Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

As posted on the twitters, Legion got their building permit, and Birdsong got in their first shipment of empty Jalapeno cans.

6 breweries (counting Salud and NoDa), 1 cidery, and 2(?) distilleries by end-of-year?

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

Carolina Beer Temple (Matthews) is doing a 12-tap 12-brewery (all Meck county) takeover today.

OMB Anniversary Alt

NoDa Caramel Salted Imperial Stout

Birdsong Higher Ground

Triple C Golden Boy

Unknown Let's Get Tropical IPA

Lenny Boy Life in the South Lager

Ass Clown Coconut Coffee Milk Stout

Barking Duck Tart of War Sour Porter

Sugar Creek Raspberry Wit

D9 Loch Norman Scottish Ale

Sycamore Rock Irish Coffee Brown

Bayne Brown IPA

I guess all they are missing is Primal and Heist.

• Like 1

Yesterday while at Sycamore I was talking to a couple that had just moved from Colorado a month ago to plan/open another new brewery in Charlotte near the current Olde Meck location.

Their plan is an all sour nano-brewery on a small 2 barrel system. No idea if they were crazy or what not. They told me the name of the brewery but now for the life of me can't remember the name. They want to start really small and grow organically as they didn't have the money to start with a 15 barrel system.  They would join Red Clay, the Doc Porters Distillary, Sugar Creek, and Olde Meck in that little brewing cluster.  

They would join Red Clay, the Doc Porters Distillary, Sugar Creek, and Olde Meck in that little brewing cluster.  

And the Great Wagon Road distillery, as well:  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/incoming/article10432325.html

Speaking of Sugar Creek, we went there Friday and were surprised by how dead it was.  We were there 6:15-7:45, and I don't think there were more than 20 people there at any one time.  4-10 outside, and another 4-10 inside it seemed.  Maybe 30 tops if I'm underestimating.  Meanwhile, the streets were lined with cars, presumably owned by people at OMB.  I've never had a bad experience at Sugar Creek (unlike OMB), and their beers are different and fine, and it was a gorgeous evening, so as I said -- surprising to me.

(Not to compare Sugar Creek to OMB --- I get that OMB is gigantic and has huge public momentum and a full menu and whatnot.)

And the Great Wagon Road distillery, as well:  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/incoming/article10432325.html

Speaking of Sugar Creek, we went there Friday and were surprised by how dead it was.  We were there 6:15-7:45, and I don't think there were more than 20 people there at any one time.  4-10 outside, and another 4-10 inside it seemed.  Maybe 30 tops if I'm underestimating.  Meanwhile, the streets were lined with cars, presumably owned by people at OMB.  I've never had a bad experience at Sugar Creek (unlike OMB), and their beers are different and fine, and it was a gorgeous evening, so as I said -- surprising to me.

(Not to compare Sugar Creek to OMB --- I get that OMB is gigantic and has huge public momentum and a full menu and whatnot.)

Hopefully they have good enough contracts with Bars in the area to keep them afloat. I Like their beer, when I've had it at hornets games.

This brings up an interesting conversation I had at Sycamore Brewing yesterday. My wife and I met some friends there. She is mostly a wine drinker but does like Pale Ales and IPAs as far as beers go. Sycamore has had various versions of both kinds of beers. I think I finally struck out with her on their beer (this is the 3rd time we've been here in the last 2 months). I again had her try the Countryside IPA. She didn't like it at all... first comment was "How in the world did this beat out Hop Drop n Roll in that Beer Madness contest?" I wondered the same thing. Sycamore must have either rigged the voting or had a whole lot of family and friends help them out. No way that's a better beer than HDnR. Off my soap box about that. I did hear from several other people though with similar opinions about Sycamore. The common theme is "It's a great location, great patio and entertainment but the beer is just ok". I would agree with that. I love the location but aside from a few beers there, I've never been overly impressed. Makes me wonder about Sugar Creek if they had that same location. If Sycamore can always be packed and serve just OK beer, imagine what NoDa, Sugar Creek or some of the other better breweries would do in that location (I excluded Birdsong and OMB because they already have new digs).

Did anyone know about Riverman Brewing in Belmont? I just saw a groupon for a tasting and brewery tour. 

http://www.rivermenbrewingcompany.com/home.html

Yep, knew about them.  I guess it's home-county bias, but I tend to focus on Meck County, even though breweries in Lancaster, Waxhaw, Rock Hill, Belmont, etc are probably closer to me than the ones in Cornelius and Huntersville.

