike City only charges when there are sporting events. But yes that's it....a little pathetic isn't it, when you have the scales tipped SO much more towards covers?

Almost everywhere in the epi except Mortimers (Tin Roof, Bubble and Suite I understand, Blackfinn, Whiskey River, Howl at the Moon and Wild Wing Cafe I don't), Prohibition, Sip, The Local (confirmation?), Fitzgeralds (confirmation?), Dandelion Market, Connolly's, Roxbury, Republic, Phoenix, BAR Charlotte, Tilt. 

To me it seems the reason why we have covers is there is so little to choose from.  We only have like 20 bars in uptown, Austin for example, has like a quadrillion.

Edited by Jayvee

I thought this thread was about beer and not cover charges?

While cover charges aren't directly about an exact style, brand, or brewery I think the discussion of them can work in this thread. I may get flagged or warned for this, but comments like this are exactly why I choose not to post very often. You seem to have an issue with people's posts almost weekly. Why so much negativity?

• Like 1

I used to frequent Connolly's often but haven't had the chance to in a while. Connolly's doesn't serve food so they have to offer a membership card. If you don't have a card, they charge you a cover. I don't know what a membership fee is these days, but when I got mine it was $10 for a lifetime membership. I only remember because I was the 12th member to sign up right after it opened. LOL.  I always carry my Connolly's card in my wallet, you never know when you might end up there. Im sure I will be there St. Patricks Day. 

I used to frequent Connolly's often but haven't had the chance to in a while. Connolly's doesn't serve food so they have to offer a membership card. If you don't have a card, they charge you a cover. I don't know what a membership fee is these days, but when I got mine it was $10 for a lifetime membership. I only remember because I was the 12th member to sign up right after it opened. LOL.  I always carry my Connolly's card in my wallet, you never know when you might end up there. Im sure I will be there St. Patricks Day. 

Do they still do this?! I have never heard of anything like that there.

While cover charges aren't directly about an exact style, brand, or brewery I think the discussion of them can work in this thread. I may get flagged or warned for this, but comments like this are exactly why I choose not to post very often. You seem to have an issue with people's posts almost weekly. Why so much negativity?

So I should agree with what everyone says every time? C'mon. There are plenty of other threads to talk about cover charges... I don't want to pay them, but when I see a thread about drinking beer (hence this title) that's what I come hear to read and discuss. As far as me complaining weekly about someone's post, well that's certainly your opinion and you're entitled to it... People going off topic constantly bugs me (and this cover charge complaining is a consistent thing with Jayvee). Sorry if that's offensive to anyone.

So I should agree with what everyone says every time? C'mon. There are plenty of other threads to talk about cover charges... I don't want to pay them, but when I see a thread about drinking beer (hence this title) that's what I come hear to read and discuss. As far as me complaining weekly about someone's post, well that's certainly your opinion and you're entitled to it... People going off topic constantly bugs me (and this cover charge complaining is a consistent thing with Jayvee). Sorry if that's offensive to anyone.

lol

What thread would you prefer then wend82?  I'd be happy to accommodate your request.  Is there a more appropriate thread that you feel is better?  I need some very specific guidelines here so that I don't cross any boundaries in the future.

• Like 1

There are plenty of other threads to talk about cover charges... I don't want to pay them, but when I see a thread about drinking beer (hence this title) that's what I come hear to read and discuss...People going off topic constantly bugs me.

I fail to see how a discussion on cover charges at uptown bars is off topic. Cover charges serve as an impediment to drinking beer in Charlotte. This is a thread about drinking beer in Charlotte.

I fail to see how a discussion on cover charges at uptown bars is off topic. Cover charges serve as an impediment to drinking beer in Charlotte. This is a thread about drinking beer in Charlotte.

Maybe we should create a thread called "Attempting to drink beer in Charlotte".

• Like 3

Then I have a suggestion. Peruse through the previous 46 pages of posts and ask a moderator to remove every single post that doesn't directly refer to pouring fermented hops and barley down someone's gullet. Please, make sure not to miss a single one because I'm sure there are a countless number of them. We should remove all the posts about Stone's east coast search because they don't have anything to do about Charlotte since they didn't choose us. We should also take out all the posts about general beer culture in cities like Raleigh, Asheville, etc. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass, but I hope you see my point. We already had a member that was too hardline on what he thought was "appropriate" and it got extremely old to the majority of members here.

Then I have a suggestion. Peruse through the previous 46 pages of posts and ask a moderator to remove every single post that doesn't directly refer to pouring fermented hops and barley down someone's gullet. Please, make sure not to miss a single one because I'm sure there are a countless number of them. We should remove all the posts about Stone's east coast search because they don't have anything to do about Charlotte since they didn't choose us. We should also take out all the posts about general beer culture in cities like Raleigh, Asheville, etc. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass, but I hope you see my point. We already had a member that was too hardline on what he thought was "appropriate" and it got extremely old to the majority of members here.

It's becoming a monsoon of negativity in this thread  :P

• Like 4

CBJ has a 64-beer tournament bracket, featuring lots of #cltbeer.  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/madness/beer-madness/

I'm not a fan, as all these breweries will be clogging up my tweeter feed for the next month, linking and re-tweeting the bracket and begging for votes.

Anyway, the Final 4 will be Hop Drop (cruising) vs Wicked Weed Freak (beating both Jalapeno and OMB Baltic on its way) on the left side, and Cold Mountain (edging OMB Copper) and Mecktoberfest on the right.  Hop Drop will beat Freak, while Mecktoberfest will finally defeat that syrupy sweet Cold Mountain, with Hop Drop claiming its rightful place by winning the whole thing.

obligatoryOnTopic: Triple C is installing and testing their canning line today.  All quiet from Birdsong (on their move) and Free Range (on their opening).  We can never know about the days to come

But we think about them anyway. Anticipation. Is keeping me waiting.