This brings up an interesting conversation I had at Sycamore Brewing yesterday. My wife and I met some friends there. She is mostly a wine drinker but does like Pale Ales and IPAs as far as beers go. Sycamore has had various versions of both kinds of beers. I think I finally struck out with her on their beer (this is the 3rd time we've been here in the last 2 months). I again had her try the Countryside IPA. She didn't like it at all... first comment was "How in the world did this beat out Hop Drop n Roll in that Beer Madness contest?" I wondered the same thing. Sycamore must have either rigged the voting or had a whole lot of family and friends help them out. No way that's a better beer than HDnR. Off my soap box about that. I did hear from several other people though with similar opinions about Sycamore. The common theme is "It's a great location, great patio and entertainment but the beer is just ok". I would agree with that. I love the location but aside from a few beers there, I've never been overly impressed. Makes me wonder about Sugar Creek if they had that same location. If Sycamore can always be packed and serve just OK beer, imagine what NoDa, Sugar Creek or some of the other better breweries would do in that location (I excluded Birdsong and OMB because they already have new digs).

The only beers of theirs that truly impress me are their bourbon barrel aged beers, particularly Feats of Strength. One of the better bourbon barrel stouts I've had. They definitely have not figured out their IPAs yet, though my friends who are into the lighter varieties seem to like their golden and wheats.

The only beers of theirs that truly impress me are their bourbon barrel aged beers, particularly Feats of Strength. One of the better bourbon barrel stouts I've had. They definitely have not figured out their IPAs yet, though my friends who are into the lighter varieties seem to like their golden and wheats.

I would agree. I had the BBA Feats of Strength yesterday and enjoyed it. Both Sycamore and Triple C do a nice job with the bourbon barrel aged beers IMO...  

So then how in the hell did they win Best Beer?

Oh that was just a social media popularity contest. 

Then how does a place with 2.5k followers lose a social media popularity contest with someone with 18k followers.

I'm working on a project to launch a Home Brewers Cooperative/ Macrobrewery Incubator in one of the historic downtowns of a small town near Charlotte. My partner has a 19th Century warehouse that we want to turn into a creative magnet for young people in the region.

The basic Idea would be like an Incubator for Small business, but for Home Brewers and people that have a solid business plan that are in need of some exposure. 

The idea would be that you would rent space, and maybe equipment on a monthly lease, just like any Incubator. The difference is, you would establish a dedicated tap room, where your brewers can showcase their newest creations and even be able to make a small profit off of it. Best "Brews of the Week" would be chosen and showcased. We would also do monthly "Tap Takeover" to the best selling brewer for that month, and for larger local breweries to join in on. 

I'm also thinking we would have adjoining greenspace where people, if they so desire, can grow their own raw materials. 

What do you guys think of this concept?

Do you think people will travel 30-45 min outside of Charlotte to go to a concept like this?

If you were going to do something similar what would you want in the project. 

Please don't spread that I'm working on this concept, as its in its infancy, and I really trust you guys and your input. 

Status?  Updates?

Has anyone tried the BrewPublik beer subscription service yet? I was thinking of giving it a try and was wondering if anyone had experienced them yet.

http://www.brewpublik.com/

If you're interested click the link.  Listen if you like soccer, if not there's a Brewpublik treat in there for you.

http://www.crowntownsoccer.com/s01e08-us-open-cup-eagles-season-opener/

Olde Meck Copper at Speed Street for $6/bottle (12oz).  That's $3 cheaper than 12oz of "local craft" at the Wells Fargo.

Updated my list and map for "late June" for Wooden Robot.  Last estimate was "early June".  Should we have a pool or something for for opening dates of Wooden Robot, Free Range, Legion, and Three Spirits?

Map with link to list: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Also, Thirsty Nomad has been at a couple festivals, and is looking at 3 locations this week.  I think he might end up in Concord, which would remove it from my CharMeck list.

Edited by grodney

Olde Meck Copper at Speed Street for $6/bottle (12oz).  That's $3 cheaper than 12oz of "local craft" at the Wells Fargo.

Updated my list and map for "late June" for Wooden Robot.  Last estimate was "early June".  Should we have a pool or something for for opening dates of Wooden Robot, Free Range, Legion, and Three Spirits?

Map with link to list: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Also, Thirsty Nomad has been at a couple festivals, and is looking at 3 locations this week.  I think he might end up in Concord, which would remove it from my CharMeck list.

Construction at Legion is humming along now.